Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His goals against Villa and Sunderland earned us a valuable 4 points and played a massive part in keeping us top of the league and ultimately winning the title.

Any player that has contributed to the success of the team is deserving of a medal in my opinion and it's only the FA's silly rules that prevent it.

Let's hope he'll get the opportunity to win a few more with us in future though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's the law? is it every player with 10 appearances?
i'm not sure whether this was right, but i think i heard that clubs get a few extra winners medals to allocate as they please?
I think it's 10 yeah. Not sure about extra medals, never heard that before. There is an appeals process though which is how Kooshack got one last season I think.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I'm certain he will get a medal on appeal. The point of not giving them to people without enough appearances is because they don't want to be just handing out medals to people who have contributed barely anything to earning them. But it is clear to anybody than even in such a short time, Macheda could well have won us the title and I'm sure the FA will agree with that.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
No, he didn't play enough games.

Yes, he probably did give us 4 points and was a major reason we won the league, but how many games did he appear in? It's gotta be under 5. How many games did he even start? 1? 2? It's not enough, even if he did get important goals.

If the FA bent the rules for Kiko then they'd have to do it for every other player that plays one or two games for a title winning team, even if they have no impact. The rules are there to award the medals to those that truly deserve them - those that have contributed all season long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes, he probably did give us 4 points and was a major reason we won the league, but how many games did he appear in? It's gotta be under 5. How many games did he even start? 1? 2? It's not enough, even if he did get important goals.

If the FA bent the rules for Kiko then they'd have to do it for every other player that plays one or two games for a title winning team, even if they have no impact. The rules are there to award the medals to those that truly deserve them - those that have contributed all season long.
This.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
if macheda hadnt scored against villa, i dont personally think we would have won the league. we were looking low in confidence and seemed to be spiralling out of form.

up stepped macheda and turned the title on its head. that was the moment that transferred our season and on that reason, if we have medals going spare then he should be on the receiving end of one.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
His goals against Villa and Sunderland earned us a valuable 4 points and played a massive part in keeping us top of the league and ultimately winning the title.

Any player that has contributed to the success of the team is deserving of a medal in my opinion and it's only the FA's silly rules that prevent it.

Let's hope he'll get the opportunity to win a few more with us in future though.
That is so stupid. What's a few more medals, to be honest??
Here, while not every player in the squad gets a medal, every player that played at least part of an official match gets credit for it, and I think it's stupid to have such limiting rules.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After watching all the celebrations i dont think he will care. He was totally enjoying himself with the first team and was celebrating as hard as anyone. I think his turn for medals will come and NOT getting one this time will only make him want one even more. I know if it was me i would not want one as the medal is based on a full seasons efforts. He will always remember his debut goal and a medal would not make it any greater

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Pig and Alan Smith got medals and they didnt get the 10.
I heard that they can get an extra couple of medals.
Kiko deserves one anyway. If it wasnt for him we wouldn't have our 18th yet.
They shouldn't have had their medals neihter.
I'm not saying that this rule is right or so, and if you ask for my opinion, i tell you that every player should get a medal even if his contribution in the league was little. Its a squad, a team and without it as a whole we wouldn't be where we are.

Macheda getting a medal? Right, he deserves it.
But give one to the others too, they made their part when Fergie asked for it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree. The entire squad (those who made an appearance) should be entitled to a medal. Winning the league was a team effort.

Even if players like Macheda didn't make more than a couple of appearances, they worked their arse off for the entire season in training/reserves so that they would be there if Fergie needed them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Correct, he only played a few games. But his contributions were vital enough that without them we may not have won the title. Those four extra points were massive for us and came at a time in the season where we'd lost two games in a row and allowed Liverpool to creep back into the title race. His winning goals against Villa and Sunderland gave us back the belief and momentum that carried us over the finish line and for that I think he deserves a medal.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
Correct, he only played a few games. But his contributions were vital enough that without them we may not have won the title. Those four extra points were massive for us and came at a time in the season where we'd lost two games in a row and allowed Liverpool to creep back into the title race. His winning goals against Villa and Sunderland gave us back the belief and momentum that carried us over the finish line and for that I think he deserves a medal.
It's still not enough though.

No matter how much he contributed, it's still only 2 games. Those were vital points he won us and I can see your point that maybe we wouldn't have won the league without him which maybe should merit a medal, but he simply hasn't played enough games - not even as a sub. Let alone how many games he's started. Even if he'd scored a hatrick in both games I'd still be saying it's not enough.

It's harsh but fair.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
It's still not enough though.

No matter how much he contributed, it's still only 2 games. Those were vital points he won us and I can see your point that maybe we wouldn't have won the league without him which maybe should merit a medal, but he simply hasn't played enough games - not even as a sub. Let alone how many games he's started. Even if he'd scored a hatrick in both games I'd still be saying it's not enough.

It's harsh but fair.
So.... let's say that hypothetically a fringe player like maybe nani (just as an example) made 10 appearances as and has no or little impact.

Does he deserve a medal more than a player like macheda who only made two or three apearances but scored two match-winning goals?

His goals gave us 6 points, without whichn we would not be champs.

I think there really is a case for Kiko Macheda.

Not only would it be fair, it would give this young player an increddible boost.

Either way, if he doesn't get one, I'm sure he'll be determined to get one eventually, so i'm happy either way, but if we're tlaking about fair, i think it's fair for a player with a few appearances who made an impact to get a medal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.