Manchester United Talk banner

Is this true??

2K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  Johnny 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just texted saying that the 'You Never Walk Alone' song was first sung my Man Utd supporters after the Munich crash. My mate said he just heard it on the Ray D'arcy show here in Ireland just a few minutes ago.

Is this something else that the bindippers have robbed??

#3 ·
That is true there was a big debate about this last year! its great to know that they're singing our song!

It was sung at OT after the Munich crash but wasn't adopted, I remember talking to an older fan, he said he remembered in being sung when he was a kid.

Celtic and Liverpool sing it now cos it was sung before a friendly game beween them shortly after hillsborough

#7 ·
That is true there was a big debate about this last year! its great to know that they're singing our song!

It was sung at OT after the Munich crash but wasn't adopted, I remember talking to an older fan, he said he remembered in being sung when he was a kid.

Celtic and Liverpool sing it now cos it was sung before a friendly game beween them shortly after hillsborough
i think you will find that this song was being sung by these teams way before hillsborough happened and i am sure liverpool and celtic have been singing this song since i have followed football {mid 70's} , whenever these 2 teams meet they join together to sing the anthem .

#10 ·
Grandmother Jane Hardwick says she was left seeing red after reading a letter in a newspaper which said the song, made famous by Gerry and the Pacemakers, was first belted out on the terraces of Anfield. Jane, 61, was a teenage opera singer when many of her footballing heroes were killed in the tragic Munich air crash in 1958. And as her own special tribute to the Busby Babes, heartbroken Jane convinced her friends from New Mills Operatic Society in Derbyshire to join her in a rousing rendition of the song at one of the games following the tragedy. The tune was written for the 1945 musical Carousel, which Jane and her friends were rehearsing at the time.

"It has annoyed me so much that people think the song was first sung by the Liverpool fans. The Munich crash was so horrible and everyone was feeling down and despondent and it just seemed an appropriate song to sing. It was an emotional time and I managed to persuade my friends to join in with me.
Soon the whole ground was singing it and many people, including me, were in tears. I never dreamed it would become the anthem of our old rivals but I wanted to put the record straight about where the song originated from on the terraces."

You'll Never Walk Alone - Manchester United - Soccer forum - BigSoccer

#17 ·
What are you on about? I suppose you were standing there beside the lady when she started singing?

Go away you child, i'll just embarrass you.
You already have done :laugh: as you are now implying sh!t again, you only knew because you read about a woman singing it, says a lot about you and what you know about the club. oh dear, now don't bore me any more, fecking students eh :rolleyes:

Over fooking reacting all the time, now go and study

#18 ·
You already have done :laugh: as you are now implying sh!t again, you only knew because you read about a woman singing it, says a lot about you and what you know about the club. oh dear, now don't bore me any more, fecking students eh :rolleyes:

What the hell are you about you clown? Where did you know this statement from? Please tell.

fecking students? You could obviously do with a few more years in the educational system, what's your occupation 'jack of all trades'. Loser it is then.

#19 ·

It was where most people would have gotten the knowledge of the song started at United from.

#21 ·

What`s wrong with learning things over the internet? I only knew about this today, not that i ever gave a damn about the origin of You`ll never walk alone anyways, but i`m willing to learn about everything concerning football.
Internet and books is where we learn loadsa stuff, anyone denying this would be the biggest liar on earth :rolleyes:

#22 ·
What`s wrong with learning things over the internet? I only knew about this today, not that i ever gave a damn about the origin of You`ll never walk alone anyways, but i`m willing to learn about everything concerning football.
Internet and books is where we learn loadsa stuff, anyone denying this would be the biggest liar on earth :rolleyes:
I wouldn't even bother trying Roxii. You need to actually drop a few levels to actually talk to him. It's like talking to a newborn baby with this guy. If he's anymore than 12, it's embarrassing.

#25 ·
its harsh to slag people off for not knowing things about the clubs history...i am lucky i had a grandad who told me massive amounts of stories and then i read all the books etc and found out as much as i could.......people who are new fans or just starting to get into united can't be crticised for learning new things about the club.

the only fans i slag off are the ones who DON'T want to learn anything about the club or its history and whose total knowledge and interest is the eleven players on the field right now , people who WANT to learn things and find new things out are fine by me, shows there interested rather than just turning up to watch matches of a team they know nothing about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.