Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading thorugh these forums for some months now and I finally decided to register so firstly hello to everyone!

Right, there is something which I need to get off my chest. Something which burns deep within me and chews me up on the inside, and I need to share it here. This may have been touched on by others here, so if this is re-visiting old ground then I'm sorry, but ;

"Squeaky bum time"

Fergie has never used this phrase. It has become one of the most popular misquotes in sporting history and it bothers me so much. I think I have a not so mild O.C.D when it comes to this phrase. A few years back - it escapes me exactly when - Fergie was in an interview (I think pre/post match in the tunnel) and when on the subject of how tight things were at the top of the table he refered to it as ;

"Squeeze your bum time"

When you get tense you clench the muscles in your buttocks. You 'squeeze your bum'. Fergie was jokingly saying that things were so close and tense at the top of the league that everyone was squeezing their bum. Squeeze your bum time. I remember it perfectly. As soon as they cut back to the studio they immediately (and this was the launch of the misquote) picked up on what Fergie had said as 'Squeaky bum time', this being a result of course of Fergies thick accent. Since that day the phrase as become something of a sporting institution ; I read it in newspaper colums, hear pundits say it on television - heck it even makes back page headlines from time to time. This sunday I watched 'Sunday Supplement' on Sky Sports and it was mentioned not once, but twice, by the featured journalists.

I wonder - am I the only one who remembers what he actually said clear as day, or am I alone in my suffering? :rofl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's used it a few times. He definitely used it during the 06/07 season because it's on the season review dvd.

Yes, but the original quote of 'squeeze your bum time' was made a couple of years earlier than that. Fergie probably made it as a very off-the-cuff comment and doesn't remember making it. In years since journalists have used that phrase with Fergie in interview situations and subsequently Fergie has used it back because he knows the journos lap that phrase up.

My search will go on. Someone else must know what I know. Even if they use this logic ;

Squeeze your bum : something you do when you're tense/nervous.

Squeaky bum : no meaning.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
its hard to understand fergie at the best of times! you may well be right, i dont recall the interview... either way squeeky bum time is a phrase that will always be associated with him which i think is funny!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I assume the phrase 'squeeky bum time' refers to 'being on the edge of your seat' with excitement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume the phrase 'squeeky bum time' refers to 'being on the edge of your seat' with excitement.
I can only assume thats what journalists think when they use the phrase yeah, though if they ever watched his first ever use of it, as it was said, "squeeze your bum time" I think they would realise what little sense the phrase they have been using made.

It's such a silly thing but because I watched him say it live the very first time it's just something that has stuck with me so every time the misquote is used I get wound up! :rofl:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I thought it had a similar meaning to 'squeeze your bum'.

From Wiki...

The noises commonly associated with flatulence are caused by the vibration of the anal sphincter, and occasionally by the closed buttocks.

Squeeze your bum, squeak one out. :D

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
That little phrase bothered you that much? Jesus, I was hoping to come into a thread that tried to understand the reason why we can't kill teams off lately. Instead, I get this.:mad:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That little phrase bothered you that much? Jesus, I was hoping to come into a thread that tried to understand the reason why we can't kill teams off lately. Instead, I get this.:mad:
I'm afraid so. I started the thread in the 'football banter' section due to the unimportance of it but it got moved into the main section. Out of my control, sorry.

If you'd like a spin on why we can't kill teams off of late then I'd say because all of our 3 strikers tend to drop far too deep so no matter who we start with upfront we almost always find ourselves playing a 4-6-0 formation wether that be at home or away. We played well last night against Pompey in my opinion but on numerous occasions the ball was spread out to wide players, who looked up, and found nobody in the box waiting.

Berbatov actually looks afraid to shoot as quite often he'll opt to knock it sideways instead of have a dig when he gets site of goal. He seems to be putting himself under too much pressure almost as if he fears making mistakes and missing chances.

Tevez works his socks off and can hold the ball up really well but wastes energy on lost causes often leading to a lack of pace when he is put through. His finishing is quite poor too in my opinion.

Rooney's tendency is always to drop out of the box to pick the ball up as we don't have central midfielders who get forward, subsequently making Rooney think his 2 options are either wait for a ball in the box where he has to try and win it against a defender who more often than not has probably got 5 inches on him, or drop deep to get it himself.

Ronaldo has a decent goal tally but generally isn't playing too well this year. He seems to get doubled up on by defenders and he seems to have forgotten how to skin players down the wing.

Maybe we're having 'second season syndrome' after winning the major double, or maybe we're lacking in desire throughout the squad. I personally think we've rotated the midfield 4 far too much this years thus giving ourselves little chance to find consistent partnerships in our starting 11.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I might be too late but im throwing it in there..lol...squeaky bum time,, when you nervous you slide forward on the seat(makes a squeaking noise???) edging closer to the game? lol prob miles off but thats how i interpret it:laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts