Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
Ok, im gonna comment on a couple of things 1st...



poor abo... ;)



Sorry to dissagree with you here, m8, but he always had the knowhow, and Sporting made him what he is. true, he plays in a more competitive league and with greater talent at his side, but make no mistake here.
I disagree there. I think Sporting turned Ronaldo into a kid with extrodinary potential - which is a great achievemant, but Manutd turned him from a kid with extrodinary potential into a world beater.

I saw a video on Ronaldo earlier where he was getting booe'd by the Portugeeze fans - he didn't seem to happy then and he did a couple of gestures to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I think one thing Ronaldo isn't enjoying at the moment is being in the shadow of Rooney. With Wayne in the form he is in at the moment, Ronaldo isn't the main man as he was last season and I think that's hard for him to take.

I can't quite make my mind up if he's not performing because because he hasn't quite found his feet again this season, he doesn't want to be in the shadow of Rooney or because simply, his heart is already in Madrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Some of these posts are so ridiculous you nearly have to laugh. If you don't like his attitiude in the summer and you want to criticise his personality fair enough.

But oh my god, Rooney is still miles away from him. Ronaldo put in the performances Rooney did in his last few games in almost every game last season. Someone said that it was a mistake for him to stay and we should have got Ashley Young.

Ye let's get rid of the best player in the world and replace him with someone who can't get in the England squad.

So he showed a bit of arrogance after scoring, he did it all last year as well. He hasn't played to his full potential but has been involved in a goal in every game since he came back. He is still the best player in the world and how about we get behind him, I'm sure thats what Sir Alex would want.
 

·
Pz
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Some of these posts are so ridiculous you nearly have to laugh. If you don't like his attitiude in the summer and you want to criticise his personality fair enough.

But oh my god, Rooney is still miles away from him. Ronaldo put in the performances Rooney did in his last few games in almost every game last season. Someone said that it was a mistake for him to stay and we should have got Ashley Young.

Ye let's get rid of the best player in the world and replace him with someone who can't get in the England squad.

So he showed a bit of arrogance after scoring, he did it all last year as well. He hasn't played to his full potential but has been involved in a goal in every game since he came back. He is still the best player in the world and how about we get behind him, I'm sure thats what Sir Alex would want.

Quality post mate and i usually always see eye to eye with you.

As for the whole rooney and ronaldo thing i agree, rooney is still way behind ronaldo yet. And Ronaldo has been doing this and more for the last 24 months.

Ronaldo does seems abit dissillusioned with the support he is recieving...or is not possibly but more so at just being at his best yet. He has had no pre season and yet he has scored 3 goals and 3 assists and is no where near his best. Thats just showing the quality he brings to the game. Also he does seem more frustrated at not being fully at his best yet, it has nothing to do with rooney currently having so much press on him at the moment. He probably witnesses this by the brit media every year for a few games when rooney plays well, they overhype each thing he does beyond belief.

I also think Ashley young is in nanis league, not ronaldos imo but plays in a different system where he has a target man (carew) and is nowhere near the quality of ronaldo.

As for rooneys current form, we're seeing the same old hype again. He has played very very well in the last couple of weeks and suddenly the british hype goest wayyy over the top again. I know its nice having a guy who is british and has alot of potential but its like the media and fans overhype him so much that it really becomes a detterrent to his development. Lets see how long he can keep this current form yet instead of going over the top.

pz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Some of these posts are so ridiculous you nearly have to laugh. If you don't like his attitiude in the summer and you want to criticise his personality fair enough.

But oh my god, Rooney is still miles away from him. Ronaldo put in the performances Rooney did in his last few games in almost every game last season. Someone said that it was a mistake for him to stay and we should have got Ashley Young.

Ye let's get rid of the best player in the world and replace him with someone who can't get in the England squad.

So he showed a bit of arrogance after scoring, he did it all last year as well. He hasn't played to his full potential but has been involved in a goal in every game since he came back. He is still the best player in the world and how about we get behind him, I'm sure thats what Sir Alex would want.

Were they as ridiculous as saying Darren Fletcher is better than Owen Hargreaves? :rolleyes:

It was not only against WBA that Ronaldo didn't celebrate or didn't smile after scoring - he hasn't smiled at all after scoring this season.

Not after his scoring against Boro or against Bolton.

There's no or little point having the greatest player in the world if his heart is not in it.
As soon as Fergie can find a suitable replacement, Ronnie is out the door.

When it comes to the tail end of the season and legs get tired and the games are important, team spirit will count for a lot and it helped man utd a lot last season.

By the same token Drogba and Ben Haim were making unhappy noises in the Chelsea camp and it sure didn't help their cause.

Yes, Ronaldo deserves to win the Ballon d'Or and he is very, very talented, but I would not want to see too much more of his unhappiness.

I have not seen it in my time as a Man Utd fan and it is very hard for me to bear.

Becks and Ruud weren't sold because they wanted to leave only Heinze was and that happened over the course of 1 summer and we didn't have to see his unhappy face playing in a man utd jersey.

If Ronaldo is having some problems in his personal life, then I can understand, but not smiling at all after three goals seems very suspicious to me and of course that suspicion is born out of his actions over the summer.

You can't expect us all to starting loving him again immediately. It will take a lot for me to sing his name again and there are many others who feel that way.

I do not put results before loyalty.

Yes, he's been professional and is helping us get results, but I'd rather have every man committed to the cause and maybe not be as successful as we would be with Ronaldo on board, but at least you have camaraderie, proper team spirit, loyalty and honesty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Some of these posts are so ridiculous you nearly have to laugh. If you don't like his attitiude in the summer and you want to criticise his personality fair enough.

But oh my god, Rooney is still miles away from him. Ronaldo put in the performances Rooney did in his last few games in almost every game last season. Someone said that it was a mistake for him to stay and we should have got Ashley Young.

Ye let's get rid of the best player in the world and replace him with someone who can't get in the England squad.

So he showed a bit of arrogance after scoring, he did it all last year as well. He hasn't played to his full potential but has been involved in a goal in every game since he came back. He is still the best player in the world and how about we get behind him, I'm sure thats what Sir Alex would want.
I so agree with you. I stuck by Ronnie all through the summer i really wanted him to stay, glad he did. I love watching him play and all this arrogance thing is because he is young he will grow out of it in time.

i am behind him 100% and i'm sad to read some of the negative comments about him :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
stretty said:
Well i must admit he is not my favourite player at the moment and i have not sung his song with any feeling, in fact i just mumbled it.
We had a conversation in the car on the way home and all of us agreed that we should FORGIVE AND FORGET , because at the end of the day we are just helping to drive our prize asset out of the door.
I am sure after a couple of games when his song is sung with feeling again , we will all the see a more cheerful ronaldo.
I think he is sulking and cannot understand why he has gone from from hero to zero overnight.
Obviously we all think that he will leave in the summer , but we shouldnt play any part in his departure , so lets get behind him and just hope by some miracle our best player decides to stay.
I hope we draw real and put them to the sword and show him who the best team in the world are
Ronaldo's attitude at the moment reminds me of someone trying to find the courage to tell his girlfriend its over . He seem's to be going through the motions at this time . If thats how strongly he feels about his need to play football elsewhere then grow some balls and put in a transfer request .
Otherwise I think there is the potential to unsettle the whole squad . There are bound to be players who will side with him and his beliefs . His body language spoke volumes to me yesterday and reading between the lines he sure a heck does not want to be at United for a day longer than necessary . Its something I've never experienced a supporter in all the time I've been supporting United .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
dublin red said:
Ronaldo's attitude at the moment reminds me of someone trying to find the courage to tell his girlfriend its over . He seem's to be going through the motions at this time . If thats how strongly he feels about his need to play football elsewhere then grow some balls and put in a transfer request .
Otherwise I think there is the potential to unsettle the whole squad . There are bound to be players who will side with him and his beliefs . His body language spoke volumes to me yesterday and reading between the lines he sure a heck does not want to be at United for a day longer than necessary . Its something I've never experienced a supporter in all the time I've been supporting United .
i agree 100% with you. yeh he is the best when he wants but i would rather have a happy committed team playing rather than an unsettled team due to one person who isnt getting his own way.
why in any interview wont he say
" i love manchester united and this is where i want to be ??"
is that so difficult to say??
no he says
"it in gods hands and i agree with sepp blatters comments"

after reading posts about there may be something happening in his personal life. . . . dont take it to work with you. if we did that surley we would be questioned at work so its no different for him.
i have never seen scholsey, giggs, ole, neville etc etc bringing personal problems onto the pitch. . . . no because they are proffessionals.

he needs to grow up and realise Manchester United has a huge squad of players most wanting to play and get a chance to shine.

he is not bigger than Manchester United
 

·
I aim to Misbehave
Joined
·
6,371 Posts
TheManc said:
I disagree there. I think Sporting turned Ronaldo into a kid with extrodinary potential - which is a great achievemant, but Manutd turned him from a kid with extrodinary potential into a world beater.

I saw a video on Ronaldo earlier where he was getting booe'd by the Portugeeze fans - he didn't seem to happy then and he did a couple of gestures to them.
Sorry, you're wrong. And if you knew a bit better the story around his signing, you would agree with me.

If SAF didn't take him them, someone else would. His plan was to watch him for another year, but when he saw him play in our new stadium inaugural match, he knew. He said it himself, if they didn't buy him then, they'd risk loosing him to another team. Not to rain on your parade, but he'd have risen to the top where ever he'd be.


And yes, our national side has been lackluster recently. loosing at home to denmark at the last minutes, drawing with -insert low level national side here- at home, playing badly in sweden, and again drawing what could have easily been won. Queiroz is doing a ****-poor job atm, and the squad looks like a buntch of stars trying to outshide each other. And they got booed, and he didn't like it, the poor boy, who played miserably.
Pardon my french, but ***** him, and his star struck mates.

so yeah, i'd definitly say that's weighting heavily on his mind atm.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
Sorry, you're wrong. And if you knew a bit better the story around his signing, you would agree with me.

If SAF didn't take him them, someone else would. His plan was to watch him for another year, but when he saw him play in our new stadium inaugural match, he knew. He said it himself, if they didn't buy him then, they'd risk loosing him to another team. Not to rain on your parade, but he'd have risen to the top where ever he'd be.

And yes, our national side has been lackluster recently. loosing at home to denmark at the last minutes, drawing with -insert low level national side here- at home, playing badly in sweden, and again drawing what could have easily been won. Queiroz is doing a ****-poor job atm, and the squad looks like a buntch of stars trying to outshide each other. And they got booed, and he didn't like it, the poor boy, who played miserably.
Pardon my french, but ***** him, and his star struck mates.

so yeah, i'd definitly say that's weighting heavily on his mind atm.
You can't say that. There have been many great young talents over the years who haven't developed as expected.

You've got that kid Kerlon, Adu, Fowler ect - all tipped to be world class players and set the wold alight but there development stopped. Even players like Totti haven't developed as expected. He was tipped to be the best thing since slice bread, but now he is 'just' a very, very good player.

How many Brazilians, Argentinian or French 18 year olds do we hear about who have been incredible for there young age, only for them to fail to reach there potential when there 23?

Thats what we have done. If Ronaldo had gone to Milan or Madrid he wouldn't be the same as he is now. He may heave been better, but IMO probably worse. Fergie is better than anyone else in the world at bringing the full potential out of younger players.

Sporting did a great job in helping his progress as a kid, they worked with him and let him increase his skills until he became a kid with great potential, but we turned that potential into reality - something that I don't think anyone else could have done aswell as us.
 

·
I aim to Misbehave
Joined
·
6,371 Posts
TheManc said:
You can't say that. There have been many great young talents over the years who haven't developed as expected.

You've got that kid Kerlon, Adu, Fowler ect - all tipped to be world class players and set the wold alight but there development stopped. Even players like Totti haven't developed as expected. He was tipped to be the best thing since slice bread, but now he is 'just' a very, very good player.

How many Brazilians, Argentinian or French 18 year olds do we hear about who have been incredible for there young age, only for them to fail to reach there potential when there 23?

Thats what we have done. If Ronaldo had gone to Milan or Madrid he wouldn't be the same as he is now. He may heave been better, but IMO probably worse. Fergie is better than anyone else in the world at bringing the full potential out of younger players.

Sporting did a great job in helping his progress as a kid, they worked with him and let him increase his skills until he became a kid with great potential, but we turned that potential into reality - something that I don't think anyone else could have done aswell as us.

Well, i sorta do know what I'm saying. There's been lots of talent come out of our academy, and before that from our youth prospecting and younger squads.
We've been a good "breeding" ground since the late 80s, and you can always tell which ones will blossom and which ones won't. If you go back and watch the games from his last season here, it's clear that he's gonna be an extraordinary player if he keeps his focus, and granted, you've given him that. We had a young lad here, named Dany, who could have been better than Figo, maybe almost as good as CR, and he blew it cuz of night life, booze and girls.

The only real plus you had for him at the time was that you'd just sold becks to RM, so he had a real shot at starting eleven, even at his age. However, i dissagree about him not beeing as good would he go somewhere else. Remember, he did last season, age 22/23, what most players do at age 27/28. That's generally regarded as the time players peak, mixing experience with strengh and vigour. He managed that, granted, due to his 5 years of PL experience, but to think that he wouldn't achieve this level at another club, i think, it's a bit deluded.

Of course this is all hypothetical, there could have been tons of variables to alter the outcome to whoo knows what realm, but I've seen this quite a lot, players like futre, figo, quaresma, simao, hugo viana, nani, dany, etc. After a bit, you get the feeling about who's gonna make it and who's not.
And granted, there's clubs more suited to bring out the best in players than others, but look, for example at 3 players that left Sporting for Barcelona, Figo, Simão and Quaresma.

Figo, i think, needs no description. he was clearly the driving force in Barça, and his "betrayal" to RM was a shock, but most Barça fans now admit he was right, and the club didn't extend his contract when they should, and they ultimately lost him.

Simão was lackluster at best, seldom played, and was sold to benfica on God knows what terms, and is now back in Spain, playing nicely, but in a club with no great ambitions. Maybe they can rise back, but i kinda doubt it. He´s in Atletico Madrid, btw.

Quaresma was also poorly used in Barça, even though he did some very nice things, but was ultimately involved in Barça's purchase of Deco from Porto. since then, he's been consistently Porto's top player, and now he joins Mourinho in Inter. Italy isn't England, football there isn't as espectacular, but i can hazard a guess that Quaresma will soon enough be among the world's best as well.

Like you said, expectations and reality are never quite the same, but, from my experience watching our young talents leave for almost 2 decades now, i have a fair opinion regarding their potential.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
It is easy to find fault with a player isnt it?? :p



First of all, im not a ronaldoette, never have been. I admit i notice him not being himself anymore..the expression, the look in his face..the passion..all not as much as he used to give...But...in him i also saw a guy who were trying hard to please the fans and who look very much like pleaing for the fans to sing his name once again, to get behind him and to help him help the team like past season. He to me look more like someone who were serving his punishment more to someone who are trying to help the team. I almost can see that sorry look of his.

Im not siding with him..infact he disappoint me big time with all that happened but the normal Ronaldo wont take this long to get back to fitness. Has it ever come across to us that, we might be the reason to why he react like that at the moment? Thinking negatively is always easier than thinking positive...agree he has himself to blame over the summer..but how confident are we that he didnt regret his doing? Or should he really come out to apologise?


As far as i remember, over the world cup incident, he came back strong and this is what he is quoted to say, that he didnt care what other club fans think of him as long as he have the support of united fans. And with that support too he go on to help us win the league.

True, he has himself to blame...but as for now, he stayed in united and like the rest of the team..shed sweat for the team in the colours of manchester. A high ego guy like him..whom sooo used to fans singing Viva Ronaldo even when he is not on the bench and on the pitch suddenly heard JT name to the tune of what used to be the most popular song on the ground. And here we are asking why he didnt celebrate as much when he scored that goal? For what honestly? Even if he does, will the fans stand and give him a standing ovation or atleast cheer like what they used to do? Will the fans seriously brush the fact that its ronaldo who did the scoring and celebrate like it is Wayne Rooney or Tevez or will the fans just give him a sarcatic clap, rolling eyes and a little smug look saying oh rite, he scored.oh ok lets clap...?


Dont forget he is also a human being like you and me and do have feelings... If we notice the changes in him, what make us think he didnt notice that about the fans? Ask yourself if you can run towards the fans and act like nothing happened when you know you are not yet forgiven by large numbers of fans...Its always easier said than done isnt it? Well, he have to win the fans over , after all he started it...but just how on earth can he do that if we didnt let him? We claim we hate him and dont want to get behind him but we want him to do good and do well..isnt it a bit hypocrite on our part. :eek:

I agree he is not bigger than manchester united....but then again, who is??

He owes us as much as we owe him tbh, yes we paid to watch him but we didnt pay his salary. Im mad at him and still do...but i still think there's a need to get behind him for the benefit of United. Cant deny that he in good form will help us a lot and for his good form, i reserved my hatred towards him untill he leave. The moment he got back the full support is also the moment he will get back his form..and im sure of that.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
It was disappointing to see Ronaldo's lack of celebration after the goal. He is still trying on the pitch but his body language at times gives away his true feelings.

After he scored there were quite a lot of people singing Viva Ronaldo and when I watched the re-run of the game on MUTV you could hear a rendition of That Boy Ronaldo too.

Of course there are some fans who dislike or are angered by his actions over the summer but the reaction of the crowd when he came on against Villareal tells me there are still plenty of people who appreciate what he did for us last season and are willing to give him a chance.

Tbh, I'm not quite sure how I feel about Ronaldo. I'll be interested to see his reaction after scoring in a really big game for us this season. If he still looks sullen then I think there can be no doubt that he will leave in the summer.
 

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
I backed him through the summer but saturday i changed my mind!!
He really annoyed me, selfish....although he took zuiverloon to the cleaners!? at times...
I think when he goes Nani will come into his own and i hope we will be singin nani's name all night long for years to come...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
reddwarf said:
It was disappointing to see Ronaldo's lack of celebration after the goal. He is still trying on the pitch but his body language at times gives away his true feelings.

After he scored there were quite a lot of people singing Viva Ronaldo and when I watched the re-run of the game on MUTV you could hear a rendition of That Boy Ronaldo too.

Of course there are some fans who dislike or are angered by his actions over the summer but the reaction of the crowd when he came on against Villareal tells me there are still plenty of people who appreciate what he did for us last season and are willing to give him a chance.

Tbh, I'm not quite sure how I feel about Ronaldo. I'll be interested to see his reaction after scoring in a really big game for us this season. If he still looks sullen then I think there can be no doubt that he will leave in the summer.


Yes thats true...but if we listen properly..just when a group of fans sings Viva Ronaldo, there are rendition of others ( i heard boos but maybe thats just my thought ) trying to overlap them. And if anyone else notice, against villareal after the fans sings his name, he does much much more better and start to improve his game.

Im not saying this is the only reason to he reacting the way he does thou...but if all else failed and he still behave like that..then he jolly well scram off to wherever he wanted to... atleast he cant say that we fans drove him out after he decided to stay..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Its amazing how everyone gets totally pi##ed off with the lack of goal celebrations , berbatov has done it a few times already this season and doesnt seem as ecstatic as he should do , i am sure sure inside he is over the moon.
I dont think ronaldo is sulking about leaving , he is behaving like a little kid who has been punished for being really naughty , and is trying to make up for it but doesnt quite know how.
I wonder what the reaction would have been on this forum if he had started celebrating wildly from his first game , i bet any money people would have said he is shameless and seems to have forgotton every thing he did in the summer.
The lad pulled out a feeble apology , which he had to and now the only way to make it up with the fans is to score goals and play well , not to wildly celebrate and say f##ck you to the fans but be humble , which he is trying to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
stretty said:
Its amazing how everyone gets totally pi##ed off with the lack of goal celebrations , berbatov has done it a few times already this season and doesnt seem as ecstatic as he should do , i am sure sure inside he is over the moon.
I dont think ronaldo is sulking about leaving , he is behaving like a little kid who has been punished for being really naughty , and is trying to make up for it but doesnt quite know how.
I wonder what the reaction would have been on this forum if he had started celebrating wildly from his first game , i bet any money people would have said he is shameless and seems to have forgotton every thing he did in the summer.
The lad pulled out a feeble apology , which he had to and now the only way to make it up with the fans is to score goals and play well , not to wildly celebrate and say f##ck you to the fans but be humble , which he is trying to do
You're right about Ronaldo. Everything he'll do is wrong. But, he have only himself to blame for this.
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,664 Posts
Berbatov doesn't run around celebrating but at least he nonchalantly raises an arm or smiles. Ronaldo gave no reaction whatsoever. Plus, anyone who has watched Berbatov play expects him to behave like that.

I joined in singing Viva Ronaldo when he scored and I will the next time he scores but he needs to interact with the fans in some way because otherwise he'll lose the few remaining friends/fans he has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
spellbound said:
You're right about Ronaldo. Everything he'll do is wrong. But, he have only himself to blame for this.
He sure has , the blame is firmly on his shoulders .
I think he was young and naive , probably got the wrong advice and they turned his head, it didnt stop me hating him all summer though.
Now things have cooled down and i have lost my anger towards him , i think i was very lucky to have witnessed his best ever season (will never happen again in his career)which resulted in a great double , even if he pi##ses off he has left us with some great memories .
Viva ronaldo
:) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
stretty said:
He sure has , the blame is firmly on his shoulders .
I think he was young and naive , probably got the wrong advice and they turned his head, it didnt stop me hating him all summer though.
Now things have cooled down and i have lost my anger towards him , i think i was very lucky to have witnessed his best ever season (will never happen again in his career)which resulted in a great double , even if he pi##ses off he has left us with some great memories .
Viva ronaldo
:) :)
What he have done on the pitch is in the history books and what he was doing in the summer will never be there. And what he can do on the pitch no one can take that away from him and his previous season will be one of the best seasons any football have done in the history of the game. But between me and Ronaldo is like a love that gone cold. Time to see other people. :D
And no irony but I really admire you who still can defend this guy. But for me he just ruined the summer of celebrations. And also, the Berbatov part of the summer was a ****ty part too and maybe Ronaldo gets all the blame even for that part as well....but as I said...our love gone cold.:)
 
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Top