4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This made me cry ffs ... :eek:

A song by 2 guys from Salford ...

Called Hankey Park Duo ...

You can hear it on ...

www.myspace.com/manutdtalk

Beautiful Song ...

It's fifty years, since you were taken, the pride of football, our Busby Babes.
We've shed our tears, and watched the newsreels, whilst you have slumbered, in your graves.
Though life's moved on, the Reds continue, we've plumbed the depths, we've touched the sky.
Our mem'ries of, the flowers of Manchester, like Man United, will never die.

Roger Byrne, our worthy captain, Geoff and Eddie, Salford brave,
David Pegg, and Tommy Taylor, Mark and Liam, such pleasure gave.
For all you men, you football stalwarts, death was instant, life was gone.
For fifteen days, of pain and struggle, mighty Duncan, lingered on.

We don't forget, the other victims, United players who survived.
Some played on, achieving glory, some too injured to make the side
Our thoughts now turn to all non-players, this tragedy, was theirs as well
The wretched grief, for friends and families, so far removed from where they fell.

You are the strength and inspiration, for those who play your roles today.
We look for flair and pace and passion, to play the game United's way.
Though life's moved on, the Reds continue, we've plumbed the depths, we've touched the sky.
Our mem'ries of, the flowers of Manchester, like Man United, will never die.

Will never die, will never die, like Man United, will never die
Will never die, will never die, like Man United, will never die.

S

·
0 Posts
Why the supprise they come from salford :confused:
There's hundreds of great groups/bands/musicians come from Salford.
And tons of songs about United or the Babes.
Click bands at the top.
http://www.salfordmusic.com/famous.htm

A couple of points though, HANKy PARK aren't a duo, they're a group ( there's four members ) and there is no E in the name. ;)
HANKy PARK are named after the area, and there's a park nearby called Chimney Pot Park where my kids used to play, and have been on the music scene for years.
Well worth going to see if they play near you. Seen them about 50 times or more.
http://www.hankypark.net/

Edited as there are two different Hanky Parks, the one above is an indie/pop/rock band and the other is a comedy/folk duo which is the one Carly mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I typed "Manchester United Fifty Years" into google and it brought me to this site.

I am Pete Martin and I wrote "Fifty Years". Iam half of a comedy/folk duo called Hanky Park and we have been going for 20 years. We have no connection with hANKYpARK the Indi band but we have no quarrel with them either - anybody who helps put Salford on the map is OK. Red Dwarf (was it red dwarf?) was right when he said there is no E in Hanky Park. Hanky Park was an area of old Salford and was where the precinct is now. It wasn't a park but an area of 2-up and 2-down houses and one street was Hankinson Street - where it got Hanky Park from. Maybe there was a park there before the houses were built. Chimneypot Park is a few hundred yards away and got its name because it is on a hill and all you can see when you walk in it is chimneypots.

There is a video to "Fifty Years" at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ne2zcQixQ
which was done by Twisted Woody who did the video for our version of "Flowers of Manchester". He did that video 12 months ago, long before the guy who did Mick Groves' video which looks like a copy of Twisted Woody's.

In 2001 Gez Mason started to sing "Flowers of Manchester" under the Munich Plaque at O.T. on Feb 6th and on the nearest home game to the anniversary of the crash. He is now involved with FC United so doesn't do the home game anymore but I have done it for the past five years. There were about 600 there an hour before kick-off on Feb 10th and it was the ludest I have heard them sing - loads of people joined in to both "Flowers of Manchester" and "Fifty Years". you can hear Fifty years at http://www.myspace.com/manunited50years and I have a CD for sale of both songs - all profits to Salford Lads Club. www.hankypark.co.uk

The main reason for writing here is to thank all those people who have written nice comments about my song and to thank anybody who was under the plaque on Feb 6th and Feb 10th for joining in.
Sithee

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hanky Parker said:
I typed "Manchester United Fifty Years" into google and it brought me to this site.

I am Pete Martin and I wrote "Fifty Years". Iam half of a comedy/folk duo called Hanky Park and we have been going for 20 years. We have no connection with hANKYpARK the Indi band but we have no quarrel with them either - anybody who helps put Salford on the map is OK. Red Dwarf (was it red dwarf?) was right when he said there is no E in Hanky Park. Hanky Park was an area of old Salford and was where the precinct is now. It wasn't a park but an area of 2-up and 2-down houses and one street was Hankinson Street - where it got Hanky Park from. Maybe there was a park there before the houses were built. Chimneypot Park is a few hundred yards away and got its name because it is on a hill and all you can see when you walk in it is chimneypots.

There is a video to "Fifty Years" at http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ne2zcQixQ
which was done by Twisted Woody who did the video for our version of "Flowers of Manchester". He did that video 12 months ago, long before the guy who did Mick Groves' video which looks like a copy of Twisted Woody's.

In 2001 Gez Mason started to sing "Flowers of Manchester" under the Munich Plaque at O.T. on Feb 6th and on the nearest home game to the anniversary of the crash. He is now involved with FC United so doesn't do the home game anymore but I have done it for the past five years. There were about 600 there an hour before kick-off on Feb 10th and it was the ludest I have heard them sing - loads of people joined in to both "Flowers of Manchester" and "Fifty Years". you can hear Fifty years at http://www.myspace.com/manunited50years and I have a CD for sale of both songs - all profits to Salford Lads Club. www.hankypark.co.uk

The main reason for writing here is to thank all those people who have written nice comments about my song and to thank anybody who was under the plaque on Feb 6th and Feb 10th for joining in.
Sithee
Not sure if you noticed we had a thread about your song here ...

It impressed me so much I started it to show the guys here.

So I moved your post here too ...

Hope you don't mind.

Talk to you on Myspace soon ... ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Not sure if you noticed we had a thread about your song here ...

It impressed me so much I started it to show the guys here.

So I moved your post here too ...

Hope you don't mind.

Talk to you on Myspace soon ... ;)
Don't mind anything. Thanks for the nice comments and for using the first verse as a signature. It was amazing for me to hear so many people singing my song under the plaque - maybe they will start singing the first verse on match days in the ground - that WOULD be special for me.
Sithee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts