Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says the title race is over including me, were 7pts clear with a game in hand and looking strong while the rest dont look like they can touch us.

i believe that we will win the league and hopefully we can rap it up as fast as we can, BUT and thats a big BUT chelsea could catch us if they went on a run and we took our eyes off the league thincking its already in the bag

but for me sir alex would never let that happon, utd's focus on games is always 100%

i'm just saying we can't celabrate yet we have job to do, but one thing is for sure its ours to lose all we need to do is stay focused and were champions Again:first: 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:groupwave reversed::groupwave reversed::groupwave reversed:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The reason why I am now so confident that we will win the title is that I know Fergie will be saying exactly the same to his players. We haven't won it yet and we need to focus on each game as it comes. Fergie has been in this situation so many times before that there is no way he'll let the players get ahead of themselves.

I liked his response when asked about our chances of the quintuple too - something along the lines of 'a deflected shot off someone's backside and we're out of the cup'. So true! We battered Pompey last season in the quarter-final and somehow lost the game. You just never know in cup competitions.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Chelsea will have to win every matches they play from now on while us...we have to drop atleast 3 matches for Chelsea to win it. Yes we could drop points somewhere for sure but Chelsea winning their every matches including against us at OT, is very unlikely. Even if they could, with sir alex keep on repeating about how arsenal beat us to the title before then i doubt we will give it away as easily as that. That said nothing is currently won yet...and it wont hurt to be extra cautious.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
were 7clear, have a game in hand, better goal difference, have the experience to see the job thru and our team morale is sky high.

I know mathematically they COULD catch us but i dont think they will. They have already played us and their nearest dipper rivals twice this season so its partially up to us to drop points and scousers to continue to crumble for them to be champions

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
The title race is over ? Just because we are leading by 7 points does not mean that it is over, we have got one hand on the cup true, but let`s keep our feet on the ground, we all know about other team`s managers and what their big head has caused their club.

That`s why i love Fergie so much.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It should be over but if anyone can do it, its Chelsea. They seem to have renewed hope under Hiddink and they have Essien back as well. If he had been playing all season long they would probably have the same number of points as us.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I seem to remember us being 7 points ahead of them last season, only for them to pull it back and make it level with one game to go.

We've got some tricky games to play. Liverpool, Arsenal and Villa are capable to taking points of us. We've got to go to Boro away which is a bit of a bogey ground for us, and I wouldn't be suprised if we dropped points vs Newcastle tbh.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I seem to remember us being 7 points ahead of them last season, only for them to pull it back and make it level with one game to go.
This was possible because they played against us in London, where they held their impressive record. Fortunately we don't play each other in this season's end in PL.
And I can't see Liverpool winning at OT.

Though Chelsea have easier opponents in the remainder of this season, our headstart is still too good to be true. United were not used to win it "the easy way".

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I say it's over all the time, and I suppose it sort of is but we can still lose it, happened with Arsenal when we were 12 points clear back in the 90's I think.

All it would take was for us to drop points tomorrow and in our game in hand, and then theres an opening as, don't forget we still have Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal both to play. Liverpool I wouldn't be too worried about, we usually smash them at OT, but Arsenal & City always seem to turn it on, Arse were out of form earlier in the season yet they beat us, and City have done it in the past.

But basically the players just need to focus, and make sure the job gets done every game, for example tomorrow we could quite easily take our eye off the ball and drop poitns against Newcastle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
but Chelsea winning their every matches including against us at OT, is very unlikely.
We've already played and beaten Chelsea at O.T. this season mate. :thumbsup:

Being a complete pessimist I wouldn't say anything is done and dusted, we have a habit of making life as difficult as possible. Only Chelsea can catch us though, the others just aren't good enough, but Chelsea nearly did exactly that last season. I've never wanted a League Title as much as this one, our chance to finally get level with the vermin on 18 Titles. :whistling:

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I refused to rule out Chelsea last year, and it ended up going to the final day of the season. This year I'm doing the same. Chelsea have nothing to lose, there's no pressure on them. They have the best squad in the premiership, and rejuvinated under new management. We can't get careless. Scholes, Giggs and co. should provide the experience, and we should hold on. Will it go down to the wire again?Probably.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'm really actually glad Liverpool and Chelsea have now got to within 4 points of us (we have 2 games in hand), because it will just show them that they can't afford to drop the effort for one match; and SHOULD prevent them from losing concentration in the title bid.

I think having Chelsea sort of chasing us will keep us motivated to keep winning in the league, while I think in the last maybe 7 or 8 games they will burn out and lose a couple leaving the path clear for us.

Obviously it could be argued I'm talking rubbish because I have no crystal ball but thats the way I see things.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I understand what you are saying Richie, but I would love to win it and wrap it up to let some of the young players play some more. Let Nani have a consistent run out, while we could focus our bigger guns towards the other two cups for grab. I don't think complacency is an issue with this squad after seeing the Carling celebrations, and the size of squad that we have. Wrap this up with a tidy bow, and on to the next piece of silverware. ;)

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
i don't think chelsea or the pool will catch us,we'd have to really slip up now,thats just not going to happen,mind you with chelsea snapping at our heels it'll keep us focused...never just take it for granted,our boys will have to keep the workrate as high as they are now....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I don't mean to rain on the parade - wait, actually, I do.

This race is far from over. The gap is just four points now, albeit with two games-in-hand. We have a number of tough games during the run-in ('pool, villa, l'arse, fulham away, sunder'd away, boro away - to name a few) where we could easily drop points if we're not careful. Any points lost will give chelski (and the dippers for that matter) renewed hope and put more pressure on us. Need I remind anyone that we haven't scored in our last 210 minutes of football, and our last win over Blackburn was far from convincing.

We all know of occasions when leads have been lost. Just last season, l'arse had games-in-hand on several occasions but didn't take adavantage. That gave both us and chelski the will and the opportunity to overtake them.

It's the beginning of March, not May. We really need to keep our focus, starting tonight at newcastle.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
yep keep focus lads, another 6 wins and im pretty confident we've won it. Starting with newcastle tonight! ;)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I refused to rule out Chelsea last year, and it ended up going to the final day of the season. This year I'm doing the same. Chelsea have nothing to lose, there's no pressure on them. They have the best squad in the premiership, and rejuvinated under new management. We can't get careless. Scholes, Giggs and co. should provide the experience, and we should hold on. Will it go down to the wire again?Probably.
Yeah, I just posted a reality check, but...

Given what we have been able to accomplish so far with all the injuries and suspensions - SAF chopping and changing the line-up for every game - I don't know how you can possibly say that.

Ridiculous! :confused: :mad:

If you have watched any of chelski's recent games, hiddink is virtually going with a set starting XI. I fail to see what evidence you have for that statement.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts