Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keane promised huge Cats warchest
Sunderland are poised to hand manager Roy Keane a bumper £50million summer transfer warchest to take the Black Cats onto the next level.

Gerrard Challenges Amateur Players To 'Be More Premier League'
Learn how your team can enjoy a sponsorship package fit for top flight players!
Keane has consolidated the Black Cats position in the Premier League during the 2007/08 season, but is determined to see the club become an established top flight side.

In order to achieve those goals he knows that he will need substantial backing from his board, and that support would appear to be forthcoming.

Keane met with Drumaville consortium members Niall Quinn, Peter Walker and Charlie Chawke on Monday and is believed to have received the reassurances he required.

The Irishman has already spent £44million since the Black Cats booked their place among England's elite back in 2007, but will seemingly be given free reign to splash out again this summer.

"If £50million is what he needs, that's it," Chawke told the Sunderland Echo.

"He can't do it without the money and if that is the money that he needs, well then some way or other he must get it.

"It is just a matter of getting it for him and going about it in a businesslike manner.

"Roy has had a very difficult year with trying to male Premier League players out of Championship ones.

"But he has got in some good players now, and now he will get in more players to consolidate our position in the Premier League next year."

Just shows the strenght of a premier league...when a club like sunderland can afford to spend that much

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
but which player would want to come from a good team to a lower team.....but maybe keane can find stars in the championship....

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Lets all look forward to more ex-United players coming to Sunderland! :D

But, being honest, Keanes record in the transfer market, barring a couple of players, has been pretty awful. He really needs to take more time in deciding who to sign and to use his imagination more, instead of just signing players he has played with.

·
Registered
809 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
Just shows the strenght of a premier league...when a club like sunderland can afford to spend that much
whats that supposed to mean?
hoping for:
evans
ashton
not sure who else...but they better be experienced but not ancient like cole.
i hated what mcCarthy did when he bought league two players and expected them to do well in the prem...but i suppose that was down to that (insert beeps here) bob murray

marty davidson said:
the need quality players which they do not have
we have one or two...
Jones
Gordon
Bardsley(i didnt think he was any good till a few games in)
Reid

also, i would love to see McShane go...and it looks like he and richardson are off to the baggies.... will miss kieran...he has had a great seaon

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Why is there a crying emoticon thing next to the title this is a good thing at least its teams like Sunderland that are lower down and are trying to progress being promised massive sums of cash, at least its not Chelsea/Pool/Arse.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
cjl_safcfan said:
hoping for:
evans
ashton
i hated what mcCarthy did when he bought league two players and expected them to do well in the prem...but i suppose that was down to that (insert beeps here) bob murray

we have one or two...
Jones
Gordon
Reid

also, i would love to see McShane go...and it looks like he and richardson are off to the baggies.... will miss kieran...he has had a great seaon
I don't think McCarthy had any option really, he had no money and no1 wanted to go to them, he did well to be promoted at all that time!!

Ye have a few decent players ye need a strong centre half , some1 like Hyypia (dont laugh) with a lot of Premiership experience would be ideal, give McShane time, he might make it!

I'd like to see more of Stokes too!!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cjl_safcfan said:
hoping for:
evans
ashton

we have one or two...
Jones
Gordon
Reid

no offence mate but would you be surprised if livorno or catania were given that much to spend ?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
manutd004 said:
Lets all look forward to more ex-United players coming to Sunderland! :D

But, being honest, Keanes record in the transfer market, barring a couple of players, has been pretty awful. He really needs to take more time in deciding who to sign and to use his imagination more, instead of just signing players he has played with.

Absolutely agree. For 5million pounds, Sir Alex bought Patrice Evra, for 5million pounds, Keano bought Michael Chopra! : )

And of course Richardson (Lord, please bless Roy Keane as much as possible)

I think they only have two quality players and that's Jones and Gordon.
By all accounts those 2 cost a combined 16mil.

What did he do with the other 28mil?

That's a lot of wasted transfer money. I appreciate it's difficult to lure players to unfancied clubs, but when you don;t do your homework, you get burned. And Roy Keane didn't, because Michael Chopra was a desperate signing.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
£50M?! Holy guacamole!

That's quite a war chest!

With Premier League status assured they should be able to attract better players than they did last summer and it'll be interesting to see how ambitious they are.

Do they strengthen the squad by bringing in 10 £5m players or do they splash the cash on 1 or 2 potential stars and a few squad players?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I know Sunderland's Stadium of Light is one of the biggest in England but seriously, can someone please tell me where they're getting the cash from?

Having high attendances only goes so far. Does Sunderland have rich owners?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
dlan4327 said:
I know Sunderland's Stadium of Light is one of the biggest in England but seriously, can someone please tell me where they're getting the cash from?

Niall Quinn is chairman.

His financial backers are none other than JP McManus and John Magnier if I'm not mistaken.

But imo, Keane needs to totally rebuild. He has signed a lot of bad players, and there is quite a bit of deadwood at the club, and he needs to clear that out first before he signs anymore players,

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
manutd004 said:
But imo, Keane needs to totally rebuild. He has signed a lot of bad players, and there is quite a bit of deadwood at the club, and he needs to clear that out first before he signs anymore players,
I agree but he's already started that process.

Andy Cole, Ian Harte, Stanislav Varga and Stephen Wright were all released as soon as the season finished.

I'm sure we'll see plenty more comings and goings as the summer progresses.

·
Registered
809 Posts
dlan4327 said:

as said before, quinn and a few other people

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
reddwarf said:
I agree but he's already started that process.

Andy Cole, Ian Harte, Stanislav Varga and Stephen Wright were all released as soon as the season finished.

I'm sure we'll see plenty more comings and goings as the summer progresses.
Yeah.

As I said before, he has made quite a few bad signings and should really take more time and re-think how much he should pay.

I mean, although Michael Chopra has scored a few important goals, £5.5m or whatever it was, was far too much. And signing Andy Cole in the first place was stupid imo. Yes, in his prime he was an incredible goalscorer. But his prime was a long time ago and hes past the Premier League imo.

Not only that but he claims that Ross Wallace has the potential to do well in the Premier League, then puts him on the transfer list? I actually think Ross Wallace is a good player and should stay at Sunderland.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
^^^ but Keane knows how all these transfer dealings work.
He wouldnt have lost much money on the likes of Cole and Harte.
He just brought them in as back up and for their experience.
It didnt work out and they move on. Things like that wont bother Roy.

He still has a lot of rebuilding to do but he achieved step 2, which was to
stay in the PL.
He has signed quality players like Reid, Edwards, Bardsley, Jones and Gordon
to name but a few. Obviously they need some more quality but that will
come in time. The funds are there and things are on the up in general.
It will be a slow process but Keane has performed minor miracles already.

Slating his purchases is a bit premature and ignorant.
He likes to try players out and freshen things up a lot and of course he may
get the odd bad apple or make the odd mistake.
But thats his learning curve and he is doing a great job at present.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
you have to spend at that level year in year out to improve . the mistake many clubs make is not investing enough in second season especially if they survive easily in first season up . reading found out and bolton almost did that if you come up and do well bigger teams will be alerted to your players .

look at sidwell for proof or anelka for that matter . rather than offlaod they should bring in more quality .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
haggler said:
you have to spend at that level year in year out to improve . the mistake many clubs make is not investing enough in second season especially if they survive easily in first season up . reading found out and bolton almost did that if you come up and do well bigger teams will be alerted to your players .

look at sidwell for proof or anelka for that matter . rather than offlaod they should bring in more quality .
Good point Hags. Teams also need to give their managers more time as well.
Im not sure how many Prem managers got the sack or 'left by mutual
consent' :rolleyes: but it was A LOT.
Its was sad to see Sidwell rotting in the Chelski reserves
while he could been at Reading helping them out.
Arguably they would have stayed up had he still been their player.
Actually I believe that to be true.

Anyway back to Keane-he has been given time and money so he is blessed in
that respect but I reckon he has what it takes to be a big success at Sunderland.
He certainly has the drive, determination and passion for the challenge.
Thats the least we expect from the great man.:)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Online Speculation

Scott Dann (Coventry City, £?), Owain Fon Williams (Crewe Alexandra, £?), Daniel Fox (Coventry City, £?)

Sporting Life :

Quinton Fortune Western Province United
Scott Sinclair Chelsea
Stephen Ireland Manchester City
Stephen Hunt Reading
Diego Forlan Atletico Madrid :eek: :eek:
Richard Dunne Manchester City
Andrew Surman Southampton
Julio Arca Middlesbrough
Jimmy Bullard Fulham
James Beattie Sheffield Utd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts