Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David James admits that he is relishing the chance to surpass the Premier League appearance record.

Apart from a brief spell out of the top flight with West Ham, James has spent almost 16 years plying his trade at the highest level with Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man City and Portsmouth.

As a result, the England international now stands on 535 games in the Premier League, and is poised to overtake Gary Speed's milestone at the weekend - an achievement that is not lost on the 38-year-old.

"The record means a hell of a lot to me," James told The Sun.

"Every time Gary Speed has pulled on a shirt in recent seasons the lads have given me a bit of stick, saying: 'You'll have to go for another game... and another one'. It's the same when Ryan Giggs plays.

"I have been there from the first Premiership game and the first live Sky game, which I think was Liverpool against Forest in 1992.

"I am playing in the best domestic league in the world, so if you can play in it for 15 or 16 years, that must say something."
Pompey future

With the turmoil embroiling James' employers Portsmouth at the moment, many expect that the keeper may be one of the first out the door if the problems worsen.

But despite the uncertainty, James insists that he still owes a lot to the South Coast club and is hopeful of remaining at Fratton Park for the foreseeable future.

"As things stand, I have another couple of years with Portsmouth and I hope to go on as long as I can," he added.

"When I signed for Pompey, I was looking at Championship options as well.

"Portsmouth gave me the opportunity to be in the Premier League and that's why I'm still playing for England, too."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_4919477,00.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
He has been fantastic at times and equally shocking at other time. He could have been England's number for a long time had he been consistent enough. Still it is a great achievement and he congrats to the man.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
James the story of the 536th appearances

David James made his Premier League debut for Liverpool against Nottingham Foreston on the first day of the 1992/93 season, in the first match televised by Sky Sports

Throughout an otherwise successful career, James has been prone to making occasional high-profile errors in front of goal

After making 214 appearances for Liverpool, James moved to Aston Villa for a fee of £1.8m in 1999

James and Villa suffered FA Cup final heartbreak in 2000, losing to Chelsea by a single goal

Having impressed over two seasons at Villa, James joined West Ham United in 2001 for a fee of £3.5m

James spent several months on the sidelines after suffering a knee injury and eventually made his debut for the Hammers in November 2001. The club got relegated at the end of the season, with James spending the 2002/03 term in the Championship

In the summer of 2003, James spent some time with American football's Miami Dolphins, studying their training and conditioning techniques

one highlight of his time with City was when he as drafted in midway through a match to play as an emergency striker in the 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough in the 2004/05 season

James returned to the top-flight in January 2004, joining Manchester City for an undisclosed fee

Throughout his career, James has wowed crowds, making an endless number of impressive saves​

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

In August 2006, James joined Portsmouth for a fee of £1.2m with yet another new hairstyle

James enjoyed FA Cup glory at the end of the 2007/08 season, as Pompey beat Cardiff in the final at Wembley

The 39-year-old broke the Premier League appearance record on 14th February 2009. He marked his 536th match with a clean sheet in the 2-0 win against Manchester City​

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fair play James!! Just overtook Speed's record. Pity Giggs had those hamstring
injuries over the years cos otherwise he would be ahead.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Giggs can't have all the record in the Premier League ;) so congratulations to David James on that. That is a hell lot of appearences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fair play to him. Giggs has 513, is that right? I guess it is a lot easier for a goalkeeper to reach that sort of landmark than an outfield player.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
James's joy at record

Portsmouth keeper David James was celebrating after breaking the Premier League appearances record.

The 38-year-old made his 536th Premier League appearance in Portsmouth's 2-0 win against Manchester City on Saturday to overtake Gary Speed.

"I'd like to extend the record," said James. "It's about playing in the best league in the world and enjoying it.

"To have a longevity record in the best league in the world is a big plus."

fine save

James made one fine save late on against City and Portsmouth caretaker manager Paul Hart heaped praise on the stopper.

"He's fantastic. To break that record and then pull off that magnificent save at the end makes it a fantastic day for him," said Hart. "I think that showed how much resolve there was in the team to keep that clean sheet."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts