Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunderland have signed Phil Bardsley from Manchester United, in a deal worth up to £2million. The 22-year-old right-back has penned a three-and-a-half year deal with The Black Cats, and becomes Roy Keane's third capture of the January transfer window.

Keane told the club's official website: "We needed to strengthen our defence and Phil is a good addition to the squad."

Bardsley, who made eight Premier League appearances for United, added: "Sunderland have a fantastic manager who has given me the chance to come here and play."I'm delighted; it's a massive club and a good opportunity." Bardsley has previously had loan spells with Sheffield United, Royal Antwerp, Burnley and Rangers.

Sky Sports News

Massive? They always are Phil, they always are!!! Now he has left us the way is open for Simpson to replace Gary Neville.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Agreed. Almost every player he has brought on, he either played with or against. He started sorting out his scouting network some 14 months ago, its shocking how doesnt seem to find decent players for decent sums of money.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I thought Bardo looked alright when he covered for Neville a couple of seasons ago but I think Simpson looks a better prospect.

Also, with the Brazilian twins coming soon and Kieran Lee doing well for the reserves (now on loan at QPR) there is a lot of competition for the full-back positions.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I thought he was really good when he replaced Neville.

But yeah, he isn't as good as Simpson or Lee, and with Rafael coming, he wasn't going to succeed really.

But Roy Keane either needs to sort out his scouting, or get an imagination.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Why is the Brazilian twins going to be so much better then Phil was for United?? '

And... sometimes its so vital to have a genuine United background and sometimes its better to buy buy buy.
I remember the rage against Ferguson when he went after Andy Cole and had to give Gillespie away plus a lot of money. The fans said the new generation of players was not for sale. This seems to not be the case now more then 10 years later.:D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
spellbound said:
Why is the Brazilian twins going to be so much better then Phil was for United?? '

And... sometimes its so vital to have a genuine United background and sometimes its better to buy buy buy.
I remember the rage against Ferguson when he went after Andy Cole and had to give Gillespie away plus a lot of money. The fans said the new generation of players was not for sale. This seems to not be the case now more then 10 years later.:D
I never said they were going to be better. But the Brazilians are probably going to get more game time (eventually) than Phil. Phil was already behind Brown and Simpson in the pecking order, and the Brazilians would have moved in front eventually.

And its alright saying the new generation of players are not for sale, using the attitude of 10 years ago. But if there are not going to get enough playing time or if the manager does not feel they are good enough.

And back then, the British players coming through were better than they are now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts