Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'King Kev' Given A £90 Million Transfer Kitty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...id=1779 &ct=5

Kevin Keegan has been promised a £30million transfer kitty for January and a further £60m in the summer in order to compete with the top four clubs.
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has told Keegan he will be allowed to splash his cash to deliver Champions League football to the city again. The sports mogul, who pulled off one of the shocks of the season when he landed Keegan after a three-year deal.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
red_devils4life said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...id=1779 &ct=5

Kevin Keegan has been promised a £30million transfer kitty for January and a further £60m in the summer in order to compete with the top four clubs.
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has told Keegan he will be allowed to splash his cash to deliver Champions League football to the city again. The sports mogul, who pulled off one of the shocks of the season when he landed Keegan after a three-year deal.
lol - now that's what I call a bad managment ! They could have left Big Sam and give him that amount for transfers... :confused:

·
23,699 Posts
Kevin Keegan will be presented to the media today as the new manager of Newcastle....

Although we may laugh at him, I am pretty sure Newcastle will be better and stronger under his reign. 6-0 will be a thing of the past. So laugh while we can..

:D

But I do know what number he hates most... What else but 12 of course!!!

:D :D :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think Keegan has a lot of work to do. As far as I'm concerned the only area that doesn't need improvement is the goalkeeper.

They need at least 3 new defenders (keep Taylor in the back 4).

They need a quality central attacking midfield player. Also, Duff is only just back from long-term injury and they could do with cover for N'Zogbia and Milner so a winger would be useful.

Up front Owen is too injury prone, Martins is in Africa, Viduka is getting on a bit, Smith has barely played up front this season and I'm not even sure whether Ameobi still plays for them so a stiker is a must.

·
23,699 Posts
reddwarf said:
I think Keegan has a lot of work to do. As far as I'm concerned the only area that doesn't need improvement is the goalkeeper.

They need at least 3 new defenders (keep Taylor in the back 4).

They need a quality central attacking midfield player. Also, Duff is only just back from long-term injury and they could do with cover for N'Zogbia and Milner so a winger would be useful.

Up front Owen is too injury prone, Martins is in Africa, Viduka is getting on a bit, Smith has barely played up front this season and I'm not even sure whether Ameobi still plays for them so a stiker is a must.

Shh.................

D o n ' t l e t h i m h e a r y o u, o k?

Shh...........

He may just take your advice, you know?!.:eek: :D ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I reckon that they should purchase some good defensive reinforcements. If I'm Kevin Keegan, I will keep Steven Taylor, Shay Given, Charles N'Zogbia, & Obafemi Martins. Then buy Richard Dunne, Olof Mellberg, Wes Brown, Deco Souza, Javier Mascherano, Shaun-Wright Philips & Hernan Crespo. Then they will hve quite a solid side:

-------------------------------------Shay Given--------------------------------------

Wes Brown-------Steven Taylor---------Richard Dunne-------Olof Mellberg

----------------------------------Javier Mascherano--------------------------------

Shaun-Wright Philips------------Deco Souza---------------Charles N'Zogbia

-----------------Obafemi Martins----------------Hernan Crespo-----------------

·
23,699 Posts
red_devils4life said:
I reckon that they should purchase some good defensive reinforcements. If I'm Kevin Keegan, I will keep Steven Taylor, Shay Given, Charles N'Zogbia, James Milner, & Obafemi Martins. hen buy Richard Dunne, Olof Mellberg, Wes Brown, Deco Souza, Javier Mascherano & Hernan Crespo. Then they will hve quite a solid side:

-------------------------------------Shay Given--------------------------------------

Wes Brown-------Steven Taylor---------Richard Dunne-------Olof Mellberg

----------------------------------Javier Mascherano--------------------------------

James Milner--------------------Deco Souza-----------------Charles N'Zogbia

-----------------Obafemi Martins----------------Hernan Crespo-----------------
Sh.................

And hide your lineout, ok, mate?;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
In my opinion, Keegans tactical failure was very clear a decade ago and its going to be very apperant in 2008 where european coaches have changed the premier league into a more tactical league. Being a great attraction to players and getting the best out of your players, which are keegans strongest points IMO, wont be enough in the premiership these days. For the sake of Newcastle, I hope Keegan strengthened that area of his management ability.

Now, a realistic look at what Newcastles ambitions should be. Should they be in the top half ? Definitely. Should they be in europe year in year out ? Definitely. Can they be in europe year in year out as things stand ? No. You got the big three, then the two liverpool sides and City. Those are six teams that are likely to be in europe in a constant basis for the next few years. Everton have the stability that Newcastle badly lacks and City have the defensive backbone that Newcastle desperately need. Then you got teams like Spurs, Portsmouth, Villa and Blackburn that are showing that they are good enough to get into europe.

Newcastle have money to spend, well I hate to break it all to you but almost every premiership side has money to spend. Eriksson has an open check from what I hear. Villa, West Ham and Portsmouth are spending crazy money. Heck, even Sunderland and fulham have spent 30 million each. what will work in Newcastles favour is the fact that they have a 50,000 seats stadium and decent history. That should attract good enough players.

Now to the team. I think they have a very decent squad, its not as disastereous as some people make it up to be. Given is as good as any one and their strike force is pretty good. Its what in between thats not good enough. At right back I've been impressed with Beye. Strong, quick, reads the game well and is decent going forward. Faye should start every game. The guy is a rock, a very good defender. Now people have mentioned Steven Taylors name, I havent been that impressed to be honest. A couple of years ago he looked like a player who would develop into a top top defender. Thats not happening though. I'm not saying he isnt decent, cause he is, but he hasnt improved and he is not a top6 club material. Theyre going to need a leader at the back. Someone like Rio, Dunne or Ledley King. Up to them to find someone of that class and that amount of leadership. I havent seen enough of Enrique to judge him, but he's the only left back theyve got so Id think of bringing in another. How good the other one should be depends on how good Enrique develops into.

Midfield is a mess. Duff, Milner, Nzogbia, Butt, Emre and Barton are all very good players. But I don't know, for the past few seasons Newcastles midfield dont seem to click really. Is it lack of tactical and techniqual training ? I truely dont know. But theyre going to need a creative midfielder, someone who can make things happen. And an another right sided midfielder to offer Milner some competition.

People have to be realistic about the players they target. I think someone on this thread mentioned Dunne as a possible target ? Why would he leave city for Newcastle ? He is the clubs captain, Id say that City are as big of club as Newcastle. Not the same but close enough. They are 4th in the league, they have one of the best managers around and a chairman that is going to spend spend spend. Newcastle are going to have to work to get quality players in, cause they havent done that well in a long time.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
As if they'll sign half of those players. Crespo moving to Newcastle? Keep dreaming!

Javier Mascherano very unlikely.
Olof Mellberg, why would he move?
Richard Dunne, captain of a new rising team? No chance. Even if he is in contract talks.
Wes Brown, i'll be surprised if they sign him to be honest.
SWP, doubt it as well.

Defoe is there best chance.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Keano's fan said:
Now people have mentioned Steven Taylors name, I havent been that impressed to be honest. A couple of years ago he looked like a player who would develop into a top top defender. Thats not happening though. I'm not saying he isnt decent, cause he is, but he hasnt improved and he is not a top6 club material. Theyre going to need a leader at the back. Someone like Rio, Dunne or Ledley King. Up to them to find someone of that class and that amount of leadership.
Taylor is decent and you're probably right. I think he could become an excellent defender eventually. He is still young. If he moved to a top side he'd improve. I just can't see that happening at Newcastle. Maybe he'll just blossom later on thatn most.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RichardsReds said:
As if they'll sign half of those players. Crespo moving to Newcastle? Keep dreaming!

Javier Mascherano very unlikely.
Olof Mellberg, why would he move?
Richard Dunne, captain of a new rising team? No chance. Even if he is in contract talks.
Wes Brown, i'll be surprised if they sign him to be honest.
SWP, doubt it as well.

Defoe is there best chance.
Hey come on, players like Jermain Defoe, Wes Brown & Deco Souza hve insists umpteem times that they want to play regular- first-team football week in and week out. At St James Park, they are very likely to achieve that priority. Secondly, players like Javier Mascherano hve a buy-out clause in their contract deal. I believe that such a wily team mananger like Kevin Keegan knows hw to exploit that weakness. Somemore if Liverpool fails to achieve top 4 spot this season, he won't get to play in the European stage. Thus, the move will be very likely. Last but not least, I know that players like Richard Dunne, Olof Mellberg & SWP may be quite hard to lure........but who knows! If they were lucky, I believe they can get them. But of coz', they will hve to step up on their pursuit on these players.

·
Registered
406 Posts
RichardsReds said:
Taylor is decent and you're probably right. I think he could become an excellent defender eventually. He is still young. If he moved to a top side he'd improve. I just can't see that happening at Newcastle. Maybe he'll just blossom later on thatn most.
Yeah defenders usually reach their prime in their late twenties. The row talent is there, he along with the club just need to work harder on it.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
keegan is a lucky manager - owen fit duff fit given for me best keeper in league . he must strengthen defence and buy one real quality striker and i think the butts and smiths of the world will regain the quality they had while at utd . at least he will get them playing attacking football

1 - 20 of 32 Posts