Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Then turn off the volume or go to the match? Personally I prefer watching our games without the commentary & draw my own conclusions instead of been spoon fed horse shit like "the twelfth man is a figure of speech"
You have a point.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Personally i feel it's not a case of bias it's a case of people hearing what they don't want to hear over hearing what they want to hear.

I don't think Sky, BBC or ITV have any particular bias give or take the occasional pundit who's often an ex legend of said club, including United legends.

If there is any bias i tend to ignore it anyway it's petty and it's only football at the end of the day. I've read other teams forums and a lot them, like us fans do, believe there is a media bias against them but sure it can't be every team, right?

As i said i think it's hearing, reading and seeing what you don't wanna see and being outraged and not hearing, reading and seeing he positive things because you expect them and are used to them etc..

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
I've seen some pretty special threads on here in the past but this one tops the lot. A petition FFS, a petition to argue against a service you willingly choose to pay and listen to knowing what you're going to get.

This is small club mentality, the type that cry to the BBC editors that their bore draw isn't first up on MOTD, paranoia of the highest order.

Mikey I'm sure you are a nice bloke in the real world but reading this I think you've completely lost it.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I noticed Tyler' reactions yesterday too, but he's done the same for us in the past. Remember the Bruce header against Wednesday? He's still the best commentator by far IMO, Quinn is terrible though.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
No Mickey hasn't lost it, it's a fact that some commentators have a bias against United, maybe because we have been the dominant club, maybe they felt the sharp edge of Fergie's tongue or maybe they support other clubs, fans with mikes and all that.I can see how some may feel it's small time to complain about it but why not? Why should we put up with it? Tyler is a Gooner I remember well the tragic tone in his voice when Valencia scored against his beloved Goons at the Emirates last year.I really feel that this kind of thing is the thin end of the wedge, complain away Mickey!

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
No Mickey hasn't lost it, it's a fact that some commentators have a bias against United, maybe because we have been the dominant club, maybe they felt the sharp edge of Fergie's tongue or maybe they support other clubs, fans with mikes and all that.I can see how some may feel it's small time to complain about it but why not? Why should we put up with it? Tyler is a Gooner I remember well the tragic tone in his voice when Valencia scored against his beloved Goons at the Emirates last year.I really feel that this kind of thing is the thin end of the wedge, complain away Mickey!
It's all in your head, every club in the country thinks the media hates them.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,946 Posts
Gary Neville is their main man. Any argument you make will immediately be countered with that.

·
This is how it feels to be City....
15,156 Posts
I agree with Mikey - commentary should be impartial, with maybe the exception of International games

When Wilkins was still calling Chelski 'Us' and their players by their first names it was beyond cringey.

That said; pick your pissing-in-the-wind-type cliché - there's pretty much fuck all we can do about it.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
I agree with Mikey - commentary should be impartial, with maybe the exception of International games

When Wilkins was still calling Chelski 'Us' and their players by their first names it was beyond cringey.

That said; pick your pissing-in-the-wind-type cliché - there's pretty much f**k all we can do about it.
Not really, the ideas are already pre-conceived. Look at the matchday threads, MikeyM is usually the one leading the anti-Sky charge, already complaining about commentators before a word is said. Obviously what MM fails to mention is there is no complaints from City, Liverpool, Chelsea fans when their biggest name who happens to be a very public pro-Utd legend is given their games.

Nobody forces you to listen to it and there's plenty of other options out there.

Like I said every single club thinks the media hates them, bar none. Think and spout whatever drivel you feel like but petitions and letters of complaint makes you look tinpot. Just a trivial matter.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A petition? really? Would be a laughing stock for other clubs if they heard united fans have made a petition. I don't mind the coverage on sky, I think its the best they've had in a while with the exception of Mr Quinn

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
Not really, the ideas are already pre-conceived. Look at the matchday threads, MikeyM is usually the one leading the anti-Sky charge, already complaining about commentators before a word is said. Obviously what MM fails to mention is there is no complaints from City, Liverpool, Chelsea fans when their biggest name who happens to be a very public pro-Utd legend is given their games.

Nobody forces you to listen to it and there's plenty of other options out there.

Like I said every single club thinks the media hates them, bar none. Think and spout whatever drivel you feel like but petitions and letters of complaint makes you look tinpot. Just a trivial matter.
Yes i dont really think match commentators really sit down and say to themselves right lets diss UNITED. Co-commentators however like Quinn in particular is biased its their former allegiance and they cant separate support and proper professionalism.

·
Señor fluffy face.
7,323 Posts
Quinn isn't that biased, just a complete f**king moron.
Although i completely agree that he's an idiot. Last years commentary in the Derby was one of the worst things i'd ever listened to, Quinn was so one sided he might aswell have been sitting in the stands with the City support!

·
^The Special 1^
398 Posts
I don't usually go for this, but it is annoying esp with Tyler.

I'm pretty sure it was Tyler who went "Oh, they've scored" a good few seconds after Antonio beat Vermaelen to the header in the 2-1 win @ the Emirates i believe.

That was the opening goal..

What have we done to deserve Quinn? Not faulting him, he's apparently a top bloke, but his voice REALLY grates with me, and he's clearly levels below most commentators.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Often when i watch streams they do not have English commentary.

It's normally a single bloke speaking really quickly, fumbling his way around players names Adebyour (sp) is a classic one, and getting mildly excited at a Goal.

No chance of hearing bias towards a certain team if you go down that avenue, mainly cause you aint got a clue what the fella's chatting.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
I noticed Tyler' reactions yesterday too, but he's done the same for us in the past. Remember the Bruce header against Wednesday?
But that was YEARS ago. There was a point when I thought Tyler and Gray used to be quite pro-United. But towards the end of Gray's run I really noticed that he was becoming increasingly negative about us, since then i've noticed it more about Tyler too.

It is entirely possible that Tyler and others have grown tired of us always being at the sharp end of things. I remember 10-15 years ago, even though we had been on top for a few years there was a general feeling that come the early part of the 2000's and beyond that we'd have faded and it'd be somebody else's time and although other clubs have won trophies and the PL title along the way, United have pretty much always been there, winning the title or at least fighting until the end of the for it. Maybe the fact that our "time" still hasn't past is rankling with some of these commentators more and more as they get older.

I used to like Tyler generally. I still think he's one of the better lead commentators out there but I hate his voice now, mainly due to that fucking "AGGGGUERO!!!!" last May that I've heard too many times since. That deserved a monsterous shout whichever club scored it TBF but that doesn't mean I have to hate it any less.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts