Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Not a fan of current United first team
898 Posts
I haven't seen much of Ward-Prowse playing club football but from what I've seen him playing in England shirt, there are many players that I will put in front of him for the squad to Brazil. Will Hughes is better. Barkley,Morrison and Powell are also better but different type of players anyway.

I should watch him more often then. In fact in those U20 WCs match even our Larnell Cole looks better than him.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Pressure doesn't seem to effect him either. He has an amazing amount of talent, he could easily be a stand out player similarly to what Ozil was in 2010.
His talent is unquestionable. He is one of the most talented British footballers out there right now... I can't think of many better than him talent wise...
Hope he continues to have a great season...

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
LOL. Well that says everything about England doesn't it. In fact I rather liken the way England play to the way United play. I can't see TC and Welbeck going to Brazil, but Hodgson may have the same belief/philosphy that Moyes has, if they are good enough to play for United then they must be world class, so who knows.
Welbeck has been a regular starter under Hodgson since he took over last year.

He'll be going to be Brazil.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm not saying I think he's a great player. I'm not saying I think he should go to the world cup. But who's better than Cleverley, really?
Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Wilshere, Lallana, Milner, Barkley, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Parker, Osman, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Hughes, Morrison, Lingard, Powell, Carroll, Shelvey, McEachran, Barry, Livermore, Huddlestone and Noble.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Wilshere, Lallana, Milner, Barkley, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Parker, Osman, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Hughes, Morrison, Lingard, Powell, Carroll, Shelvey, McEachran, Barry, Livermore, Huddlestone and Noble.
  1. Half those players aren't even central midfielders!!! Most are attacking midfielders or even wingers.
  2. A lot of those players are unproven at premiership level. Good under-21 players for England, but that's potential, not ability. They're not better than Cleverley yet. Powell, Lingard, for instance. And I am not sure their best positions are actually at CM. Powell seems more suited to fit the bill of a number 9, in all honesty... which explains partly his success at Crewe, as he was essentially a striker when we bought him!
  3. Some of the names you mention are -past it-. I stress again, I just don't believe Gerrard or Lampard are the players they were once upon a time, and if England are going to build for future success, they can't rely on them any more and should get rid sooner rather than later. They should be building for the future, not bringing in the likes of Gareth Barry in his twilight years to stumble along through games.
  4. Some of the names you write are just barely good enough to play prem football let along for England. Huddlestone? Shelvey? Really???
Anyway. I've not seen enough of Ward-Prowse to decide if he'd make it at a bigger club but I will keep an eye out. Southampton have been fantastic to watch and their players are all deservedly getting praised right now. Lallana in particular is a player I like, again more a number 10/attacking mid, but he has played in centre mid before so I'd like to see more of him there too!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
  1. Half those players aren't even central midfielders!!! Most are attacking midfielders or even wingers. I do like Lallana though and hope he gets more game time, I'd certainly have him ahead of Cleverley - but he's not an orthodox central midfielder.
  2. A lot of those players are unproven at premiership level. Good under-21 players for England, but that's potential, not ability. They're not better than Cleverley yet. Powell, Lingard, for instance. And I am not sure their best positions are actually at CM. Powell seems more suited to fit the bill of a number 9, in all honesty... which explains partly his success at Crewe, as he was essentially a striker when we bought him!
  3. Some of the names you mention are -past it-. I stress again, I just don't believe Gerrard or Lampard are the players they were once upon a time, and if England are going to build for future success, they can't rely on them any more and should get rid sooner rather than later.
  4. Some of the names you write are just barely good enough to play prem football let along for England. Huddlestone? Shelvey? Really???
1. In most of the games he's played for England, Cleverley has played as the most advanced midfielder, so comparisons with Lallana, Barkley and co are fair game. And of the players I listed, only Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain would be described as wingers, both of whom can and have played in the middle to greater effect than Cleverley.
2. Yeah, but we can obviously see Powell and Hughes, for example, are more talented than Cleverley. I don't think many would argue with that.
3. Gerrard and Lampard are still superior to Cleverley, hence should be picked over him for the World Cup. Age is immaterial.
4. I don't think Huddlestone nor Shelvey are good enough for England, but they are better than Cleverley.

·
Moyes Out
754 Posts
  1. Half those players aren't even central midfielders!!! Most are attacking midfielders or even wingers.
  3. Some of the names you mention are -past it-. I stress again, I just don't believe Gerrard or Lampard are the players they were once upon a time, and if England are going to build for future success, they can't rely on them any more and should get rid sooner rather than later. They should be building for the future, not bringing in the likes of Gareth Barry in his twilight years to stumble along through games.
Anyway. I've not seen enough of Ward-Prowse to decide if he'd make it at a bigger club but I will keep an eye out. Southampton have been fantastic to watch and their players are all deservedly getting praised right now. Lallana in particular is a player I like, again more a number 10/attacking mid, but he has played in centre mid before so I'd like to see more of him there too!
Sorry Gaz you said "I cant name a better England midfielder than Cleverley". Gerrard and Lampard may be getting on but both are better than Cleverley.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
The worst thing is, I genuinely can't name a better English midfielder than Tom Cleverley.

I can't.

I mean.... Gerrard has declined massively (despite what the scousers say, he's shit now - he was all about power and box to box running and he can't do that anymore), Lampard is the same, Jordan Henderson is utter garbage...

Cleverley has at least shown the odd moment of class for England and United.

I'm not saying I think he's a great player. I'm not saying I think he should go to the world cup. But who's better than Cleverley, really?
Seriously? :facepalm

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
Ravel Morrison.
That guy has to go to the WC, I'd ask for Hodgson's head if he doesn't travel with the team to Brazil.
I don't know. When it comes to things like that with Ravel, I don't know, you have to keep his feet firmly on the ground. Putting him in a World Cup squad would be a huge risk. (At the moment)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts