Manchester United Talk banner

It's time for Shaun to move on

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  TheManc 
#1 ·
IAN WRIGHT has told Shaun Wright-Phillips to QUIT Chelsea.

Wright has watched his son's career grind to a halt since the winger completed a £21million switch from Manchester City in July 2005.

And the Arsenal legend believes Wright-Phillips should accept a move to Portsmouth if Harry Redknapp follows up his interest with a firm bid.

Wrighty said: "I think Portsmouth would be a good move for Shaun.

"He's won a lot of medals and has done well at Chelsea. But he could go somewhere like Portsmouth and completely resurrect his career.

"Shaun can get people talking about him again like they used to when he was at City.

"He's only shown flashes of what he can do at Chelsea. But if he's playing regularly I think he can light up the Premier League again because he's a quality player.

"And I'm not just saying that because he's my son. He's a very good footballer technically, he has a lot of drive and passion, and he works very hard for the team.

"I told him two years ago to leave Chelsea because I couldn't see the end of the rainbow for him.

"I could only see him getting sporadic starts and you can't do that at his age.

"Shaun's 26 now and being at a club like Portsmouth, where he's going to play regularly, will boost him.

"He'll also get back in the England squad on merit instead of being there just because he's at a big club.

"Regardless of what happens now Phil Scolari is in charge, I personally think Shaun should leave Chelsea."

Redknapp openly admits he would love to take Wright-Phillips to Fratton Park.

And the Pompey boss will make his move if Scolari announces the England international is surplus to requirements.

He said: "I haven't spoken to anyone at Chelsea. But I like Shaun, he's a terrific talent.

"Of course he's the type of player I would love to have." -TheSun

Last two year summer Arsenal was interested to sign this boy......and now I think Wenger still like Shaun......

See less See more
G
#6 ·
It baffles me why youngsters choose to go to Chelsea.
Chelsea is where careers are ended.

Even older players have struggled at Chelsea like Shevchenko,
Anelka, Pizarro. Then you've got Steve Sidwell, Juliano Belletti,
Asier Del Horno, all quality players who's careers have all been
put on pause.

In a way it's their own fault for chasing a big salary so they can
only blame themselves to be honest.

#7 ·
-zuco- said:
In a way it's their own fault for chasing a big salary so they can
only blame themselves to be honest.
Exactly, so we shouldnt feel sorry for them.
Its just pure greed imo.
I pay to play football cos I love it and sitting on ANY bench isnt an option.
God knows why and how these decent players put up with it.
Move on Shaun....

#9 ·
SWP is a good player and his talent has been wasted for far too long at Chelsea. With Aaron Lennon not really living up to his potential SWP should be competing for a starting place in the England side but he can't even get a game at club level. I hope he moves on - he's been repeatedly linked with a move back to City during his time at Chelsea and Pompey are also interested. Either would be a good move for him imo.

G
#12 ·
owenrooneyruud said:
i rate him one of the best at chelski but they dont play him.. he is better than malouda, kalou but mourinho and grant played them ahead of SWP. he should leave and the best club for him would probaly be newcastle, pompey or spurs
Another club that ends careers :rolleyes:

I think he'd do well at Villa or something like that.

#13 ·
MMU10 said:
Chelsea play very narrow minded football through the middle of the pitch..shaun is a wide player who like to take defenders on with his speed...amazing player when he played for city hope he goes to another decent club and gets his career back on trak...chelsea is not the right club for him!
Sorry might be a bit controversial due to ma recent post but ive jus remembered big phil is the new manager and he likes to play down the wings, shaun mite be in with a shout, but then again i dont think his proven himself with chelsea for scolari to put faith in him especially with the proposed transfer of ronaldhinio :s

#14 ·
SWP is a good player who, if he could find a consistent end product, could be a very good player. He definately needs to leave chelski, but I don't think Pompey would be the best move for him. Yes he would get games, but Pompey don't really play down the wings, they play through the middle with the powerhouses they have. Plys they play quite defensively and there pitch is very narrow, which would limit the space for SWP to play in.

A team like Newcastle would be ideal for him or some other club that play attacking, fast football.

But he would still be a lot better at pompey than where he is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.