Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Goal.com

Kevin Keegan has announced that Newcastle United will do their utmost best to end Chelsea’s championship title hopes next Monday, even if that means gifting Manchester United the trophy.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley has promised the reverse as his side head to Old Trafford next weekend in the hope of repeating last year’s effort by doing the double over United.

Chelsea defeated the Red Devils 2-1 in a heated encounter at Stamford Bridge on Saturday to draw level in the title race, setting up a grandstand finish with two games remaining.

United have faltered somewhat in their bid to secure a 17th league championship, having drawn against Middlesbrough and Blackburn prior to losing in West London.

And Keegan knows what it is like to throw the title away, having done just that during his first managerial stint on Tyneside after being bested by Sir Alex Ferguson in a battle of media mind-games.

But the former England boss insists Newcastle will do their best to extend their unbeaten run as they host the Sky Blues next Monday, even though the thought of helping his arch nemesis causes him a certain amount of anguish.

"It is our job to help Man United win the title, and that's not easy for me to say," Keegan said.

"Yes, Chelsea are a big club and would be worthy champions as would Man United, but we have a chance now, having put together a run of six or seven games unbeaten, to see how far we've come by playing one of the big four.

"I don't have a preference at all. I just think the best team usually wins it - except the time we lost the title. The best team came second that time."

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I just read that on tribal and its good to see such determination from Keegan...they are on good form and I am confident for them to get a draw! All we got to do is our part and beat West Ham and the title should be ours from there

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Have a look here:

26.04.2008 PR Premier League West Ham Newcastle 2-2
20.04.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Sunderland 2-0
12.04.2008 PR Premier League Portsmouth Newcastle 0-0
05.04.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Reading 3-0
30.03.2008 PR Premier League Tottenham Newcastle 1-4
22.03.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Fulham 2-0
17.03.2008 PR Premier League Birmingham City Newcastle 1-1

Last three Home matches
3 0 0 9points 7-0

Not bad...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Lucky7 said:
Have a look here:

26.04.2008 PR Premier League West Ham Newcastle 2-2
20.04.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Sunderland 2-0
12.04.2008 PR Premier League Portsmouth Newcastle 0-0
05.04.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Reading 3-0
30.03.2008 PR Premier League Tottenham Newcastle 1-4
22.03.2008 PR Premier League Newcastle Fulham 2-0
17.03.2008 PR Premier League Birmingham City Newcastle 1-1

Last three Home matches
3 0 0 9points 7-0

Not bad...
5 teams from bottom half of the table....

only 1 (pompey) from top half...

no big 4

No chance :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I believe United will have to win their last 2 games to win the title. I'd be stunned if Chelsea dropped any points in their last 2 games after fighting so hard to get back in the title race.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
For our sakes, lets hope he does us a favour. Maybe Bolton could possibly do it for us as well. They'll be fighting hard to avoid relegation.

Z

·
0 Posts
red_devils4life said:
I just think the best team usually wins it - except the time we lost the title. The best team came second that time."
Lmao Kev, always the comedian :p

Z

·
0 Posts
Forever_United said:
erm wigan anyone ? 1 - 1 with chelsea? who's to say newcastle can't do the business as well ?
It's quite possible. Chelsea drew there last year and
I've heard they haven't won at St. James' Park for six years.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i really want to trust him, but i think the only way we can retain our title is to win our remaining matches. we cant depend on newcastle, even they are on an unbeaten run, chelsea could still grind out the desired result.
4 straight wins to end the season, there is no other way.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Haha as if he will probably lose on purpose because he still seeks revenge for 95' or whenever he lost the title race and went mental!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
lol...good enthusiasm by him...but will it show in the pitch??? i dont think so...
chelsea will rip them apart IMO......
but i do want then to win :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts