Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aston Villa striker John Carew has nicknamed Wayne Rooney "Braveheart" and told new England coach Fabio Capello the Manchester United star will be "worth his weight in gold" in his efforts to bring glory to the nation.

Capello witnessed his first live action in England since replacing Steve McClaren when watching United gain a 2-0 win at Villa Park in an FA Cup third-round tie on Saturday.

But, although there were nine English players in the two starting line-ups, it was the performance of Rooney as a 70th-minute substitute that would have given Capello the most encouragement.

He played a part in the build-up to the opening goal from Cristiano Ronaldo and, after missing one gilt-edged chance, scored the second with a typically deadly finish.

Carew, who played under Capello at Roma, said: "Rooney is a great player and the way he moves and runs is impressive. He created two or three chances and he did a 40 or 50-yard sprint to get into the box for the goal.

"A player like that is worth his weight in gold. He missed one chance but his run from midfield was fantastic and not many forwards would even think about doing that. He got into a good position and on the goal he did it again.

"They should call Rooney 'Braveheart' or something like that because he is playing with a big heart.

"The English should be proud of him because they have a great player there with a great future and he is the kind of player who would fit in any team in the world.

"I am sure Fabio Capello will look to build his team around Rooney because he has been dealing with big teams and players before."

Carew also urged Capello not to judge Villa's exciting young duo Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young purely on their performance against United when they both had quiet games by their own high standards.

Villa skipper Gareth Barry had suggested before the game that knowledge of Capello's presence may put extra pressure on young players trying to impress the Italian.

Carew said: "Capello should not judge people like Gabby and Ashley on that one game, absolutely not. They are great players and I'm sure he will also watch some videos of them in the earlier matches.

"Personally I didn't think they did that bad. You never know if they were nervous but still I think their performances were not too bad.

"When you know Mr Capello is in the stands, maybe you can get a bit nervous but I don't think that was a problem.

"He should absolutely come here and look at the Villa players because they have been really impressive and done well and will continue to do that."

Agbonlahor insisted: "Was I worried about Capello being in the stands? No, I wasn't thinking about that at all."

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Definitely Rooney will play a key role in Capellos plans.

He is Englands best player and most important imo.

No other english striker comes even close to him.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keano4taoiseach said:
Definitely Rooney will play a key role in Capellos plans.

He is Englands best player and most important imo.

No other english striker comes even close to him.
Yeah,but with Steven Gerrard in England too,the Scousers might disagree!:D :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Yeah,but with Steven Gerrard in England too,the Scousers might disagree!:D :p
Well, I suppose you cannot discard Gerard,

The two of them are fantastic players who show great spirit and desire but also have the skill and ability.

If only England had more players like Rooney and Gerard...;)

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Caling Rooney "Braveheart" is an insult to a young ENGLISHMAN!! Braveheart is a fictionious rendering of an old Scottish story about a so called hero of their times, a Hollywood "have a go" at the english. Gerrard cannot be compared alongside Rooney, Gerrard is a lying cheat.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Red Devil said:
Caling Rooney "Braveheart" is an insult to a young ENGLISHMAN!! Braveheart is a fictionious rendering of an old Scottish story about a so called hero of their times, a Hollywood "have a go" at the english. Gerrard cannot be compared alongside Rooney, Gerrard is a lying cheat.
And it associates Rooney with Mel Gibson, which is even worse!!!!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts