Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look throughout Europe most of the big teams have one. Someone who will coming in, put in a crucnhing tackle and generally try and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. The Essien's, Mascherano's, Senna's. You know the type of player I mean.

I know we have Hargreaves(I know, I can't go five minutes without talking about him;)) but our midfield without him this year has looked light and weak. We need some power, someone good in the tackle. we were crying out for one last night when our midfield was having a nightmare. Even an Alan Smith type player would have been useful to an extent last night. Tackles like, this is our home, if you're coming here you're in for a fight.

That's why Liverpool are so strong this season, their midfield is excellent and all able to put in a strong tackle. With Xabi Alonso, Mascherano and even Stevie G, they hit the opposition hard in the tackle. They lay down the law and our midfield this season has been incapable of doing it. Thank god for the brillant form of our defence in the early season our we might not be even in the title race.

I know the Carrick fan boys out there are like it's not Carraick's game. Well I say **** it, we paid so much for you, if all you can do as a central midfielder is pick a pass we've wasted a ton of cash on you. He was cowardly last night. We needed a player to control the game last night and he wasn't up to the task.

Scholes was never a tackler but he had Keane alongside him for so long he didn't need to be. Now he's less attacking and doesn't have the same legs, he's not what we need alongside Carrick. The two of them just don't work if you ask me. There needs to be an Essien type figure in the cenre of the park.

Fletcher has all my respect in the world. But at the biggest stage of them all by the best players he won't be able to do it ever week. atm, he's our best option and that's saying something.

The steps backwards Anderson has taken have been drastic. He'll put himself about but we do need more than that.

So, I do think we need to get someone in the engine room in the summer. Hargreaves will be one person but we need someone else. Someone who can dominate in there and not hold back. We need more.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Yes!

Carrick is an exquisite passer of the ball, but cannot bring the ball forwar, let alone at pace.
He also hardly ever tackles - opting to use his positioning to close out channels.

He is a very good midfielder, BUT we need someone who can boss the centre of the park, drive the ball forward, break up attacks and leaves some bruises to give opponents something to think about.

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes!

Carrick is an exquisite passer of the ball, but cannot bring the ball forwar, let alone at pace.
He also hardly ever tackles - opting to use his positioning to close out channels.

He is a very good midfielder, BUT we need someone who can boss the centre of the park, drive the ball forward, break up attacks and leaves some bruises to give opponents something to think about.
I'm unsure about Carrick. I don't know if he's what the front men we have need. He rarely gets assists in comparisions to players to play in his position. He's a great passer but it just seems to be to the wings. I don't know if he's what our team needs.

It's so easy to bypass his defensive play. a quick one-two and he's taken out of it completely.:frown:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Agreed Peter. It's definitely something we are missing. It's only come to light in the last couple of months when the run of clean sheets ended. Team's lost their 'fear' andd instead of playing a defensive game and started to go at us.

We do need someone to play a deeper midfield role to break opposing attacks and set the ball rolling for the counter. Also, someone to get back and help the defence when we were under pressure. It's something that was highlighted last night after the second goal. Neville was forced to make a decision to come into the center after Vida was drawn out. If we had a CM back assisting maybe the Porto equaliser may not have happended. All well and good in hindsight I know:rolleyes: I'm just using an example that everyone has fresh in the mind.

Every team needs the 'enforcer' in midfield, someone who make help out with the dirty work, win the battles in the midfield trenches. Question is, who can do it?

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed Peter. It's definitely something we are missing. It's only come to light in the last couple of months when the run of clean sheets ended. Team's lost their 'fear' andd instead of playing a defensive game and started to go at us.

We do need someone to play a deeper midfield role to break opposing attacks and set the ball rolling for the counter. Also, someone to get back and help the defence when we were under pressure. It's something that was highlighted last night after the second goal. Neville was forced to make a decision to come into the center after Vida was drawn out. If we had a CM back assisting maybe the Porto equaliser may not have happended. All well and good in hindsight I know:rolleyes: I'm just using an example that everyone has fresh in the mind.

Every team needs the 'enforcer' in midfield, someone who make help out with the dirty work, win the battles in the midfield trenches. Question is, who can do it?
Names Dave mate.:)

For sure, I agree with you mate. I thought the mdifielders should have been quicker to react and cover but like you said it's all well and good in hindsight.

What's your guys opinion on say Jean Makoun from Lyon. He looks a real tidy player to me. Double deal for him and Benzema would make yours truly a very happy boy.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Names Dave mate.:)

For sure, I agree with you mate. I thought the mdifielders should have been quicker to react and cover but like you said it's all well and good in hindsight.

What's your guys opinion on say Jean Makoun from Lyon. He looks a real tidy player to me. Double deal for him and Benzema would make yours truly a very happy boy.
Cool:thumbsup:

Makoun is a beast. No one should be fooled by his 5'8 height. He's a tenacious lad, a fighter and scores goals. Problem is Lyon only signed him last year. I'd imagine they rate him almost as high as Essien and would demand something similar to the £30m Chelsea payed.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm unsure about Carrick. I don't know if he's what the front men we have need. He rarely gets assists in comparisions to players to play in his position. He's a great passer but it just seems to be to the wings. I don't know if he's what our team needs.

It's so easy to bypass his defensive play. a quick one-two and he's taken out of it completely.:frown:
You're right.

His defensive play is decent at best, but I am an avid fan of his passing. To be honest he is now a better passer of the ball than Scholesy and even if he doesn't get the assists a lot of attacking moves that end up with a goal are very ooften started by a Carrick pass.

Just wished he could get forward more and score more goals.

In some of the older threads i used to just say "he needs to grow some cojones"....a year+ later, I'm still saying the same thing.

He COULD boss a match, IF he finally decides to impose himself, but I'm not sure he has the attitude to ever make that happen.

I owuld love to see a midfield pairing of a player who is a carbon copy of a young Paul Scholes and a fit Owen Hargreaves.

Next season will give us more insight about Anderson, but I can't see his passing improving dramatically.

All in all we have a good midfield that might not be as skillful as some other teams, but do have the desire.

The problem is sometimes that extra special talent and it usually comes from Ronaldo, Berbatov or Rooney - not very often from the central midfield and I'd love to have that kind of midfielder in our ranks.

Keane would be a good example. Did everything and when the chis were down could pop up with a goal.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the lack of any steel in this utd midfield is hampering us badly ,and without it this team will not get anywhere near its peak . going back a few months ago quite a few on here thought this utd team were the greatest ever and i thought that was hilarious because the teams from 94 and 99 would have destroyed them simply by the midfield force. utd need to find a few heavyweights this summer to stay on top they need a hard man in midfield and one up front for the team to really hit its peak .

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another quick point.

How would you guys feel about bring Rooney back to midfield for Porto away? Then we can get him Tevez, Berba and Ronaldo all in the one team. Rooneys passing is sublime and he's a fantastic tackler. We really need someone back there for this game. I know how good he is up front but maybe this is just a plan for this match.

Opinions lads/lassies?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Another quick point.

How would you guys feel about bring Rooney back to midfield for Porto away? Then we can get him Tevez, Berba and Ronaldo all in the one team. Rooneys passing is sublime and he's a fantastic tackler. We really need someone back there for this game. I know how good he is up front but maybe this is just a plan for this match.

Opinions lads/lassies?
i have been saying that for ages ,he has got world class midfielder written all over him in my eyes and not many would stop his bull like charges into the box when running from deep. you can stop rooney by stopping his service and that brings out his nasty streak and he normally does something stupid and gets punished by the ref , in midfield he would flourish he would get loads more possession and he has got the brains to use it to utds advantage .and now is the time to play him there not when his legs have gone or his burning desire has cooled.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Although i'm a fan of Hargreaves he's too injury-prone and we need that sort of player fit and available all the time to command the midfield area. I find it both hilarious and frustrating that our best tacklers are actually our forwards; both Tevez and Rooney are constantly chasing the ball round the field and putting in crunching tackles and yes they may not always win the ball cleanly but it's the sheer commitment and determination that impresses me. We need a midfielder or two that can put themselves about just as well or we'll continue to see an inconsistent Man Utd... just look at Arsenal, they have a silky smooth style of play but sometimes they get out-muscled and can't play their own game.

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have been saying that for ages ,he has got world class midfielder written all over him in my eyes and not many would stop his bull like charges into the box when running from deep. you can stop rooney by stopping his service and that brings out his nasty streak and he normally does something stupid and gets punished by the ref , in midfield he would flourish he would get loads more possession and he has got the brains to use it to utds advantage .and now is the time to play him there not when his legs have gone or his burning desire has cooled.
It would be a shame to have him so far from goal though. He's such a fantastic striker. I for one would be happy to experiment, why not try against Sunderland at the weekend and allow Fletcher to play right back? Would solve that issue.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Am agreeing with everyone here we need hargo back he's such a presense in the centre of the park

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It would be a shame to have him so far from goal though. He's such a fantastic striker. I for one would be happy to experiment, why not try against Sunderland at the weekend and allow Fletcher to play right back? Would solve that issue.
i understand your point but is rooney more dangerous up front where this midfield don't give him great service and he regulary drops into midfield with his back to goal looking for the ball , or in midfield useing his great creative skills driving forwards towards goal ?
i think rooney will always score 15 - 20 per season wherever he plays and thats average for a striker but great from midfield and another star striker can do the business up front , remember scholes was a striker but midfield is where he flourished.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
In the Summer Liverpool were linked with him and I said why he's overrated. But on Sunday, Gareth Barry showed us all what he is about. Strong in the tackle, quality passer, good goalscorer and a leader. Tbh, I really think he should be considered as a potential signing for us.Anything between £12-15 million would be a good bargain I think.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
In the Summer Liverpool were linked with him and I said why he's overrated. But on Sunday, Gareth Barry showed us all what he is about. Strong in the tackle, quality passer, good goalscorer and a leader. Tbh, I really think he should be considered as a potential signing for us.Anything between £12-15 million would be a good bargain I think.
Yeah I have considered him before, he is certainly solid. Not sure if he can really boss a midfield like we need though but he is certainly good.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Another quick point.

Opinions lads/lassies?
A good idea. He certainly has the presence and power to play there, my main beef might be his temper...
There's a lot more "combat" in midfield, and he'll risk bookings and maybe more...
But definetely, United need to win the midfield come the 2nd leg.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
A good idea. He certainly has the presence and power to play there, my main beef might be his temper...
There's a lot more "combat" in midfield, and he'll risk bookings and maybe more...
But definetely, United need to win the midfield come the 2nd leg.
How impressed were you with Porto last night?

And how is there record at home?

I'm not very clued up about Portugeeze football, so who do you hate more, Porto or Benfica?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
How impressed were you with Porto last night?

And how is there record at home?

I'm not very clued up about Portugeeze football, so who do you hate more, Porto or Benfica?
Well, I don't hate them. I've decided long ago that I'm not gonna let myself be dragged into hatred anymore, because it's counter productive. historically, benfica are our rivals, and porto an outsider, so to speak, but their recent years have put them on a different level.

Jesualdo Ferreira isn't a good coach. He's been outsmarted by our coach pretty much every time we've played, and since our coach isn't such a bright man himself, that's saying a lot.

The atmosphere is gonna be sickenning, and the players draw a lot from that, BUT the fans are VERY demanding, and when United take control of the game, and porto are dominated, they're gonna boo a LOT. Silence is not what they do.

Porto are a though team to play, home or away, they have a lot of experience, so it's gonna be a hard match.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts