Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liverpool close in on Keane deal

Striker Keane is popular with Tottenham Hotspur fans
Liverpool are expected to complete the £18m signing of striker Robbie Keane from Tottenham within 24 hours.

He underwent a medical on Monday and may be able to fly to Spain with the Liverpool squad ahead of Wednesday's friendly against Villarreal.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez completed the final stages of his negotiations with the 28-year-old over the weekend.

The Republic of Ireland star is expected to sign a five-year deal worth about £80,000 per week.

As a child growing up in Dublin, Keane was an avid supporter of the men from Anfield - and Liverpool will now become his sixth club after spells at Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds, before his switch to Tottenham in 2002 for £7m.

Keane had become Benitez's number one summer target over recent weeks, with the need to replace Peter Crouch, who joined Portsmouth earlier this month, seemingly more important than pursuing the complicated and protracted move for Aston Villa's 27-year-old midfielder Gareth Barry.

With the prospect of Xabi Alonso now remaining at Anfield, Liverpool may now decline to respond to Villa manager Martin O'Neill's demand that they make their intentions regarding Barry clear.

Liverpool's response is that Villa have turned down four bids for Barry and the Merseysiders are not prepared to pay £18m for the England international.

Benitez will now be unwilling to allow full-back Steve Finnan, a possible makeweight in a deal for Barry, to leave the club.

That is because new signing Philipp Degen is expected to need surgery on a groin injury that will rule him out of the start of the season.

There is also the likelihood that Spain international Alvaro Arbeloa could return to his home country for £6m in the coming weeks, having expressed such a desire for personal reasons.

All such problems will be put aside by Benitez when he is able to unveil Keane - who married Irish model Claudine Palmer in June - as the new strike partner for Fernando Torres.

Torres cost Liverpool £20.2m when they bought him 12 months ago, and their current second biggest signing is Javier Mascherano, who cost £17m when the deal finally went through in February this year.

The arrival of Keane will take Liverpool's spending to about £32m since the end of last season. They have already drafted in Degen, fellow full-back Andrea Dossena, goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri and teenagers David Ngog and Emmanuel Mendy.

I think this is a great signing. The most underrated player in the Premier League and Torres and Keane could be deadly. If they got a couple of decent wingers, I honestly think they are not far off mounting a challenge. I'm sure most here will disagree. Any thoughts?

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
all i think is keane is rafa's BIG name signing cuz all the rest of his signing's have been some what unknown's, i dnt rate keane he didnt do much to help out spurs bad form last season so narr good luck to him but i dont think he'll be a hit at liverpool

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I hate him anyway, sums up the scousers in my opinion, most members will know from the story i have shared with them :) he's an arrogant tosser and i dont see him being champions league quality.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Hes a good player, but no better imo. He is certainly Premiership quality.

But title-winning and CL quality? Hmmm

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
The arrival of Keane will take Liverpool's spending to about £32m since the end of last season. They have already drafted in Degen, fellow full-back Andrea Dossena, goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri and teenagers David Ngog and Emmanuel Mendy.

Robbie Keane? :eek:
UH we got a Carlos Tevez for £32 M and they got......a bunch of bench warmer. :cool:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Robbie Keane is a great player and anyone who says otherwise is just plain
wrong. Im pretty ****ed off he's going to the Scousers. Ive followed this guys
career since he was young. He is my age and was brought up near mine
where I play my football.

Quality player who has scored goals everywhere he has been. In case people
forgot he has scored goals in the World Cup as well. 3 goals in 4 games and
a last minute equaliser against the mighty Germans. He is also Ireland's record
goalscorer by a LONG way with something like 33 international goals, which
is amazing.

With Torres playing ahead of him he will be a great player for the Pool. Im happy
he will get to play CL football but Im bitter he is going there. Im not too worried
about Pool as title rivals cos they need a lot more than Keane to help them.
But he will get at least 25 goals for Pool this season.

·
23,699 Posts
abojodeh said:
the sun says that liverfool are close to sign him for 20
but its the sun :rolleyes:
Does skysports help?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3877982,00.html

Looks increasingly true from various reports I glanced through.

If so, I can only say that Liverpool will be strengthened for sure (!).

Keane is not a top-scorer material but a proven and persistent scorer everywhere he plys his trade, as Jazz, who could have been as successful as him since they hail from the same proximity, so rightly pointed out. [What happened? :p ;) ]

And he usually combines well with his front partner too. Just look at his records with Berbatov for the past 2 seasons. Yes, even with the moody Berbatov, who is probably not overly excited in Spurs colours due to lack of top class football in the CL which he so craves.

With Torres?! It would be a situation we probably did not anticipate before this.......

Good move by Rafa, I would hate to say.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Robbie Keane is a great player and anyone who says otherwise is just plain
wrong. Im pretty ****ed off he's going to the Scousers. Ive followed this guys
career since he was young. He is my age and was brought up near mine
where I play my football.

Quality player who has scored goals everywhere he has been. In case people
forgot he has scored goals in the World Cup as well. 3 goals in 4 games and
a last minute equaliser against the mighty Germans. He is also Ireland's record
goalscorer by a LONG way with something like 33 international goals, which
is amazing.

With Torres playing ahead of him he will be a great player for the Pool. Im happy
he will get to play CL football but Im bitter he is going there. Im not too worried
about Pool as title rivals cos they need a lot more than Keane to help them.
But he will get at least 25 goals for Pool this season.
Mate you are a genius ;)

You just read my mind.

He is a player I rate really highly and the scousers did a wonderful job in signing him and for a real good price too imo

What I still cannot comprehend is why does Keane get to get his move asap and is at Liverpoo doing a medical and is only worth 20m?

When Berbatov wants to do his dream move its a problem for Spurshttp://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/#. Since its Man United they have to ask for 30m+? How biased can you get! Keane is like the face of Spurs and has done brilliant for so long and they are willing to let him go in a jippy but when they have Berba who wants to move nah they play hard to get :mad:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Even Wikipedia has him down as a Liverpool player already :rolleyes:
edit: someone just edited it out lol. Think some Scousers were getting
ahead of themselves there.

-Versa-it was the injuries mate, Im telling ya and possibly my love of partying ;)
but yes you are right that it was a shrewd buy form Rafa.

-Sparky-thank you mate. I wouldnt quite say 'genius':eek: but cheers anyway lol:D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
his an alright player who deserves a spot in the champions league after his commitmant to the game. he'll do well for pool and sit well with torres but will be in the shaddow of fernando i think. not the type of player to carry a team to a major title but will be ok

other than that i hate the man, think he is a complete ******, said this before in a thread so wont go into detail, alright signing for pool alright player, perfect for the scouse i guess. wouldnt want him at united so they can have him, wont affect us

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spellbound said:
Robbie Keane? :eek:
UH we got a Carlos Tevez for £32 M and they got......a bunch of bench warmer. :cool:
Bench warmer-crazy. I rate Keane higher than our Tevez, I think he is that good. Anyone who think he is a bad player is just plain ignorant. I've followed his whole career and he has been magnificent and I felt he was the main man in his and Berbatov's partnership.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Bench warmer-crazy. I rate Keane higher than our Tevez, I think he is that good. Anyone who think he is a bad player is just plain ignorant. I've followed his whole career and he has been magnificent and I felt he was the main man in his and Berbatov's partnership.
Thank you mate! Its sure warming to hear compliments.

L

·
0 Posts
Hi forum, take it easy on me. cant believe so many of you lot have opinions on liverpool. Some of them quite good as well.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
LiverpoolHuwzie said:
Hi forum, take it easy on me. cant believe so many of you lot have opinions on liverpool. Some of them quite good as well.
We have lots of opinions on Liverpool lol :D
Feel free to enter the debates. Always good to have rival fans here,
even if they are Scousers ;)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Can't believe how many are slating him as a player for signing for Liverpool. He is definitely an upgrade over Voronin, and it will be interesting to see if he forges something special with Torres. I've always thought he was a very solid premiership player.

Now as a person, slate away all you want for him signing for the pile ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts