Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell has acknowledged his interest in the vacant Republic of Ireland job.
Jewell has confirmed that he had informal talks with former Republic boss John Giles who is believed to be sounding out candidates for the role.

Giles said that he had held discussions with Jewell but he would not confirm that he is working on behalf of the Football Association of Ireland.

"I'm certainly not ruling it out. I am thinking about it," said Jewell.

Giles added that he had "to treat this situation with confidentiality".

Jewell insisted that his meeting with Giles on Thursday had not been "a formal interview".

Giles' help appears to have been enlisted by the FAI in their search for Steve Staunton's successor following the former defender's recent departure.

We had a great chat about football in general and of course he mentioned the Irish job situation

Former Wigan boss Jewell has been linked with the post along with several other managers including Graeme Souness, Terry Venables, Gerard Houllier, David O'Leary and Philippe Troussier.

Jewell, 43, said: "Johnny Giles asked to see me and I went to meet him.

"We had a great chat about football in general and of course he mentioned the Irish job situation, but it wasn't an interview. I'm flattered by the interest.

The FAI concurred with Jewell's insistence the meeting was informal.

A spokesman said: "No approach has been made by the FAI to a potential manager."

Former Wigan boss Jewell opted not to return to the JJB Stadium recently and he has also played down talk of a move to Preston, who sacked Paul Simpson this week.

"I have not heard from Preston. But Preston is a fantastic club and I would never say no to speaking to anyone," he told The Independent.

"It's all right being mentioned for jobs such as the one at Preston but you have to be offered it. I don't take much notice of what has been said.

"It doesn't have much significance unless the chairman makes that phone call. I would like to work in the Premier League, yes, but I am not ruling myself out of any job."

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
snap him up ASAP!!!!!! for once it looks like the FAI will get a real manager in!

I've always said we need a manager who has proved he can over achieve with a team that has a few exceptional players and the rest average to good players cos thats what we've got!!

Martin O'Neill, George Burley, Gordon Strachan, Sam Alardyce, Steve Coppel are examples of managers who have proved this!

Paul Jewell is of the same mould and I and any1 in Ireland who knows anything about football would v much welcome Jewell!!!!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
eoininho said:
snap him up ASAP!!!!!! for once it looks like the FAI will get a real manager in!

I've always said we need a manager who has proved he can over achieve with a team that has a few exceptional players and the rest average to good players cos thats what we've got!!

Martin O'Neill, George Burley, Gordon Strachan, Sam Alardyce, Steve Coppel are examples of managers who have proved this!

Paul Jewell is of the same mould and I and any1 in Ireland who knows anything about football would v much welcome Jewell!!!!
Great post mate. Says it all really.
If we could get a young, strong, no nonsense manager who can handle the media then we should go for it. He turned down a return to Wigan so hopefully he can come and manage Ireland. The Irish job is an attractive job despite what people think. We have quality players like Given, Dunne, Duff, Keane, Reid. Great pros like OShea, Finnan, Kilbane and Carsley and up and coming youngsters like McShane, Hunt, Doyle, McGeady and Long. The potential is there along with some of the best fans in the world. We just need some guidance and fire in the belly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts