Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm not panicing about not having a striker. But with the injuries we currently have (ronaldo/slave) we need a goalscorer and if we don't sign one we will quite honestly win nothing this season. But i am confident SAF can bring in his man. :(

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I personally think if we do not get Berba or someone of his quality we will struggle to score after created numerous chances like vs Newcastle and vs Zenit...its our top priority! We only need one player and our squad is complete for this season and plus we have like 60m pounds to do it! If we do not get anyone it will be really bad :(

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
the nistelrooy years were pretty lean trophy wise compared to before and after him as we just seemed to hoof it to ruud . against lesser teams he would fill his boots but arse and chelsea and liverpools of the world shut him and thus us out of games . we do need a striker but we do not need to go back to that style

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
United_OG said:
lol people panick real quick over everything it seems. Ever since ruud has left we have apparently needed this striker but in the last two years, we have won the english premiership TWICE and the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

I do however agree we need a striker but i dont think he has to be anything like hunterlaar at all, infact i think someone like an etoo would be much better. We need a goalscorer who fits united system too imo.

Yes ronaldos feats last year aint an easy thing to achieve but the season before he was world class too without scoring as many goals and we still won alot.

Aslong as the players we have in the squad right now are fit and able and on form for the season, we'll be great! :)

I do think having a fit saha would have been invaluable to us though, so different to the rest of out team, explosiv,strong etc.

BUT he was never fit, only has himself to blame.

pz
I would just like to point out that before Ronaldo went on a run in 2006/07 we had to thank Louis Saha for scoring some crucial goals in the first half of that season.

Without Ronaldo, I would dare say we need a proper tall, strong centre forward like Louis Saha.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I would just like to point out that before Ronaldo went on a run in 2006/07 we had to thank Louis Saha for scoring some crucial goals in the first half of that season.

Without Ronaldo, I would dare say we need a proper tall, strong centre forward like Louis Saha.
No arguements from me mate, infact i a a very big saha fan. Especially the saha before his injuries became chronic and started effecting the player that saha was.

Infact even with Ronaldo, i would argue we need this player...(is manucho that guy??...could frazier fill the spot/....berbatov is class)...but why saha imo was soo good for us was because he was top class but had no problem with being on the bench at times and when he would be on top form fergie would play him. I would have tevez and rooney as first choice still once ronaldo is back BUT if berbatov comes...who will the favoured two upfront be? Or who is the one out of the three that will play all the time? while the other two get rotated...is Rooney that man? most likely...or is it Berbatov? Maybe tevez...he is the form guy.

I honestly think this has been the toughest summer for united in terms of transfer activity in years that i can think of...because we are such a strong team when all fit but this new player..or players that come, there is soo much to think about when bringing him in...as you can tell by the soo many different opinions on this board. Only thing we all agree on is needs to be able to score goals.lol

pz

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
by the way, it could be that im slightly biased and think that the players we have are generally better than most lol...maybe thats an innate thing being a united fan i dont know but i stick up for the players we have before all others!! haha...its funny that im sticking up for rooney in general this season (his performance against zenit was woeful) in comparison to many and last year when i was not so kind on the guy!...Where is fergaiste when u need him huh? lol when i would stick up for ronaldo and him rooney...so much easier haha

pz

·
23,699 Posts
manutd004 said:
However, for various reasons, I don't think Berbatov is the right man. But we certainly need one, definitely.

If we don't sign one, and things don't go well this season, I think Sir Alex needs to take the blame sadly.
Agree. Whether for footballing reason or not, which remains debatable no matter how close the deal seems to be, I think what his team mate said is true and most objective:

"If I didn't want to be somewhere, I'd still give my all -- every training session, every game. Some players will work in these situations and others won't . . . It doesn't give out a great message and hasn't exactly boosted the reputation of professional footballers in this country." - - Jonathon Woodgate

Agree too. Sir Alex had all the time since May when last season ended to fix whatever loose ends he deems we have. What he has done for us for more than 20 years cannot absolve him from blame for this current season. Apple and orange; separate issues.

·
23,699 Posts
mather23 said:
Win the Champions League and the Premier League and get off to an unbeaten start in the league and what do people do? - complain.
As for why Ruud left, there are many reasons. He had a poor attitude towards the end of his time, he was off form and he was stifling the movement of Rooney and especially Ronaldo. Since he left we have won the league twice and the Champions League. I'm not saying he isn't a great forward because he clearly is and has just won La Liga again but that is because he fits into Madrid's system.
Last year our strikers scored 42 goals between them - personally I think they'll score more this year.
Finally, everyone keeps saying we need a striker who scores 20 goals a season - last year Rooney got 18 and Tevez 19, not too bad really
For the umpteenth times, our strikers only scored as much as a winger who had an exceptional season of 42 goals that will be unlikely to be repeated. It is not a comfort at all. Minus a few goals from that and you don't need a calculator to know that we would have lost the EPL title.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts