Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am new in here forum so hopefully I made this thread to right place. Also I hope I don`t have to explain him importance.

But anyway I need some information about him for personal use.

1)Date of birth
2)Date of death
3)some photo about him (quality doesn`t matter ofcourse)
4) Year, when he came United
5) Coaching/player career before United era

Thank You!

·
Your arms are just too short to box with God
30,116 Posts
Well I am new in here forum so hopefully I made this thread to right place. Also I hope I don`t have to explain him importance.

1)Date of birth
2)Date of death

Thank You!
Have you heard of this?:

S

·
0 Posts

1)Date of birth...1894.No exact date known
2)Date of death. 1975, No date but I'm sure I remember him dying in the summer of 75.
4) Year, when he came United. He was appointed in July 1950 after the death of chief scout Louis Rocca
5) Coaching/player career before United era.

Thank You!
Answered some in bold. (y)
I've got a great book called "Standing on the shoulders of giants. A cultural analysis of Mancherster United". There is quite a lot of pages about Joe Armstrong in it. Well worth reading if you can get hold of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

1)Date of birth
2)Date of death

Thank You!
Feel free to contact me, Joe was my Grandfather!

In answer to your questions:
1) 1894
2) 1975
3) Try Google!
4) 1945 or 1948 ..
5) In the 1920s, Joe ran a club in the Levenshulme area of Manchester. He sold a player to Aston Villa & was asked by Peter Hodge to do some scouting for Manchester City. While Joe was scouting for City he met a young Matt Busby, who had just signed for them. This friendship lead to Busby appointing him at United when he took over after the war. Though from what I know, Joe did not officially get the title "Chief Scout" until 1954 (when he turned 60 & retired from his day job as a GPO engineer!) when he went full-time at United. Though I suppose in those days roles were more fluid than they are now, I do know that if you phoned Old Trafford in the week during the 50s it was likely to be answered by Joe. As Louis Rocca, previous Chief Scout, was still around in 1945, I imagine Joe joined just to do some scouting and general work for the club supporting Matt Busby & working closely with Jimmy Murphy. If you consider the timeline, he only officially went full time at the club in 1954, but by then had already spotted & signed many of the Busby Babes, most famously Bobby Charlton in 1953. I was only recently told that apparently Murphy wasn't convinced about Eddie Colman, but Joe convinced Matt he was good enough.

Joe was older than both Busby and Murphy and a native Mancunian (born in Gorton) and not one for being noticed, hence he is often just missed out of history. The last time I went to the museum there was 1 mention of him, which is scandalous. He was recently completely excluded from a fictional account of Jimmy Murphy after Munich and completely missed from the BBC Drama about Munich (the late Sandy Busby was critical of this).
I have a letter in my possession to him, from Jimmy, saying he would never been able to keep things going at United after Munich without his help & support. He also played a part when Busby first came to United, as Busby stayed in his house in Heaton Chapel until he got a place sorted.

As an interesting aside, my father (Joe's son), actually played for the Colts (youth team) in 1943/44. Unfortunately, he didn't progress any further playing, but he did go on to scout for United as well, only retiring recently (Jan 2016!) after over 50 years service.

Joe Armstrong snr. appears in Bobby Charlton's This is Your Life from 1969, at about 9m:30s in:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts