Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three days after arriving back from Japan we had a difficult fixture against a dogged Stoke side . We managed to snatch 3 points with a late strike but rarely looked at the races in the game .

Giggs and Neville are clearly nearing the end of there career's and look a yard short of pace . But that said it was gary neville's cross that lead to the goal .

The main problem in my eye's today was the left back spot where John o'shea was terrible and looked like bambi on ice from time to time .

I would like to see a more attacking midfielder whether its a winger or central player Id like someone who can come on a threaten .

Another thing which is puzzling me at the moment is Danny wellbecks lack of apperences which I thought we would of seen alot more of to be honest .

Whats your view on our squad and where it could be boosted ?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Despite the fact that Giggsy have to cover the left back spot, i dont think we need to go out and buy. Im more excited if Fabio can be given the chance. From what i saw in the reserve match he played in, he isnt that far off from his twin brother Rafael.

Yes, i stand on what i always thought that we have a very strong team. The same strong team as like last season and by the book should be getting stronger now that we've add a classy player in Berbatov and the rises of Rafael and Evans.

What we lack of is not anyone on the team but more to the hunger and the will to win. At times, we didnt really look like we would want to run after the ball, that doesnt only happen to berbatov but a few of the lads as well. The desperation like we have last season is yet to be seen. Frankly even if our old guard retires, i still think we still have that strong squad. With Sir alex still trying to figure out which is the best combination between Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, i can understand why Welbeck didnt really have that many chance. I cant help but think we do miss Hargreaves thou. As much as we have carrick, scholes and even fletcher, Hargreaves i feel is the missing jigsaw that we are having rite now.

I think once we sort out our Roovetov goals problem upfront, im sure we will start to see how strong the team is, hopefully that will be soon thou seeing we are entering the vital period now.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
It's not based on today's game, but in general I think our squad is at a precarious stage during a transitional period.

The older players and the youngsters are probably a shade off the mark where Sir Alex would like them to be, so things aren't as comfortable as they should be.

Having said that, I think we have the second strongest squad in the league behind Chelsea. A weak spot would be left back. With Evra suspended we don't have recognized cover for O'Shea and one could only hope for Fabio is as good as his brother. (when the twin first came to OT, Fabio was the more lauded of the two.

Also think we need a midfield general and somebody who can put in a freaking decent cross or whip in a decent corner.

·
Registered
601 Posts
babysenorita said:
Despite the fact that Giggsy have to cover the left back spot, i dont think we need to go out and buy. Im more excited if Fabio can be given the chance. From what i saw in the reserve match he played in, he isnt that far off from his twin brother Rafael.

Yes, i stand on what i always thought that we have a very strong team. The same strong team as like last season and by the book should be getting stronger now that we've add a classy player in Berbatov and the rises of Rafael and Evans.

What we lack of is not anyone on the team but more to the hunger and the will to win. At times, we didnt really look like we would want to run after the ball, that doesnt only happen to berbatov but a few of the lads as well. The desperation like we have last season is yet to be seen. Frankly even if our old guard retires, i still think we still have that strong squad. With Sir alex still trying to figure out which is the best combination between Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, i can understand why Welbeck didnt really have that many chance. I cant help but think we do miss Hargreaves thou. As much as we have carrick, scholes and even fletcher, Hargreaves i feel is the missing jigsaw that we are having rite now.

I think once we sort out our Roovetov goals problem upfront, im sure we will start to see how strong the team is, hopefully that will be soon thou seeing we are entering the vital period now.
Exactly

At times, we didnt really look like we would want to run after the ball, that doesnt only happen to berbatov but a few of the lads as well. The desperation like we have last season is yet to be seen
This is a new generation of tactics where the opponents give you a hard time, and the only way to get past that is show the other team ur not going to be influenced by it, it nearly worked for thm because of ronny and rooney, and thses are the players stoke attacked. But luckily they got a way with it. If ronney and ronny should the same desire of getting on with it like tevez did then, we would see the united of last season.

I dont think its a left winger or a central midfielder who can get goals we nee, just someone who can drive the team when we have matches like this.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
What we need is some urgency.

We've already blew the chance to close the gap after our rivals dropped points twice this season (Aston Villa and Tottenham) and nearly done it today because of it.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I think that we need a left winger. I don't say that giggs, park and nani are not quality, but giggs is near career end, park in my opinion is a great fighter and a good squad player and we are not impressed by nani so far this season. I think that player like ashley young or ribery would give us a great boost

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
martinutd said:
I think that we need a left winger. I don't say that giggs, park and nani are not quality, but giggs is near career end, park in my opinion is a great fighter and a good squad player and we are not impressed by nani so far this season. I think that player like ashley young or ribery would give us a great boost
To be honest I dont think Fergie rates Nani he hasnt player half of what he did last season .

I think he may be sick of his up and down displays . People may disagree but I dont believe Nani has a future at United .

·
Registered
601 Posts
babysenorita said:
Playmaker you meant? :p
we have enough playmakers in the team, just need someone to drive us in midfiled, like when we saw vidic having a go at his defenders. We need a player who can say to rooneyor ronny come on play like this, battle like hell and still have the energy to get the ball forward and play. Basically another keane, but these players are very difficult to find.

Just an all round driving force that lets the other team know if u kick us well kick u back.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
trikam patel said:
we have enough playmakers in the team, just need someone to drive us in midfiled, like when we saw vidic having a go at his defenders. We need a player who can say to rooneyor ronny come on play like this, battle like hell and still have the energy to get the ball forward and play. Basically another keane, but these players are very difficult to find.

Just an all round driving force that lets the other team know if u kick us well kick u back.
This is why I regret the fact that we didn't put up more of a fight when signing Essien...

·
Registered
601 Posts
red dave said:
To be honest I dont think Fergie rates Nani he hasnt player half of what he did last season .

I think he may be sick of his up and down displays . People may disagree but I dont believe Nani has a future at United .
i am still half half, he is still young and has a lot to learn, but the thing nani doesnt learn is to find the right pass, when he is threatening he will go for glory and when he needs to play a simple pass to let the game flow he will loose the ball. But when you see the performance he gae agist liverpool last season u can see there is somehing there, but then again wen he has a bad game he does nothing for the minutes he is on the pitch. I would personally replace hime or buy ashley young.

Ashley young is doing it against the big clubs.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
We have one of the best squads in europe easily.

Giggs/scholes and neville may be at the other end of their career but it is nice to have them in the squad. We also have some decent young players coming through and the actual strong team we play is amazing.

All we miss is some drive through the middle (the anderson factor) and anderson should be playing more. Fletcher is useful but predictable and will never be creative as we saw today how they kept reading all of his passes.

Fergie did the right thing today imo in resting alot of players and giving them more time to recover as we still have the three points and fergie will play stronger teams in the future i hope.

We can improve ofcourse, signing david silva of valencia would be nice but its not going to happen right now most likely but i have no major concerns.

We are good enough to win the title and champions league. Whether we are perfectly drilled and tactically clever enough or not and pick the right teams i dont know but for the moment, i believe we have a very good team.

No major worries for me apart from i think anderson should be played more and nani at times.

Pz!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
United_OG said:
We have one of the best squads in europe easily.

Giggs/scholes and neville may be at the other end of their career but it is nice to have them in the squad. We also have some decent young players coming through and the actual strong team we play is amazing.

All we miss is some drive through the middle (the anderson factor) and anderson should be playing more. Fletcher is useful but predictable and will never be creative as we saw today how they kept reading all of his passes.

Fergie did the right thing today imo in resting alot of players and giving them more time to recover as we still have the three points and fergie will play stronger teams in the future i hope.

We can improve ofcourse, signing david silva of valencia would be nice but its not going to happen right now most likely but i have no major concerns.

We are good enough to win the title and champions league. Whether we are perfectly drilled and tactically clever enough or not and pick the right teams i dont know but for the moment, i believe we have a very good team.

No major worries for me apart from i think anderson should be played more and nani at times.

Pz!

Great post your a good poster on here and you have a good opinion .

Agree with the Anderson view why rest your best attacking midfielder . After all Ronaldo and Rooney dont get rested so why Anderson he has been amazing for the last 2 months .

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think that there is a general lack of pace up front ,i mean like andy cole or micheal owen players who turn and race clear of the defence , we simply ain't got one.
and there ain't enough drive or invention coming from midfield , i always see utd making better moves and attacks when rooney drops deep and starts passing the ball around. i don't think the squad will improve much most of the midfield and strikeforce play a similar style ,and our opponents are beginning to nullify our play.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sweet fa said:
i think that there is a general lack of pace up front ,i mean like andy cole or micheal owen players who turn and race clear of the defence , we simply ain't got one.
and there ain't enough drive or invention coming from midfield , i always see utd making better moves and attacks when rooney drops deep and starts passing the ball around. i don't think the squad will improve much most of the midfield and strikeforce play a similar style ,and our opponents are beginning to nullify our play.

Good post but its not a lack of pace mate .

Its a lack of the player who gets in behinf defenders none of our strikers are out and out strikers so the pace we lack is simply a problem with our strikers roles.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
red dave said:
Good post but its not a lack of pace mate .

Its a lack of the player who gets in behinf defenders none of our strikers are out and out strikers so the pace we lack is simply a problem with our strikers roles.

yes i see your point its similar to what i think ,but although 2 of our strikers will run all game NONE of them are fast off the mark . players who can pull away in 5/10 yards ,these players always do damage ,of course utd do have one such player in ronaldo but when he is well marshalled or simlpy plays poorly utds whole rythmn is changed , and we don't look anything like champions when this happens.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i think our finishing hasnt been that great
we created a lot of opportunities and havent taken advantage of them

berbatov is classy but hasnt shown that hez worth 30m.......and i still dont understand if thats the kind of player we need

rooney,tevez and berba are second strikers!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Revanth said:
i think our finishing hasnt been that great
we created a lot of opportunities and havent taken advantage of them

berbatov is classy but hasnt shown that hez worth 30m.......and i still dont understand if thats the kind of player we need

rooney,tevez and berba are second strikers!
You see, despite what some people say about how we have 3 great forwards, we are still missing a striker imo. Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney all offer the same thing, which is a reason why I didn't want Berbatov.

We still need either a quick, pacey striker, as sweet fa says (like an Eto'o) or a big, strong finisher who can hold up the ball (like a Ruud.) I think we should be giving Manucho more chances, as who knows, he could be one of these type of strikers and offer us something different. And while he's here, he deserves the chance and he could end up saving us money.

But, he might not be good enough. But we won't know until we give him the chance, and its certainly worth the risk. If we aren't going to give Manucho the chance though, we should look into the market.

·
Registered
605 Posts
manutd004 said:
You see, despite what some people say about how we have 3 great forwards, we are still missing a striker imo. Berbatov, Tevez and Rooney all offer the same thing, which is a reason why I didn't want Berbatov.

We still need either a quick, pacey striker, as sweet fa says (like an Eto'o) or a big, strong finisher who can hold up the ball (like a Ruud.) I think we should be giving Manucho more chances, as who knows, he could be one of these type of strikers and offer us something different. And while he's here, he deserves the chance and he could end up saving us money.

But, he might not be good enough. But we won't know until we give him the chance, and its certainly worth the risk. If we aren't going to give Manucho the chance though, we should look into the market.
this is really a problem
i actually wanted huntelaar rather than berbatov.....he plays in a league thats not as difficult as the premier league but still,i thought that its the kind of player we need and he is now with madrid

and benzema is being linked to united....i hope this happens
but that makes the future of tevez doubtful here........

i wanted fergie to buy benzema and not tevez but fergie said that talks are on with tevez

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Revanth said:
this is really a problem
i actually wanted huntelaar rather than berbatov.....he plays in a league thats not as difficult as the premier league but still,i thought that its the kind of player we need and he is now with madrid

and benzema is being linked to united....i hope this happens
but that makes the future of tevez doubtful here........

i wanted fergie to buy benzema and not tevez but fergie said that talks are on with tevez
We could have signed a striker instead of Berbatov and we wouldn't be having this problem now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts