Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 17-year-old midfielder for Charlton name Jonjo Shelvey, I'm sure some of you have heard of him, he is a midfielder who broke into the first team just after he became 16, he has represented England at youth levels and all around looks very impressive. He is a box to box player, who has class on the ball, can pick a pass, tackles with force and has chipped in with a couple of goals. One of England best young prospects.

Anyway one of the national papers reported today that, after Charlton have been relegated, they have put a £3m price tag on him - BBC sport said it was The Sun but I can't find the article on The Sun website. Was wondering if any of you think he might be a good buy for us. I think he would be, especially at that price, and with the possiblity of limitations on foreign players coming in I think we would be wise to snap him up. However the draw back for me would be that it would make it harder for the likes of Matt James, Ryan Tunnicliffe, and Ravel Morrison to make the step up with another player in there.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
With a name like that he should be playing for Ireland like a similar CM John-Joe O'Toole of Watford:p :D

I've heard of Shelvey a bit but have not seen too much of him. He has good attributes to be a dynamic CM for sure. Whether he is up to PL standard at the moment is debatable. Maybe a move to another Championship side where he can develop and get some game time might be the best option at the moment.

As you said Richie, we have bright young midfield prospects coming through ourselves, but getting a great English talent is certainly a good thing, especially if things work out for him in the long run

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Ive heard of this kid. Listened to some of the Charlton vs Cardiff game on the radio (last week)
and they were saying that Shelvey was running the show, taking all the corners, free kicks, demanding the ball ALL the time. He was taking shots galore and running all over the place. They said he was like a boy possessed with confidence flowing from him in abundance. This manboybeast could be worth a punt I reckon.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
Haven't heard of him personally but buying English players is a good thing, we have too many young foreigners, don't get me wrong though some of the ones we have are unbelievable

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I've heard of him briefly, so I can't really say how good he is.
But I agree that we should maybe wait, see if he joins a Championship club in the summer and then see how he gets on there. I'm all for signing good young english players aswell but it could also block the chance for others to shine in our Reserves. Saying that if they are good enough they will prove it themselves. We have some good young players in the Reserves and Academy already and our midfield positions are probably our most competitive.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Would need to see more, but if hes already playing Championship football at 16, hes gotta be worth a punt eh?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Ive heard of him and seen him in a couple of football highlight programmes on sky, decent player but too young for united atm imo. He needs to go to a low premier league team or another championship team (now charlton are relegated) to develop then maybe when he's a few years older we'll see but atm he's too young for united i think.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spurs, Newcastle, and Fulham chase Shelvey

Tottenham have reportedly joined the queue of teams keen on Chartlon teenage sensation Jonjo Shelvey.

The 17-year-old looked certain to leave The Valley - even before the club's relegation to League One - and big things are expected of the midfielder.

Newcastle and Fulham are already thought to have been tracking him, but Tottenham may be a more attactive suitor to the Romford-born players.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has already sent his assistant Kevin Bond to check on Shelvey, according to the Daily Mirror.

Last season, the box-to-box midfielder became Charlton's youngest player when he appeared against Barnsley at Oakwell aged 16 years and 59 days.

Shelvey is thought to be the best graduate from the Charlton academy since Scott Parker.

He would join fellow England Under 17 international John Bostock at White Hart Lane, who is one month his junior.

Spurs muscle in on Newcastle and Fulham's big to sign Charlton's Shelvey | Mail Online

To be honest, I think he'd be better off going to a lower Premiership team like Fulham first rather than having his development stunted in ours, or Tottenham's, reserves. Going to Spurs has deprived Bostock of first team football, and the same would happen here. At Fulham he could gain valuable experience and then move to us later on for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
for 3million it wouldnt be a bad investment, buy the lad, and loan in em out to peterborough were he can learn his trade in the championship for a year or two, have a feeling too that some other united players cud be goin to peterborough for experience like Matt James, Ryan Tunnicliffe, or James Chester...

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for 3million it wouldnt be a bad investment, buy the lad, and loan in em out to peterborough were he can learn his trade in the championship for a year or two, have a feeling too that some other united players cud be goin to peterborough for experience like Matt James, Ryan Tunnicliffe, or James Chester...
In regards to Chester and James I too think that could be the case, Tunnicliffe won't be going anywhere yet, he's too young.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aparently Sky Sports have said that Chelsea are trying to sign him. Normally I'd say leave it for a couple of years but seeing as another big club are in I think we should get a bid in ahead of them. Cracking prospect and could well turn out to be the Lampard/Gerrard of his generation with the right guidence.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Remember Aaron Ramsey ..........

don't rush into playing kids ......... let them develop at smaller clubs then come prepared to the EPL

·
16,031 Posts
Remember Aaron Ramsey ..........

don't rush into signing kids ......... let them develop at smaller clubs then come prepared to the EPL
Aaron Ramsey has been good for Arsenal when used, and still looks an amazing prospect...

An example you could have given was Gareth Bale, but both Ramsey and Walcott have massive futures at the Gooners...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Aaron Ramsey has been good for Arsenal when used, and still looks an amazing prospect...

An example you could have given was Gareth Bale, but both Ramsey and Walcott have massive futures at the Gooners...
Sorry i didn't realise i wrote signing instead of playing ........

anyway my point was rushing kids to play in the top team ......... aaron ramsey didn't do anything mate , he had alright games against weak opposition, but anyway the problem with not loaning them out is they don't get regular football ........ which hits their development ........

teams should always loan out kids to get experience elsewhere ......... if they are good enough to make 1st team CONSISTENTLY then so be it ........ but gettin kids and playing them 6 or 7 times all season is not good

·
16,031 Posts
Sorry i didn't realise i wrote signing instead of playing ........

anyway my point was rushing kids to play in the top team ......... aaron ramsey didn't do anything mate , he had alright games against weak opposition, but anyway the problem with not loaning them out is they don't get regular football ........ which hits their development ........

teams should always loan out kids to get experience elsewhere ......... if they are good enough to make 1st team CONSISTENTLY then so be it ........ but gettin kids and playing them 6 or 7 times all season is not good
But if we don't buy em young, we get dragged into silly bidding wars and the fees rise very sharply...

Yeah i see your point, and loaning out is definitely a good thing for both sides...

·
Registered
492 Posts
But if we don't buy em young, we get dragged into silly bidding wars and the fees rise very sharply...

Yeah i see your point, and loaning out is definitely a good thing for both sides...
what do u think about tosic mate ......... i have a feeling if we buy a winger we should loan him out to a EPL side and see how he does .......... he clearly shouldn't be playing for the reseves

·
16,031 Posts
what do u think about tosic mate ......... i have a feeling if we buy a winger we should loan him out to a EPL side and see how he does .......... he clearly shouldn't be playing for the reseves
I think Tosic has more potential than people are giving him credit for, the lad does a good job, can track back and can hit a wicked free-kick...

Him and Nani should be vying for that left wing spot, if they stepped it up a little...

Hopefully with Nani it was just a case of "second season syndrome"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts