Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United and Arsenal ponder transfer of Kelechi Iheanacho after U17 World Cup supershow

The striker was named player of the tournament after scoring seven goals and adding six assists for champions Nigeria

Manchester United have joined the clubs chasing Nigerian wonderkid Kelechi Iheanacho.

As well as the champions, striker-hungry Arsenal also watched the striker star in the recent Under-17s World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

The 17-year-old won the Golden Ball as the tournament's best player.

He scoredsix goals in seven matches - including one in Nigeria's victory over Mexico in the final and four in one match (see below) against the same opposition in the group phase - and also provided seven assists.

Iheanacho said: "It is my dream to play in England."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-arsenal-ponder-transfer-2795057#ixzz2klCjJ4H2

·
Registered
727 Posts
'17 years old'.

I am always wary of going after 'young' African talents. It's very easy for an over age player to play in under 17 tournaments and look like a worldie. Remember Obafemi Martins?

It doesn't sound like it would make much difference for a player 2, 3 years older to be playing against 16 year olds. In development terms however, 2 or 3 years is absolutely huge, so they end up crushing them and looking incredible.

Of course, Nigeria have already been forced to drop a few players because of age cheating back in April. (link)

(also on bbc website here) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22152016

In all fairness, he does look genuinely young, and he is definitely a prospect.

·
The Chosen Juan
4,690 Posts
Don't tarnish them all with the same brush :rolleyes: @GazTheLegend

He's a talented boy, a genuine prospect IMO, not just another over-rated, ''next Eto'o'' youngster. If we're going to sign a teenage striker then Bruno Gomes is still my first choice, but I wouldn't complain if we beat Arsenal to the signing of Iheanacho.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Don't trust africans with youngsters, he's probably 20 years old. If he isn't, then he's still not great and dominated the compition largely due to his athletic capabilities at that age. When the other kids catch up his average technical skills will be exposed.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Don't trust africans with youngsters, he's probably 20 years old. If he isn't, then he's still not great and dominated the compition largely due to his athletic capabilities at that age. When the other kids catch up his average technical skills will be exposed.
:facepalm

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
“Neither Manchester United nor any other club has ever approached me,” he told Vanguard.

“Although, I will like to play professional football, I don’t need to make any mistake in the choice of club, so I haven’t made myself available for any club.

“But now that the tournament is over, my agent and parents have a lot to do in my decision to move ahead in my future career.

“I will prefer to start my professional career in England, than any other country in the world,” Iheanacho said.

http://thepeoplesperson.com/under-17-world-cup-mvp-wonder-kid-clarifies-manchester-united-contract-rumours/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts