Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a firm believer that we will retain the Premier League title again this season given the strong position we have already achieved, however...
Forget the fact that you are a passionate United fan for a moment and assume that either Liverpool or Chelsea (or both) win all of their remaining league games,
do you think there is any chance we could slip up and drop enough points to let one of them take the title? and if we were to drop points, who (looking at the remaining United fixtures below) given the fight to either avoid relegation or qualify for Europe would you think would be most likely to take these points from us?

Fulham (A)
Villa (H)
Sunderland (A)
Portsmouth (H)
Tottenham (H)
Middlesborough (A)
Man City (H)
Wigan (A)
Arsenal (H)
Hull (A)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The only games I'm worried about on that list are Fulham away, Boro away and Arsenal at home.

I'm concerned about the Fulham game because I don't know what our reaction will be to the defeat against Liverpool. If we drop points at Craven Cottage after beating them 3-0 and 4-0 earlier in the season the media will have a field day. They will claim that United have 'bottled it' and the pressure on the team will be immense.

Boro are a bogey team of ours. They only seem to motivate themselves (players and fans) when the big 4 come to the Riverside and it'll be a very tough game.

Arsenal are a good side. They beat us at the Emirates and, failing any furhter injuries, they'll have all their big-hitters back by the time we play them. If the title is still in the balance that could be a massive game.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm worried about these games:

Fulham (A)
Villa (H)
Tottenham (H)
Man City (H)
Arsenal (H)

Tottenham and Arsenal games will be the toughest ones IMO.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Im worried about these games

Fulham (A)
Villa (H)
Sunderland (A)
Portsmouth (H)
Tottenham (H)
Middlesborough (A)
Man City (H)
Wigan (A)
Arsenal (H)
Hull (A)

EVERY GAME is as important as the next.Doesnt matter,where,what happened the first time we met ect,we just need to keep focused.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Lets just calm down for a second... we are still points clear and liverpool and chelsea will drop points before the end of the season, especially liverpool... by the time we play Arsenal we should hopefully have already won the league and if our usual response to a defeat is anything to go by fulham are in for another drumming at their place like we gave them in the cup.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Of course there is a chance we could slip up. I personally think there's only a tiny chance but there is still a chance.

If we go into games with the attitude that there is no chance we can slip up and it's already in the bag (complacency basically) then there will be a decent chance we will. There are no games more important than any other at this stage. Every game is equally important, and we need to stay focused on the task in hand.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
None are givens...

Arsenal are a top side on their day, Citeh is a derby: form out the window (altho they are awful on their travels this season), Boro are always a bogey team, Spurs will be sick that we've beaten them twice already this year! Hull may need that game to stay up... Fulham aint bad at home ... Wigan could be a tough one too...

We just have to have faith that we will go on another run just as we did the last time we lost a league game/... that was in NOVEMBER guys so we shouldn't have a reason to be worried, but the last thing we want is to bottle it!

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
If United were level on points with Chelsea/Liverpool now.

Could you see us finishing 9 points behind the leaders?

Good way of thinking about it.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
The only games I'm worried about on that list are Fulham away, Boro away and Arsenal at home.

I'm concerned about the Fulham game because I don't know what our reaction will be to the defeat against Liverpool. If we drop points at Craven Cottage after beating them 3-0 and 4-0 earlier in the season the media will have a field day. They will claim that United have 'bottled it' and the pressure on the team will be immense.
Good point, I agree on the Fulham and Arsenal games, but not Boro to be fair. They may have been our bogey team but they are a much weaker oppostion these days. They could get relegated, its that bad.

In answer to the OP, of course its possible we could slip up, but its highly unlikely.
Either way, Pool will be dropping points for sure. Chelsea would be my bigger concern, but the league should really be ours. We have the experience and the players, so we will do it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm a firm believer that we will retain the Premier League title again this season given the strong position we have already achieved, however...
Forget the fact that you are a passionate United fan for a moment and assume that either Liverpool or Chelsea (or both) win all of their remaining league games,
do you think there is any chance we could slip up and drop enough points to let one of them take the title? and if we were to drop points, who (looking at the remaining United fixtures below) given the fight to either avoid relegation or qualify for Europe would you think would be most likely to take these points from us?
Football is a strange game. It's all about confidence. If we play with conviction , speed/tempo and spirit then I'm not worried at all. If we plod about like we did against Liverpool then we have no chance. It's not about the games it's about what goes on between the ears. If I see a United that is starving hungry and angry as hell versus Fulham then I will sleep well at the weekend. Until then I'm confident but slightly nervous

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Football is a strange game. It's all about confidence. If we play with conviction , speed/tempo and spirit then I'm not worried at all. If we plod about like we did against Liverpool then we have no chance. It's not about the games it's about what goes on between the ears. If I see a United that is starving hungry and angry as hell versus Fulham then I will sleep well at the weekend. Until then I'm confident but slightly nervous
Would you be happy if we played terribly but still won?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Would you be happy if we played terribly but still won?
Oh yes , that would be fine by me. I think we have been the best team all season and even if we limped to the title we would deserve it. However, to play terribly and still come through would require steely determination and hunger anyway.

It's not about playing "stylish" football for me , it's just about playing to our stengths and being effective. I have rarely seen a United performance that was highly effective that also lacked intensity and focussed speedy passing. We seem to come undone when we slow things down too much and try to hold leads rather than build on them. Numerous pundits agree with me (andy townsend, alan green etc)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
we're not robots..and the game against liverpool prooved it. I think that no only the boro away will be tricky but the games against Villa and Arsenal(if it will count ..hopefully not:D). We have to be careful until the end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is great possibility Arsenal,Villa,Tottenham to still points
There are also a few others that can go for a draw I guess
There is danger that things might go wrong, but this scenario is equal to true disaster
I believe that Liverpool won't mistake they chase the first place with gu

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The only games i'm concerned about is the Middlesbrough (A) game and Arsenal (H) game, i don't know why but playing Middlesbrough away always seems hard to get 3 points, yes there is a chance of United slipping up but i doubt it, after that 4-1 defeat to Liverpool at Old Trafford, the players will be eager to get back on track and win another trophy, it was just a wake-up call for them, they had gone 18 or so games without a defeat in the premier league, bot to forget the champions league, so in a way they were due for a loss, maybe not 4-1 but they needed a loss, i think though that United will win all of those games.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
There are no easy games in this league especially away from home , and most of the teams are fighting for survival

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not a chance will we slip up,when ever we get beat the next team up against us know they are gonna be in for an even tougher game because we have something to prove so hopefully i dont have to eat these words but i reckon 4 1 to united fingers crossed

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
There are no easy games in this league especially away from home , and most of the teams are fighting for survival
this result backs it up , i have been saying for ages on this forum nothing major has been won and we could easily blow the lot.
We need to regroup and get our season back on track , i have said all along i would be happy with just one more trophy from this season

1 - 20 of 20 Posts