Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often said that commentators (particularly Sky) seem to be unbalanced in their "enthusiasm" for United goals (especially directly compared to goals AGAINST us) And I think a lot more people are beginning to see it, not least from Martin Tyler's disgraceful antics when City scored yesterday. I am considering raising a complaint to Sky (for all the good it would do) but I would like to gauge the mood. Some people (not naming names) think I'm paranoid. But as I said, I think a lot more of you are seeing it, and are as sick of it as I am.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go for it - i'll back you :)
Thanks mate.

How about:

Dear Sir,

I and the undersigned Manchester United fans would like to formally complain about the bias shown against our club in recent games by several of your commentators. Most notably I would cite the celebration of Manchester City's goals by Martin Tyler in the recent Derby match. It is clear to me that a lot of your commentary team appear (at least that's the impression) to be a lot more enthusiastic about goals against United, compared to goals for the club.

May I remind you, it is an intrinsic duty of a football (or other sports) commentator or pundit to show equal regard to all competitors and to not show bias to one side or another (I do accept there are exceptions such as internationals) I feel this has not been the case with Mr Tyler and Mr Rob Hawthorne.

Also I was extremely displeased with the selection of Alan Smith as co-commentator for the Arsenal V Man Utd match both this and last season - and the continued selection of Niall Quinn (who has very strong City connections) for Man Utd's European matches.

I do recognise that your organisation has tried to ensure impartiality (I applaud the Quinn/Neville idea for the derby) but I feel obliged on behalf of fellow supporters to air the above grievances.

Thank you.

ABC

·
M U F C
5,964 Posts
Thanks mate.

How about:

Dear Sir,

I and the undersigned Manchester United fans would like to formally complain about the bias shown against our club in recent games by several of your commentators. Most notably I would cite the celebration of Manchester City's goals by Martin Tyler in the recent Derby match. It is clear to me that a lot of your commentary team appear (at least that's the impression) to be a lot more enthusiastic about goals against United, compared to goals for the club.

May I remind you, it is an intrinsic duty of a football (or other sports) commentator or pundit to show equal regard to all competitors and to not show bias to one side or another (I do accept there are exceptions such as internationals) I feel this has not been the case with Mr Tyler and Mr Rob Hawthorne.

Also I was extremely displeased with the selection of Alan Smith as co-commentator for the Arsenal V Man Utd match both this and last season - and the continued selection of Niall Quinn (who has very strong City connections) for Man Utd's European matches.

I do recognise that your organisation has tried to ensure impartiality (I applaud the Quinn/Neville idea for the derby) but I feel obliged on behalf of fellow supporters to air the above grievances.

Thank you.

ABC
sounds good to me (y)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I've often said that commentators (particularly Sky) seem to be unbalanced in their "enthusiasm" for United goals (especially directly compared to goals AGAINST us) And I think a lot more people are beginning to see it, not least from Martin Tyler's disgraceful antics when City scored yesterday. I am considering raising a complaint to Sky (for all the good it would do) but I would like to gauge the mood. Some people (not naming names) think I'm paranoid. But as I said, I think a lot more of you are seeing it, and are as sick of it as I am.
Tyler yelled ' YES! At the top of his voice when city equalised, his reaction to our goals was entirely different so I think you have a case Mickey.

·
First team regular
8,204 Posts
Go for it Mikey, send that to Sky. Is there a video of Martin Tyler saying YES to City's goal? I tried looking on YouTube recently, couldn't find it.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go for it Mikey, send that to Sky. Is there a video of Martin Tyler saying YES to City's goal? I tried looking on YouTube recently, couldn't find it.
I wish there was, preferably one with all the goals to illustrate the difference in his reaction.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could include Jamie Redknapp in that as well , he spoke more about how City lost the game rather than how United won it and being the team to end City's unbeaten home run .
I just put that down to Redknapp being a prat generally. What he knows about football you could write on this full stop .

·
First team regular
8,204 Posts
Yeah, I would like to hear his reaction. Remember Tyler's reaction to Steve Bruce's goal against Sheffield Wednesday, he shouted YES I believe. Looks like back then maybe he liked United more, but now he's fapping over City.

·
This is how it feels to be City....
15,156 Posts
Unless there's a feature to Sky customers to replay the match, you can't use evidence obtained ''illegally''

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I would like to hear his reaction. Remember Tyler's reaction to Steve Bruce's goal against Sheffield Wednesday, he shouted YES I believe. Looks like back then maybe he liked United more, but now he's fapping over City.
I understand in context that some goals are more exciting than others (as much as I hate Agueeeerrrrrroooooooo - it was the goal that stole the title) it's the fact that in the same game, his reactions to and against United differ wildly. And yes I have noticed a deterioration in his enthusiasm for United goals over the years - maybe he is bored of us?

Nevertheless - his duty is to be an observer. Not a fan.

·
Veritas vos liberabit
10,006 Posts
His duty? :LOL: No it's his job and he has bosses and if they tell him to cheer City then he doesn't have much choice in the matter. See Gary Neville's orgasm when Torres scores. The whole thing wreaks of small time paranoia and don't think it'll achieve anything. If this was any of our rivals I'd be pissing my pants.

·
http://www.viewsbank.com/referral/777a35d7
1,447 Posts
Niall bloody Quinn always seems to be involved with our matches, the most self congratulating idiot alive, he really hates man utd with a passion, every nice thing he says about us is through gritted teeth and he loves when we play poorly just so he can give us his smug expressions on what we are doing wrong.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
His duty? :LOL: No it's his job and he has bosses and if they tell him to cheer City then he doesn't have much choice in the matter. See Gary Neville's orgasm when Torres scores. The whole thing wreaks of small time paranoia and don't think it'll achieve anything. If this was any of our rivals I'd be pissing my pants.
I'm just bloody sick of it - every f*cking game.

·
Veritas vos liberabit
10,006 Posts
I'm just bloody sick of it - every f*cking game.
Then turn off the volume or go to the match? Personally I prefer watching our games without the commentary & draw my own conclusions instead of been spoon fed horse shit like "the twelfth man is a figure of speech"

1 - 20 of 67 Posts