Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil said:
There is a clause, is there not, in his contract. When contract has 2 years to run he can move for £12m ???
good lord I hope not! Never heard that before and find it hard to believe united wouldve signed under those terms!!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It's that new law in Europe saying that after 2 years (I believe) a player can pay the club the remaining part of his contract and sign for another team. That's why player transfers are going down, but the contracts are going to go up.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Fergaiste said:
says who??? the lad still needs to prove himself against decent opposition superior to newcastle. i am sick to the back teeth of hype merchants on sky and the bbc talking this chap up.Till he proves himself against quality opposition in the champions league or the big four teams he isnt within an asses roar of the world's best player status.He has consistently failed to produce against these teams and the only reason he has scored 29 goals is because (a) he thrives against mediocre teams and (b) he takes twice as many shots as anybody else as proven by the stats in last years premiership. Can you imagine him unselfishly passing the ball to Nani as rooney did first half today? Football is a team game and whilst Ronny has learned a lot about this concept he still has some way to go as evidenced by wednesday night.

aS regards footballers earning as much as people earn in business I dont believe there is a comparison.They are already earning an obscene amount of money and in a lot of cases thse young men don't know how to handle it . Football is a working class game and till managers realise that by paying footballers any more than they're already on is just further alienating fans who are as important to the club as the players are.I know its a short career but enough is enough greed still comes a poor second to loyalty to a football club.
newcastle poor opposition? yes.....arsenal? no, he plays well against them quite often, he usually gets marked out the games against chelsea but i have seen him play well against liverpool quite a few times though i dont remember him scoring.

Roma weak opposition? Okay so they had a terrible night at united when they conceded 7 goals but that type of thing happens once...united conceded 6 i think it was once at newcastle, it happens.

Sporting lisbon are not exactly a weak team and for ronaldo is was a huge occasion since it was him going back to his old club and in both games he pretty much was MOM...NEVER performs against the big teams?

against lyon he wasnt very good but who was from uniteds team? kaka wasnt that great against arsenal...he is considered the best player in the world...

Ronaldo is not even close to worlds best player in the world status?...i personally do not think he is the best player in the world yet but over the last 2 seasons in terms of consistancy nobody has been better. Then why do i not consider him the best player in the world? Well because like you he say, he hasnt proved himself on the biggest stage SINCE he has had all the hype around him the in the last 18-24 months unlike kaka and messi. However if you're trying to tell me he is nowhere near that status and your constant "hating" on ronaldo as it seems, your either very biased against him for some reason or have something against the kid.

I find your comments about him having the most shots hilarious...is that a bad thing? is it selfish because he is the top scorer in the premier league? is it bad play when he shoots from a distance and goes into the back of the net? and consistantly? yet its okay when he tees up rooney right?...The fact that he scores so many goals is an asset, not selfish play - thats ridicolous.

I wonder how highly you rate rooney? do u consider him close to the best player in the world?

I am sorry but im starting to find your comments on ronaldo rather bemusing, its okay to have conversations but when it comes across as criticism for shooting and scoring alot of goals, i find your comments rather strange.

As for the actual post, is he or any other player in the world worth it? NO

however in the football world is he worth it if you accept it the way it is, ofcourse. He is uniteds biggest asset, we wouldnt have won the league last season without him and without his goals and penetration and attraction of players to him this season, he wouldnt free up other players to play this season either. Without Ronaldo we are a much weaker team there is no doubt. There are games when we play great without ronaldo, such as the arsenal game but then over a season anyone trying to tell me we are better off without him hasnt a clue imo. Its like rooney, as much as he misses many chances for a striker we are a better team with him in it, there is no doubt.

if ronaldo wants to stay at united he will sign a new contract, what he wants will not be a problem because all the biggest clubs in europe will have no problems meeting his demands.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Grif SA said:
It's that new law in Europe saying that after 2 years (I believe) a player can pay the club the remaining part of his contract and sign for another team. That's why player transfers are going down, but the contracts are going to go up.
I thought that was only if the player is over 28 yrs old?

·
Registered
309 Posts
United_OG said:
newcastle poor opposition? ....

United_OG said:
newcastle poor opposition? yes.....arsenal? no, he plays well against them quite often, he usually gets marked out the games against chelsea but i have seen him play well against liverpool quite a few times though i dont remember him scoring.

Ronaldo is not even close to worlds best player in the world status?...i personally do not think he is the best player in the world yet but over the last 2 seasons in terms of consistancy nobody has been better. Then why do i not consider him the best player in the world? Well because like you he say, he hasnt proved himself on the biggest stage SINCE he has had all the hype around him the in the last 18-24 months unlike kaka and messi. However if you're trying to tell me he is nowhere near that status and your constant "hating" on ronaldo as it seems, your either very biased against him for some reason or have something against the kid.

I find your comments about him having the most shots hilarious...is that a bad thing? is it selfish because he is the top scorer in the premier league? is it bad play when he shoots from a distance and goes into the back of the net? and consistantly? yet its okay when he tees up rooney right?...The fact that he scores so many goals is an asset, not selfish play - thats ridicolous.

I wonder how highly you rate rooney? do u consider him close to the best player in the world?

I am sorry but im starting to find your comments on ronaldo rather bemusing, its okay to have conversations but when it comes across as criticism for shooting and scoring alot of goals, i find your comments rather strange.

As for the actual post, is he or any other player in the world worth it? NO

however in the football world is he worth it if you accept it the way it is, ofcourse. He is uniteds biggest asset, we wouldnt have won the league last season without him and without his goals and penetration and attraction of players to him this season, he wouldnt free up other players to play this season either. Without Ronaldo we are a much weaker team there is no doubt. There are games when we play great without ronaldo, such as the arsenal game but then over a season anyone trying to tell me we are better off without him hasnt a clue imo. Its like rooney, as much as he misses many chances for a striker we are a better team with him in it, there is no doubt.

if ronaldo wants to stay at united he will sign a new contract, what he wants will not be a problem because all the biggest clubs in europe will have no problems meeting his demands.

ah yes here we go again back to the drawing board on the ronaldo debate.

may i first of all say that you have a point.i dont know the guy personally but he comes accross as very self-indulgent and perhaps childish at times as illustrated by the derby game. when he came out the week before the city game talking about being the best player in the world I just wanted to throttle the guy. I make no apology for disliking people who have an excessive love of themselves. in saying that he is still young and hopefully he will become a more humble person.

However whatever about my personal feelings towards Ronaldo this does not colour in any way my assessment of the player. Apart from the 4-2 victory when he scored 2 goals and caused havoc against the Gunners he has not produced the goods against them,liverpool or Chelsea. yes he produces the odd cameo like the assist and goal at the emirates in November but that still does not gloss over his performance.He has done well against champions league opposition this season I agree. However please dont tell me Sporting are a decent team. They are one of our feeder clubs for god sakes and sell any player with potential.

Kaka and messi have had off nights of course they have-every player has. However when it really matters they have excelled eg against us last season or Messi against chelsea 2 years ago.

As for the number of shots he takes.maybe I am looking for perfection but would Ronaldo for example have passed to Saha for the fifth goal on saturday the way wazza did despite the latter being on a hat-trick. i dont think so and judging by the amount of times the madeiran got 2 goals and went selfishly looking for a third without success (until we blitzed the Geordies in January) to the detriment of the team shows there is development to be done to his game.

as regards wazza, yes I think he is potentially the best player in the world although injury has hampered his progress both this season and last. He was also injured at the world cup so his progress has not been as swift in terms of profile as Ronaldo's. in saying that we both know that the result would have been different against the bitters if he had been playing and I know I am repeating myself that the stats don't lie-we have yet to lose a game this season when he has been playing. i sincerely believe that he has in common with most of the great players who have ever played the game-Pele,maradona,cruyff,zidane- the concept of being a team player before anything else. HE is united's biggest asset and that is where we fundamentally disagree.I still wouldnt pay him 140k a week and i sometimes wonder is a maximum wage a concept that could be reintroduced.

ronaldo in my eyes has made great strides over the last 18 months but has to still find that balance between going for a shot and passing the ball .Ok we would not have won the league without him but the same could be said about Rooney,scholes,Giggs, Vidic and saha( in the first half of the season).

i would dearly love Ronaldo to score the winner on the champions league final this year and I will be celebrating as much as anyone.i will humbly(there's that word again) embrace every word you say about him but I am a doubting thomas for now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i think the salaries in football are abit extreme, and the transfer fees have shot up aswell i think personaly it was all down to muriniho that there has been a big increase in a short space of time for buying essien ' the £15m sub' i think the media reffered to him as.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
worrioz said:
i think the salaries in football are abit extreme, and the transfer fees have shot up aswell i think personaly it was all down to muriniho that there has been a big increase in a short space of time for buying essien ' the £15m sub' i think the media reffered to him as.
Essien cost £24m and was rarely a sub!

·
Registered
14 Posts
eoininho said:
Essien cost £24m and was rarely a sub!
well £24m and he was regulary a sub when he first came to chelsea, as he was part of the squad rotation system that muriniho had in place and im just pointing out what the media said

·
Registered
114 Posts
How can you score against most teams in the league and still have people doubt you. Its not against the easy teams. The gooners away is not easy. If he played for Barrca or Real he would be named the best in the world.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
worrioz said:
well £24m and he was regulary a sub when he first came to chelsea, as he was part of the squad rotation system that muriniho had in place and im just pointing out what the media said
I'll have to take your word for it but I never remember him having difficulty getting into the team, he displaced Tiago in the midield and played nealry every game when he joined first. Mourinho never really rotated his squad that heavily either...

donthered said:
How can you score against most teams in the league and still have people doubt you. Its not against the easy teams. The gooners away is not easy. If he played for Barrca or Real he would be named the best in the world.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! Messi And Kaka aren't anywhere near as consistent as Ronaldo! they do tend to show up in big European games which Ronaldo sometimes has trouble in doin cos he has probably two ppl markin him!

But overall Ronaldo is the most valuable player in the world! If he can perform in the latter stages of the champions league this year which I know he will, He'll be named world player of the year!!!

Fergaiste said:
says who???
SAYS ME!

·
Registered
309 Posts
eoininho said:
I'll have to take your word for it but I never remember him having difficulty getting into the team, he displaced Tiago in the midield and played nealry every game when he joined first. Mourinho never really rotated his squad that heavily either...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! Messi And Kaka aren't anywhere near as consistent as Ronaldo! they do tend to show up in big European games which Ronaldo sometimes has trouble in doin cos he has probably two ppl markin him!

But overall Ronaldo is the most valuable player in the world! If he can perform in the latter stages of the champions league this year which I know he will, He'll be named world player of the year!!!

SAYS ME!

I hope your confidence is not misplaced.Let's hope that even if he is marked by 2 cpeople for the rest of the tournament he still excels as if he is supposedly the best player in the world then he should still be able to perform.rooney was on his own against both gallas and Toure in the cup game and by common consent he took them apart.

As for scoring against the Gooners he may have did that in the Emirates in november but otherwise he was annonymous like he has been consistently in the games that matter with 2 notable exceptions-gooners in jan 05 and roma on march 07.Kaka turns it on for the big occasion which is what people remember not mundane games against newcastle and the like.

in short to be considered the best player in the world is to perform in the latter stages of the champions league or world cup or european championship. I find some people on this forum buy into the whole Sky sports/andy gray hype about Ronaldo without putting into perspective the derth of quality teams in the premiership

If he does the business in Europe over the next 5 months in either or both tournaments I will be the first to acknowledge you eoin and United Og.I pray that i'm wrong!!!;)

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Fergaiste said:
I hope your confidence is not misplaced.Let's hope that even if he is marked by 2 cpeople for the rest of the tournament he still excels as if he is supposedly the best player in the world then he should still be able to perform.rooney was on his own against both gallas and Toure in the cup game and by common consent he took them apart.

As for scoring against the Gooners he may have did that in the Emirates in november but otherwise he was annonymous like he has been consistently in the games that matter with 2 notable exceptions-gooners in jan 05 and roma on march 07.Kaka turns it on for the big occasion which is what people remember not mundane games against newcastle and the like.

in short to be considered the best player in the world is to perform in the latter stages of the champions league or world cup or european championship. I find some people on this forum buy into the whole Sky sports/andy gray hype about Ronaldo without putting into perspective the derth of quality teams in the premiership

If he does the business in Europe over the next 5 months in either or both tournaments I will be the first to acknowledge you eoin and United Og.I pray that i'm wrong!!!;)

as a united fan i hope all our players excell and for me personally he is NOT the best player in the world yet...second or third yes considering his form over the last 2 seasons but as u say he needs to put in a special performance in the latter stages of the CL...and if not then in the euro 08 championships which are coming up.

As for Rooney he did play on his own against arsenal and caused toure problems with his strenght but he should have scored or atleast hit the target with his chances more often. I would go as far as saying rooney is not one of the top ten players in the world currently, potentially as u say, he could be but ronaldo is also potentially the best player in the world and right now he along with messi are behind kaka who gets the award for best player in the world imo for his performances last year.

I would love to see all uniteds players be considered the best in the world and for one cannot stand andy gray or the bbc commentators because all they do is ride whatever is hot right now. Andy gray and BBC minus linekar did not rate ronaldo at all till his performances were so good that they could no longer doubt it and same with andy gray, always thought ronaldo was not a great talent until he proved him wrong.

Like you say though, lets hope you're wrong and he does perform amazing because as united fans we should be behind our players.

pz

·
Registered
309 Posts
United_OG said:
as a united fan i hope all our players excell and for me personally he is NOT the best player in the world yet...second or third yes considering his form over the last 2 seasons but as u say he needs to put in a special performance in the latter stages of the CL...and if not then in the euro 08 championships which are coming up.

As for Rooney he did play on his own against arsenal and caused toure problems with his strenght but he should have scored or atleast hit the target with his chances more often. I would go as far as saying rooney is not one of the top ten players in the world currently, potentially as u say, he could be but ronaldo is also potentially the best player in the world and right now he along with messi are behind kaka who gets the award for best player in the world imo for his performances last year.

I would love to see all uniteds players be considered the best in the world and for one cannot stand andy gray or the bbc commentators because all they do is ride whatever is hot right now. Andy gray and BBC minus linekar did not rate ronaldo at all till his performances were so good that they could no longer doubt it and same with andy gray, always thought ronaldo was not a great talent until he proved him wrong.

Like you say though, lets hope you're wrong and he does perform amazing because as united fans we should be behind our players.

pz
well said mate and this time I agee with 99% of what you say .I see your point about rooney's profligacy in front of goal which i think was due to lack of confidence in finding the net as much as anything.Hopefully the brace he got against Newcastle will have rediscovered his goalden touch. However I still think his overall contribution lifted the team to a new level which they would not have reached without him.

Getting back to the title of the thread say ronaldo does go on and reign supreme over the coming months should he be offered 140k per week? I just cannot get my head around it tbh.It used to be the italian clubs or real madrid or someone that would pay players obscene wages. I really do think clubs should take a step back and ask where is it going to end. Look at Jaap stam a few years ago- he waived his signing on bonus a few years as he was desperate to join United. that to me shows a player committed to the club or players like scholes or giggs who have never once made an issue of holding out for more money when signing contracts for the club. this to me shows loyalty.Maybe I'm naive but surely clubs should hold out for a bit of loyalty to the team they play and the fans that support them.

United once turned their back on shearer because in Fergie's words his wage demands were excessive. Surely it is time for clubs to stick to their principles and rather than surrender to players and their agent's greed and mercenary ways.maybe its my socialist conscience coming out in me but i believe a line should be drawn in the sand as for me personally I would not look for 140 k per week as in keano's words no player is bigger than the club.;)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts