Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit that, VDS can sometimes let us down in some pressure games. I think he does this a lot when we play against good teams or when we need 3 points. I remember last season, VDS made a lot of mistakes from corners and crosses or set pieces coming into the box. The reason why nobody notices is because he is a great shot stopper. If there are no corners, crosses or set pieces, you will not score againt VDS.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
trikam patel said:
I still think VDS is the best keeper in the world, but he needs to chatge and collect the ball more

I don't think he can be conisdered in the same league as Buffon, Casillas and Cech. Even though Cech is not as good as he used to be, he's still better than VDS.

There are also several younger goal-keepers, who I rate higher than VDS at the moment.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Van Der Sar is our best ever keeper (bar the dane).

Finally we have a safe, reliable pair of hands after Barthez, Howard, Carrol, Taibi and Bosnich. We can rely on him, even though he is nearing 40.

Top class keeper. Would make a great goalkeeping coach.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
every goalie have his weakness and this is Van der sar's one

am really ****ed of by this
4 bad matches and them we find many threads just slating and bashing the player

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
vds is an accident waiting to happen i have said this numerous times on here and so have others ,i know he won us the champions league and he has been a top quality keeper but he makes elimentry mistakes on a regular basis but luckily is protected by good defenders.
i hope we soon see foster take the jersey ,then i will be far more confident against major rivals.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry but i think Vand Der Sars days have passed.He cant collect a cross, kick a ball and even now he is starting to palm the shot out straight infront of him. In my opinion Ben Foster should now be between our sticks. He could be the answer to Englands problems and could properly fill the Great Danes. Thats my opinion anyway...

·
Registered
70 Posts
He's a flapper and his kick outs sometimes goe awry...how, after being a keeper for so long, can you still get the basics wrong. It's like James's abilities as a shot stopper, great, but his head goes funny and things go wrong.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think VDS should really be dropped.

He's cost us two goals already this season, which could have been 3, and since he broke his nose against Tottenham he has been deteriorating.

At the beginning of the season, I said he should be number 1. However (^) and I think that dropping him would be the best option.

I would love Foster to replace him, but if he isn't fit, I would even drop him for Tomasz. Yes, hes not everyones cup of tea. But I think VDS should be dropped, even if it is to try to up his game. And if we just keep saying "We can't drop VDS because I don't like Tomasz", how is that going to make the goalkeeping situation competitive and keep VDS on his toes, if of course he was to get back into the squad?

Hes still a great shot-stopper, but hes getting worse dealing with crosses imho, he doesn't go into challenges/sticky situations with the same conviction and hes starting to palm shots away, which should be comfortably caught.

Sure, VDS has done a fantastic job from us since hes signed. But reputations shouldn't count for anything imho if players are playing badly.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Vds has looked pretty weak handling crosses the past couple of games, there were many times the past few years where the defense has been shaky. My biggest concern is the inability to keep possession in our half and link with mid field players, this system is broke right now!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
sweet fa said:
vds is an accident waiting to happen i have said this numerous times on here and so have others ,i know he won us the champions league and he has been a top quality keeper but he makes elimentry mistakes on a regular basis but luckily is protected by good defenders.
i hope we soon see foster take the jersey ,then i will be far more confident against major rivals.
Absolutely agreed. VDS's errors would be more exposed, if he did not have Rio and Vidic in front of him, but it deteriorated until today. The one thing I don't understand about Fergie in recent times is his willingness to play players past their sell-by date when he used to be so good at judging when a player's time wasup.

Mybe he regrets the Jaap Stam sale too much, but Jaap was 30 when he was sold and playing at higher level than VDS and Giggs are at the moment.

Hezzy said:
Sorry but i think Vand Der Sars days have passed.He cant collect a cross, kick a ball and even now he is starting to palm the shot out straight infront of him. In my opinion Ben Foster should now be between our sticks. He could be the answer to Englands problems and could properly fill the Great Danes. Thats my opinion anyway...

Don't be sorry - it's true.

Of course a lot of us are being too harsh, but it's because we have seen it happen since last season, where as other posters might have chosen to look past his istakes, it was obvious to us that age is catching up with him.

As you get older, you;re supposed to use your experience to caver any weaknesses you may have, but Edwin isn't doing that.

Bring on Ben Foster!

·
Registered
734 Posts
VDS has passed it throw him out the door, i dont care what every1 thinks but the first goal was just VDS being a fairy and not wanting to crash into Brown, VDS a great shot stopper who the F cares a shot stopper isnt the hardest thing in the world your only a great if you can do it all, and with VDS at 40ish he is not it anymore so give the others a chance or bring in new blood. the best right now is Cassilas "i know Real" but quality is quality and he is the best. some1 said about VDS and pinos evens out, good god when are we going to be in a shoot out again, its just stupid, the worst part of our defense is the keeper easily.

·
23,699 Posts
Blade said:
It was a rhettorical question, much like the one in the thread title.
Rhetorical or not, VDS is beginning to 'show it' since last season with some inexplicable mistakes.

For this season, it was already his second mistake in the first four games (including the Super Cup) which should not have happened for a world class keeper like him.

To show no concern for it would be a strange indifference or plain stubborn delusion.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Boomhauer50 said:
VDS has passed it throw him out the door, i dont care what every1 thinks but the first goal was just VDS being a fairy and not wanting to crash into Brown, VDS a great shot stopper who the F cares a shot stopper isnt the hardest thing in the world your only a great if you can do it all, and with VDS at 40ish he is not it anymore so give the others a chance or bring in new blood. the best right now is Cassilas "i know Real" but quality is quality and he is the best. some1 said about VDS and pinos evens out, good god when are we going to be in a shoot out again, its just stupid, the worst part of our defense is the keeper easily.

I wouldn't throw him out the door - I'd keep him as a backup :)

It's time for someone else to take over. His ability to save penalties doesn't balance out anything. How often does it happen a season. As some member have already said he's cost us points and yesterday his mistakes cost us big time and turned the match.

As you ponted out, ppl say he's a great shot-stopper, but it's his job to be stop-shots. So they're praising him for doing his job, but when he fumbles crosses, flaps at them, mickicks and makes dodgy decisions he's not doing his job is he? :mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts