1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sky Sports

Jewell leaves Derby County
Hutchings to take charge on temporary basis

Derby County have revealed that Paul Jewell has resigned from his position as manager.

The announcement follows the Rams' 1-0 defeat at home by Ipswich Town on Sunday, with the club now just five points above the relegation zone.

Jewell took over at Pride Park in November 2007 but endured a difficult debut term at the helm as the club suffered demotion from the Premier League with a record low points total.

This campaign, Derby have managed seven wins from their opening 26 league matches, and the recent setback to Ipswich was met by a chorus of boos by supporters.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Derby County can confirm today that the club has parted company with manager Paul Jewell with immediate effect.

"Paul has taken the decision to leave his role as he believes it is in the best interests of the club, and feels that he is no longer in a position to take the club forward.

"It is with great regret that we accept this decision and Derby County would like to put on record its thanks to Paul Jewell for his effort and commitment over the last 12 months.

"Assistant manager Chris Hutchings will take charge of the club with immediate effect and will lead the team for the next two fixtures, away to Forest Green Rovers in the FA Cup and at home to Manchester United in the Carling Cup semi-final."

===================================================

Well, I know not many people on here will care, but I thought it would be interesting seeing as we're playing them in the Carling Cup semi's ;)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sky Sports

Derby rule out Davies return
Chairman hints at Hutchings appointment

Davies: No Pride Park return

Derby County chairman Adam Pearson has ruled out bringing Billy Davies back to Pride Park as manager.

It was announced on Monday that Paul Jewell had resigned from his position following the club's 1-0 Championship defeat by Ipswich Town.

Davies, who led the Rams to the Premier League in 2007, had been mentioned as a potential candidate for the vacant role, but Pearson has quelled the link.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think Billy's record at Championship level stands the test of time against anybody's. But we are looking at pastures new.

"I don't think Billy would want to consider himself for the role. I don't think you can go back in football. I think you have to go forward."

Hutchings

Jewell's former assistant manager, Chris Hutchings, is due to take the reins on a temporary basis and Pearson confirmed he is in the running to land the position permanently.

Pearson continued: "I would like him to be at the helm for as long as possible. If he can get results and performances then he obviously puts himself in the frame.

"If we do need other options then we can explore them properly. Hopefully Chris will be one of those options."

Pearson praised Jewell for his work at the club and insisted that there were no plans afoot to sack the former Wigan Athletic boss.

Axed

He said: "He certainly wouldn't have been pushed last night, we would have kept going. He is gutted about leaving.

"It is disappointing. I think Paul felt that it was probably in the best interest of everybody if the club went in a different direction and tried to get some fresh impetus in.

"Paul has had the club's best interest at heart. It has been a long year and I think it has taken its toll. We just have to move forward without him.

"I do not regret giving him the job. We have enjoyed working together and he is a tremendous manager."

·
Registered
14 Posts
I could see it coming to be honest, I follow the Championship in great detail and he's not really done alot for them, show's he cares about the club, in terms of that he didn't wait to be sacked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts