Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
G

·
Rio has been the best defender in the world for the last two years. His composure on the ball, positional awareness and class are second to none. He's also great in the air, a strong tackler and one of the fastest defenders in the game. If we're comparing all round game then there isn't a more complete defender in the world, and I include Vidic in that.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Rio has been the best defender in the world for the last two years. His composure on the ball, positional awareness and class are second to none. He's also great in the air, a strong tackler and one of the fastest defenders in the game. If we're comparing all round game then there isn't a more complete defender in the world, and I include Vidic in that.
I agree, though Nesta was probably ahead of him until the end of 06/07. This season though he hasn't been anywhere near what he was last, due to injuries obviously.

If we can get the Rio of last season to partner the Vidic of this season we will not lose a single match all season IMO, in any competition.

Thats a big statememnt I know, but I feel its true.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Difficult one.

I think Stam had to work harder with Ronny Johnson being his partner most of the time, so I'd be inclined to go with Stam.

I also like Jaap's style of running alongside players and easing them off the ball without committing a foul. He just totally dominated strikers.

Having said that, I remember him making more mistakes than Vidic, but at the moment I would say Stam is still the best amongst the three.

Vidic makes Rio look good if I may be really honest.
Taraaa the point of the century :idea:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I honestly prefer vidic-evans to vidic-rio right now. Let me explain. I believe any great back four needs ONE 'take charge' player in the middle. When Vidic and Evans play together there is no doubt about who that is. When Rio plays with Vidic, that role seems split between the two of them.

For me the comparison comes down to two questions:

- Who would you rather do without, Vidic or Rio? For me, it's simple: Rio.
- Who has been our most valuable player this season? Again, simple: Vidic.

OK Zuco, you can let me have it.

G

·
I honestly prefer vidic-evans to vidic-rio right now. Let me explain. I believe any great back four needs ONE 'take charge' player in the middle. When Vidic and Evans play together there is no doubt about who that is. When Rio plays with Vidic, that role seems split between the two of them.

For me the comparison comes down to two questions:

- Who would you rather do without, Vidic or Rio? For me, it's simple: Rio.
- Who has been our most valuable player this season? Again, simple: Vidic.

OK Zuco, you can let me have it.
You're basing your opinion on this season alone, much of which Rio has been injured. :whistling:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Completely disagree with that. Absolute rubbish. See my other post in this thread.
Oooooh..... zuco no approve.

Well too bad!

What happened two years ago then to bring about Rio's rise?

Let's see....oh oh could it be the arrival of Nemanja Vidic?!?!?

Yes.

I'm a fan of Rio and maybe my statement was a little too strong, but I fully believe that Rio has had to up his game, BECAUSE of Vidic.

Also, Vidic is there to mop up his nonsense and from what I've seen so far, we miss Vidic much more when he's out that we miss Rio when he's out.

Yes, Ferdinand is maybe a better footballer all around, but if you're talking about defending and all the components that make a great defender, Vidic is better IMO.

And that's not rubbish. That's my opinion and I think a fair few might agree with my assessment.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
as i said - rio's main strenght is vidic...

rio's great don't get me wrong but a slightly error-prone unlike vida

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

Well too bad!

Yes.

I'm a fan of Rio and maybe my statement was a little too strong, but I fully believe that Rio has had to up his game, BECAUSE of Vidic.

Also, Vidic is there to mop up his nonsense and from what I've seen so far, we miss Vidic much more when he's out that we miss Rio when he's out.

Yes, Ferdinand is maybe a better footballer all around, but if you're talking about defending and all the components that make a great defender, Vidic is better IMO.

And that's not rubbish. That's my opinion and I think a fair few might agree with my assessment.
Rio is english ofcourse he should get twice the credit

didn't terry got that above carvalho

versus chelsea we missed vidic and we got a draw :rolleyes:
while we missed rio for over a month and won everygame in that month :groupwave reversed:

·
Registered
458 Posts

:thumbsup:Totally AGREE:thumbsup:

G

·

Well too bad!

Yes.

Actually no, Vidic arrived three years ago and was a very average defender by all accounts. He's become a great defender by playing alongside the best defender in the world.

Wrong, for the reason given above.

What exactly are you basing this on? Has Vidic missed a long spell of football recently? No, he missed one game unless I'm mistaken, and Evans had to play alongside Rio who'd just come back from injury and in all likelihood is not 100% fit yet. Some people have very short memories on this forum.

Is Vidic fast? Is Vidic good on the ball? Not really, not to the quality of Rio that's for sure. Rio is also equally good at heading, tackling, passing, positioning....basically, everything Vidic can do, Rio can do equally well. And has a few more qualities that Vida doesn't. Rio is the most complete defender in the world, it's crazy that that's even debatable.

Yeah CROoney and Abo :thumbsup:

as i said - rio's main strenght is vidic...

rio's great don't get me wrong but a slightly error-prone unlike vida
Rio hasn't been injury prone for two or three years now CROo. He has completely cut the errors out of his game over the past two seasons. This "lack of concentration" rubbish frustrates me because it's simply not true anymore.

I get the feeling some people just read papers and repeat the opinions printed in them by idiotic journalists, rather than actually watch the game and come up with an opinion of their own.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Vida. Only just. He and Stam would both put their heads in where some people wouldnt put there feet but Vidic I think JUST shades it.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Zuco. Equally good at heading? Vidic attacks every ball and wins most of them. Rio doesnt do that. I'm not slagging off Rio. He is fantastic at what he does and Vida is fantastic at what he does but Vida is definately better at heading

G

·
Zuco. Equally good at heading? Vidic attacks every ball and wins most of them. Rio doesnt do that. I'm not slagging off Rio. He is fantastic at what he does and Vida is fantastic at what he does but Vida is definately better at heading
Every long ball that comes Rio's way gets dealt with with, with no fuss. Just because he doesn't get into situations where he has to put his face into a boot, it doesn't mean he's worse.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
I have to go with 16-k-16 here. Vidic is better at heading than Rio. Remember how he completely neutralized Drogba at the UCL? While Rio's better at dealing with pacey strikers like Torres, Vidic is better at dealing with aerial and physical threats.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
For me it would be Vidic by some distance
He's an absolute monster in defence, and can shake any attacker to his core

Aerially too he dominates as we have seen throughout the season

I liked Jaap Stam while he was here, but I think Vidic pips him

Vidic, Stam, Rio

·
Registered
364 Posts
Vidic is quickly becoming one of my favourite footballers of all time, so I'm going with him. Followed fairly closely by Stam, in turn followed not at all closely by Rio.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts