Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is little doubt than sheasy is a fantastic all rounder, and probably the reason he has notched up so many games in a red shirt- from goalie to striker, centre back to right back the guy is great to have in the squad and must be our ultimite utility player. i see this as a bonus for the squad and something that other top teams lack as the guy is always dependable without necessarily being fantastic in any given slot- jack of all trades- master of none??

but on a personal note has it been an advantage for him or held him back from securing a regular starting place in one given position? i think his adaptability has made up for any deficiencies in his game and ensured that every season he has had a part to play somewhere on the field either in small games or big ones. however although he has had a run in the team before and had a number of games at a certain position like now at right back- if he applied himself and the boss saw him say as a right back and played him there would it make him a better player in ONE position rather than a good player ( mr dependable) all over the park.

if he knew he was going to be right back for the rest of the season surely his game would improve there and he might make a case for becoming a regular first teamer rather than soemone who comes in now and again here and there to do a job. the only argument against this is that if you think he wouldn't be up to it and if he was used soley as a right back or central defender that he wouldn't be good enough to dislodge the players already in that position.

personally think his versatility has ben fantastic for us and probably ensured so many appearances and his future as a red, but think the guy must somewhere love to be able to know his name would be on the team sheet every week no matter who is fit and available.

·
Registered
542 Posts
biggest liability.

he does not support ronaldo with the pace he desires.

he may be solid in some games but when the nerves get to him hes shakey. theres way better right back we could have. right back isnt even his game!

we look most threatering on the left with evra.... if we had rafael on right back there would be way more pace and more agile to our game. we could cut defensives open easier. like we couldnt to at liverpool.

my point is he should not be playing every single game like a part of the first 11. he shuldbe thre for back ups to put it cold blooded

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Its an issue thats been talked about in Ireland for the last few years. He's a good pro and solid peformer . But its as you said Scottsati, the 'Jack of all trades' never guarantees regular club football.

He's found a home tho with the national team at CB and has been doing a good job of it

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think its a real massive quality for us to have. There would be so many times when it would seem like we're in a real injury crisis if he weren't there. Like he's essentially our 4th choice right back, yet he has had so many games there through injuries to other defenders. It doesn't matter if he's not the best player on the park when he comes on, he always steps in, settles quickly into whatever position he is in, does a reliable job and then waits for his next opportunity. I think he's great for us honestly.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Its his biggest asset, if he couldn't play in the positions he can i honestly don't think he would still be at united

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Its his biggest asset in my opinion, as nearly all of our players are specified to play in just one position, an so are the majority of the players around the world, but players like him, you won`t find that much. He has been proved to be very useful on many occasions. His versatility is the reason why he is still at United, because he lacks class yet he`s jack of all trades, master of none, something useful to every team.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its his biggest asset in my opinion, as nearly all of our players are specified to play in just one position, an so are the majority of the players around the world, but players like him, you won`t find that much. He has been proved to be very useful on many occasions. His versatility is the reason why he is still at United, because he lacks class yet he`s jack of all trades, master of none, something useful to every team.

i think big john is underrated at united and on ur point he has proven his worth to the club in many a position he might not be world class but as a jack of all trades i dont think there are to many better than him,and i bet the majority of clubs in the prem would love to have him in there squads,i remember when he nutmegged figo in the champions league a few years back we all thought then that he was gonna be great so in a way its a drawback but still i bet fergie wouldnt sell him he is a quality squad player

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would like to see him given a chance in one role for like the best part of a season and see if he could claim the shirt and make it his own, we put players in like rafael and let him play one position and he leans the game....even at the age sheasy is with so many games here and there under his belt i think playing one place would improve his game there immensely, i do agree thoug shifting the quality players ahead of him would be a major ask.

to be fair unlike other players he does seem happy to play the role he does and hasnt made any noises about first team football all the time or i'm off and in the long term he is going to have played so many games, won so many honours you cant really argue with that.

i always look at it like he could go to bolton or wigan and be a first team regular......wouldn't win anything mind and wouldn't get as much exposure as he does in a red shirt now and then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts