Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the ruud vs cole thread thought this should be on here.

vidic is more recent obviously but in my opinion has been more than outstanding for us.

rio is a rock and barely puts a foot wrong(although he did slip up a few times vs inter milan on tuesday)

jaap staam was a legend, when he was sold to lazio for 16/half mill i was gutted. i thought it was a mistake, and SAF has since condemned it as a mistake.

my vote goes for vidic
the serbian monster

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
hmmm ...a tough one...

tough one between stam and vida - but stam for now...

although vida's very very close

oh and rio's easily third

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Vidic for me hes an absolute monster and cant remember him having a bad game since he settled in! really glad we got him and not the scousers :eek:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would have to pick one between Stam and Vidic (I also picked them as my CB pairing in a Utd team a month of so ago ;) :p)

I'm really not sure which one tbh. Atm, they've both roughly spent the same amount of time at United and they have both been fantastic CB's.

I'll pick Vidic seeing as he's scored more goals, according to Wiki (as I really can't decide :eek:)

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have to pick one between Stam and Vidic (I also picked them as my CB pairing in a Utd team a month of so ago ;) :p)

I'm really not sure which one tbh. Atm, they've both roughly spent the same amount of time at United and they have both been fantastic CB's.

I'll pick Vidic seeing as he's scored more goals, according to Wiki (as I really can't decide :eek:)
cant argue with that, vidic is good with his head.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Me and my dad were having this debate last night.

He thinks Stam is the best defender he's seen, I think Vidic and Ferdinand are better to be honest, but Stam was immense!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stam was excellent but when he was here we received goals, now when Vida and Rio r here we haven`t received any goal for more then 1000 minutes. That`s how I look at who is better CB. I also think that today Premier league is much better then 10 years ago. Vida and Rio r better then Yap.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Not fair!! Why isnt Pallister included?? :p

Rio, when on top of his game to me is better then any defender in the world, simply because he has twice the talent.Brilliant at reading of the game, very good in the air, good tackler, strong and good on the ball. Also his leadership shines but that said, Stam was the best and most complete defender we had , hard to find a flaring weakness in his game infact to me he is stronger than rio.With Vida, he is no different from the other two but not too sure whats up with Rio recently( could be due to his back problem) where consistency is lack of him, I have to go with Vida. Not only that, i thought rio was brilliant at reading game but vida just edges him a bit more.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
if vidic goes down rio prob grabs hm by his shirt and tells him to get up :p me id b scared shitless to say hello to vida :rolleyes::p
Why is there so much of this immature sexual innuendo ******** in the forum lately?

nothing personal to you btw canto loads of people seem to be doing it

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
1.Stam
2.Vidic
3.Bruce
4.Ferdinand

Stam is the best all around defender we ever had
Vidic is the best in the air the bravest after Bruce
Bruce is the bravest man ever the true leader and the one who never fails you plus hes wonderful at fround tackles
Rio is the best for catching pacy strikers and good in everything else

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It depends on the argument. If going on who has been the best, then I think Stam when he was top of his game. The guy was just an absolute monster.

But if I were building a team, i would choose Vidic, based on his potential and age. Vidic has many more years to come, and might even be better than Stam when all is said and done.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Footballing brain - Rio

Bravery - Vidic

Size and importance - Stam

I think Stam was more talented also. He never had a world class partner besides him, and we keep the ball from the opposition a lot more than we used to.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Difficult one.

I think Stam had to work harder with Ronny Johnson being his partner most of the time, so I'd be inclined to go with Stam.

I also like Jaap's style of running alongside players and easing them off the ball without committing a foul. He just totally dominated strikers.

Having said that, I remember him making more mistakes than Vidic, but at the moment I would say Stam is still the best amongst the three.

Vidic makes Rio look good if I may be really honest.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Stam

Then Stam again, followed by Stam.

Vidic

Stam twice more

Then Rio, who's closely followed by Jaap Stam.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts