Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roy Keane insists his return to Old Trafford on Saturday will be just like "any other game".

Now in charge at Sunderland, Keane hastily left United in 2005 after 12 years at the club. His testimonial in May 2006 aside, supporters never had the chance to say a proper farewell and the Irishman is expected to receive a hero's welcome when he returns to Manchester to do battle with former boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

But Keane is playing down Saturday's match, despite the media hype surrounding it.

"I'm not expecting any hugs and kisses," he said. "Alex Ferguson will want to beat me and Sunderland as much as anyone else. There won't be a red carpet rolled out for me."

The Black Cats boss also had a sly dig at Sir Alex's infamous obsession with time-keeping.

"People say you have to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes in games like this – try the first 90! And it might be longer if we go by Alex Ferguson's stop-watch!"

Keane did admit he was excited by the prospect of returning to Old Trafford and giving his players a taste of football on the biggest stage.

"I'm glad to be going back and I'm glad to be taking Sunderland there. I'm glad some of my players will get the chance to play at a great stadium against a very, very good team. We will try to approach it in the same way as any other game.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts