Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this isn't a reaction to yesterdays defeat, its something I've been thinking for a while, but I've read various foreign sides' forums (namely Barca, Milan and Inters) and they all think our midfield is horribly overated and I'm starting to agree.

We have enourmous depth, that much is obvious but we don't seem to have a 'special' CM.

Carrick is a very good player, however he does tend to get shown up when against top quaality technical opposition.

Scholes is the best passer we have, but physically he's on the decline. He can't compete when teams get physical and deny him space.

Hargreaves has yet to play well in the CM role.

Fletcher is a good player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anderson at the moment is a good player, but he has some serious flaws. His passing is wayward and his off the ball movement is arguably the worst in our squad.

Compare this to other top clubs:

Barcelona have Xavi and Iniesta - 2 of the best player in the world.
Chelsea have Lampard and Essien.
Liverpool have Mascherano and Gerrard (albeit as DM and AM respectively)

All 6 of those players are world class.

This isn't a criticism of our team, as our recent record speaks for itslef, I'm just focusing one the CM position.

So, is the quality (not quantity) of our midfield overated?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Weren't saying this last season were you, when we dominated Liverpool home and away.

Our midfield is fine, we just need to go with 3 in the middle for the big games like we did last season. I think Queiroz had a lot to do with that.

And as much as you say it isn't a knee jerk reaction - there is no way this thread would have surfaced had we won yesterday. Who gives a toss about what other fans think of our midfield. Especially Milan whose midfield is finished and they're struggling to get a CL place.

While Barca have won sod all with Iniesta and Xavi for 3 years.

And Inter, hahaha, have you seen the state of their midfield? Crap.

If our midfield was overrated there is no way we would have 2 league titles on the trot, and likely to be 3 as well as a European Cup.

I seriously wonder what our fans are on sometimes, so ungrateful it makes me sick to the core. Don't let yourself get influenced by rival fans, They are jealous of us and wish they had what we had. We have been the most successful club on the planet for the past 20 years and we're set for further domination now. I'm not saying you're not allowed to constructively criticise whatever you want to do when its due but this just smacks off knee jerk reaction to what OTHER FANS think of our club.

Since when did other peoples opinions matter to us.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Well, only the supporters make something or someone overrated, or underrated. Its not fair to question the ability of our players just because we overrate them at times.
Comparing our midfield to other teams is out of the question, individually they might be better, but as a team this isn't justified as these last 2 years or so speaks for themselfs. I don't think it is overrated, i think we are very lucky to have very good individual midfielders who are not only committed to the their job, but also to the club. Every one of them has been instrumental in the latest successes. They can have an off day just like yesterday, but the majority of the team they're a joy to watch and the jealousy of every other team.

·
Registered
195 Posts
totally agree

First off this isn't a reaction to yesterdays defeat, its something I've been thinking for a while, but I've read various foreign sides' forums (namely Barca, Milan and Inters) and they all think our midfield is horribly overated and I'm starting to agree.

We have enourmous depth, that much is obvious but we don't seem to have a 'special' CM.

Carrick is a very good player, however he does tend to get shown up when against top quaality technical opposition.

Scholes is the best passer we have, but physically he's on the decline. He can't compete when teams get physical and deny him space.

Anderson at the moment is a good player, but he has some serious flaws. His passing is wayward and his off the ball movement is arguably the worst in our squad.

This isn't a criticism of our team, as our recent record speaks for itslef, I'm just focusing one the CM position.

everything you said is right carrick is decent hargreaves is injury prone scholesy is gettin on and anderson is overrated because hes brazilian,i think we really missed out on the best midfield player since keane in not coughing up enuff cash for essien

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
^^^ i dont get why are you so grumpy. he posed a good point, and i also was thinking about that.

our midfield is good enough to win anything we want. but if i divide the team into sections, id say the midfield and im reffering to the center midfielders are the weakest point of the team.
in the summer we really need to think about buying a CM in order for us to keep up with barcelona for eg.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Carrick, Hargreaves and Scholes can all be considered in the world class bracket.

We need Hargreaves starting every game though.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
everything you said is right carrick is decent hargreaves is injury prone scholesy is gettin on and anderson is overrated because hes brazilian,i think we really missed out on the best midfield player since keane in not coughing up enuff cash for essien
Ando is overrated because he`s Brazilian? :confused: I don't think that's the case, nationality isn't an issue. Ferguson knows well the ability Ando holds, if you fans overrate him then that's your prob if the player doesn't meet your expectancies .. The fact is that he makes part of our team, that means he is worth something eh :rolleyes:

The same goes for the other midfielders too ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
^^^ i dont get why are you so grumpy. he posed a good point, and i also was thinking about that.

our midfield is good enough to win anything we want. but if i divide the team into sections, id say the midfield and im reffering to the center midfielders are the weakest point of the team.
in the summer we really need to think about buying a CM in order for us to keep up with barcelona for eg.
Yes, we need to keep up with a team that has won nothing for 3 years.

Jesus , sometimes I really despair.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its Not over-rated but yes we could do with one more quality midfielder maybe for long term absentees like Hargreaves, but hopefully he can have an inury free campaign next season as we have really missed him at times this season.

Yeah scholes has been on and off this season but on a good day he is still quality lets not forget Giggs has been excellent in the central role this season, Anderson needs more experience but he does get the attacks going and with Carrick I think he is just hitting his peak and will be even better next season and I believe he is World Class too but he is just in the shadows of Lamps and Gerrad.

We also outplayed Chelsea this season even if they were without Essien they still had plenty of quality on the pitch and we started giggsy and fletch. Yes Barca are looking hot and have great midfielders but I think we can match them man for man anyday, also I think they've not really been tested this season so cant wait for next weeks UCL draw.

I think next season we might have to dip into the transfer market and get a midfielder with Scholes and Giggs getting older the manager should push Gibson and Possebon to the first team and get them some PL experience. Im not suggesting we go for him but do you think Gareth Barry could fit into our team, his contract is expiring soon and he wants CL football and I think Arsenal have Aston Villa. He is a good player and links up well with Carrick when they play for England.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think that's what makes our midfield great. When you have too many world class midfielders you have problems inherent.

I.e. Galacticos. The great thing about our midfield is Fletcher, Anderson, Park etc are all willing to sit on the bench.

There are aware of exactly what level they're at & no big egos get in the way.

If we had say Essien, Kaka, Ribery etc. Could you see any of them reacting well to be put on the bench?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

Good post and topic. Got a couple thoughts about it as well. Not to be too wishy-washy about it, but I always considered the main strength of our midfield was the depth we have (Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Hargreaves, Anderson, Fletcher).

On your list, you forgot Giggs though, and his revelation adds to both points. Think it shows how strong we are, but maybe it also shows that while most of our mids are solid choices, they don't usually have standout performances like Giggs did against Chelsea and Inter?

Carrick's form earlier in the season was fantastic as well though, so hopefully he can recapture that.

Also, I think part of the problem is the amount of injuries we have had to the players as well. The last two years, we were lucky in that Scholes and Carrick were pretty much healthy and ready to go week in and week out. They got to learn how to play with each other, and knowing who and where your partner in the middle can make all the difference in the world. Look at Lampard and Gerrard who can't ever get anything right it seems for England. Because of all the injuries, we haven't been able to get consistent pairings in the midfield where they know how to play off each other as well.

Another thing to think about is that, our defense has been so amazing lately (yes, I am forgetting the game which we will not speak of that happened yesterday), and the love we all have for Rooney and Berbatov, it is only natural that we criticize the middle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
We always knew keane and scholes would take some replacing fergie has had enough time to find suitable replacements, and to be fair we need one world class player to compliment carrick .
Yesterdays result was a "one off" shit happens now and again , most of the season fergie has picked the right team and they have performed , sadly when it mattered most the players never turned up just like at anfield.
I think we have rode our luck with the dippers over the last few years and mugged them at anfailed a few teams , so a bit of justice was done yesterday.
This does not make our midfield useless , they are by and large good enough to do the job , i think one world class player is required

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think we lost at anfield because Carrick got injured before the break with that challenge with gabi alonso and after that the midfield was just outplayed.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Carrick, Hargreaves and Scholes can all be considered in the world class bracket.

We need Hargreaves starting every game though.
With you

Anderson can become one of the best in the business... 2nd season syndrome from him this year, i fancy him to be a dominant force in midfield in the coming years in europe along with fabregas, s ireland... no1 else is really sticking out from a central position at that age bracket for me...

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I agree with TM
I've said this before, people think we need another winger, but i honestly think we lack a so "world class CM".
We need someone to runs things in the middle, Giggs did it against Chelsea. But we need a consistent player putting in those proformences.
Carrick isn't consistent enough and is not world class IMO.
Scholes and Giggs can't play every game.
Ando hasn't been at the races this season but i exspect him to be a world beaterin a few years.
Fletcher is Fletcher....... if that makes sense.
And who's Own Hargreaves.

So we have 6 quality players, but no world beaters. I just hope we don't get found out by Barca in the CM psoition if we meet them, i feel they could kill us here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
With you

Anderson can become one of the best in the business... 2nd season syndrome from him this year, i fancy him to be a dominant force in midfield in the coming years in europe along with fabregas, s ireland... no1 else is really sticking out from a central position at that age bracket for me...
ye he did so good in his first season NOT mate he cant shoot half his passes area mile off,he is with united 2 years at the end of the season and he still hasnt even scored a goal that tells ya how good he is:red:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ando is overrated because he`s Brazilian? :confused: I don't think that's the case, nationality isn't an issue. Ferguson knows well the ability Ando holds, if you fans overrate him then that's your prob if the player doesn't meet your expectancies .. The fact is that he makes part of our team, that means he is worth something eh :rolleyes:

The same goes for the other midfielders too ;)
put it this way would any cm player get into a fully fit chelski team none,and if they were taking a pick anderson would be the last resort hes brutal cant pass cant shoot cant score what does he do ooh ye he gives the ball away

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I dont think its overrated as such, but the fact we dont have a regular starting 2 could be a bit of a problem. If you look at RFR's midfield partnership threads you will see how often there are different pairings in the middle. Maybe they dont have a chance to build up a great understanding together.

Hargreaves missing is also a but of a problem. He has a serious engine with lots of bite and he has been missed. But with players like Giggs, Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves you cant really say our midfield is horribly overrated. Too many options would be my main concern if thats even a legitimate concern.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Hargeaves was a huge loss for the team this season.

We have a good midfield. It was awful yesterday but for most of the season it's been very good. When we start playing poorly in that area consistently I'll be worried.

I actually thought Anderson was playing very well since coming back from injury but yesterday he was shocking.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts