1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The news source doesn't seem very convincing, but I would be glad if it were true!

He was a top player, so he should be able to recognize talent.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Im surprise such a hot story like that receive such a small portion of the news page.. :p

Of course it will great to know that its all forgive and forget between the two..who wouldnt want to work for united? even as a scout? He could make a good scout too i think, not only he was a great footballer...he knows everything about the club and what kind of players that are expected here.Wish it is true thou.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm not accepting this as the truth until its confirmed by a reliable source. I usually don't anyway, but the story didn't seem very convincing. Just seems like Gossip to me.

But this would be great news if it is true. He was a fantastic defender, so hopefully hes able to spot a player when he sees one. And you can't have too many scouts. It means that we can have a larger area covered, and more opinions on any players.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd be suprised if he did come back to United in any way. But it would be a good suprise Jaap was a top class defender and I'm sure would be able to recognise talent when he sees it.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
abojodeh said:
i don't believe it yet

but it would be great to see Jaap again

he was the main Rock behind the Treble and defianlty the best defender in the history of the game

just found this pic with Jaap holding a flag with MUFC XXX AJAX written on it

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/jonty07/JaapStam.jpg
Lol a bit OTT don't you think? He was a world class CB, and one of the best we've ever had, however there are players like Baresi, Maldini, Beckembaur(sp?) ect who would probably be ahead of Stam in the pecking order.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
TheManc said:
Lol a bit OTT don't you think? He was a world class CB, and one of the best we've ever had, however there are players like Baresi, Maldini, Beckembaur(sp?) ect who would probably be ahead of Stam in the pecking order.
Backingpowder wasn't a very good defender when it comes into defence
and Baresi/Maldine were short sweepers who depend on tackles while Jaap was a bulky tower but yet fast to catch any defender, good at clearing the ball, mighty header of the ball etc..
as i notice that in the 60's/70's/80's the average height of the players were smaller and the dependence on physical ability was less
imo Baresi and Maldine won't make it in our team as Baresi would sit on the bench and Maldine maybe play on the left

i probably mistaken calling him the greatest ever i may should called him the greatest ever in the English league :p

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
From Setanta Sports

Stam confirms scouting mission

Jaap Stam has confirmed he has been scouting in Brazil for Manchester United.

The former Red Devils stopper saw highly-rated Internacional striker Walter score in a youth game against Ceramica and also watched Gremio's clash with Santos.

Although leaving Old Trafford under something of a cloud, the Dutchman is clearly happy to be working again for Sir Alex Ferguson as United look to add to their recent signing of promising Brazilians Rodrigo Possebon, Rafael and Fabio.

"I came to Brazil to look at some young talents," Stam told Globo Esporte.

"Walter played well - he made some mistakes but it is natural because they are all very young."

Stam denied he was watching any player in particular in Gremio's 2-0 success against Santos but attacking midfielder Douglas Costa has already been linked with a move to Old Trafford in some quarters.

The Gremio starlet, only 17, has been attracting interest from some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
That's good news, hopefully there's a Brazilian clone of him just waiting to be found. He could probably recognize good attacking players too, since he played against the best for years and years. He cracks United's all time XI, I wouldn't go so far as the World XI though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts