1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought "Oh, that means that atleast four exceptional teams
are out and four mediocre teams will be in the Quarter Finals."
Looking at it again the only unexceptional team that will be
in the Quarter Finals is one of Villareal and Panathinaikos.
Atlético and Bayern aren't in the Barcelona and United category
but they're thereabouts anyway.

Who do you think will qualify?

Chelsea v Juventus - This is a tough one as Juventus have exceptional
momentum and are really playing their best football at the moment. I
reckon a surprise could be in store for Fat Phil.

Villarreal v Panathinaikos - The most unremarkable match of the draw,
Villarreal shouldn't have too much trouble but Panathinaikos are good
at home.

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich - Not much to say, Bayern Munich will
win at home and maybe draw away.

Atlético Madrid v FC Porto - Porto are a good team but Atlético have too
much class.

Lyon v Barcelona - Barcelona should get through without much trouble,
might concede a goal or two.

Real Madrid v Liverpool - Possibly the least predictable of the lot. Real
definitely have the squad to go all the way but they have problems with
injuries and probably morale so I'll go with Liverpool as they do deliver
in Europe, even at the cost of going 18 going on 19 years without winning
the domestic league.

Arsenal v AS Roma - Roma are looking good in Serie A and Arsenal
are still missing that piece of the puzzle.

Internazionale v Manchester United - Mourinho's Inter isn't looking as
good as Roberto Mancini's, they've won 1-0 [or so] against all the small teams in
Italy, beat Roma 4-0 and lost to AC Milan. Our football hasn't been excellent
but we've been known to perform after Christmas so I think we should
get this one.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I'm uncertain about 3 of the ties. As for the Liverpool Vs Real game, I have completely no idea.

But my predictions are;

Juventus to beat Chelsea

Villarreal to beat Panathinaikos

Bayern Munich to beat Sporting.

Atlético Madrid to beat FC Porto

Barcelona to beat Lyon

Real Madrid Vs Liverpool (Have completely no idea. Atm it looks like Liverpool, but by the time February comes it could be completely different.)

AS Roma to beat Arsenal (Uncertain but I think Roma will overcome a weak and disjointed Arsenal)

Man Utd to beat Inter (Uncertain but I think we'll do it)

In the CL draw thread, I predicted at least one English side to go out. But I think two may well be out, possibly even three.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Well since the ties are in February, and form is fleeting, its tough to call any of these, not to mention that transfer window coming up, but as far as my predictions go:

Chelsea-Juve:
I honestly think that if they were playing next week, Juve would gob them, home and away. Such is Juve's form, but since they aren't I'd be inclined to say it'll be a much closer affair, and I can see this going down to away goals, should be very interesting, but I think the Old Lady can pull it off.

Villarreal-Pana: Villarreal should get this done, no sweat.

Bayern-Sporting: I think this will be closer than a lot of people think, maybe even a result for Sporting at home, but Bayern should and in my estimation, will win.

Atlético-Porto: Porto have an ass-kicking coming there way.

Barca-Lyon: Ligue 1 is kind of close, whereas La Liga is just about over, and I think Lyon may have already shipped it in seeing who they've just drawn.

Real-Liver*****: Wow. What a tie! I'm completely in the air on this one, Real are staaaaaaaaaarving for a European Cup, and I think since La Liga is gone for them (though a lot can happen in a few months) they'll devote there best efforts to this tie, whereas the Scousers (satan) have to want the League much more, and will probably still be in the hunt by then. So I say Real gets it done.

Roma-Arsenal: Arsenal are shipping goals to clubs with less quality the Roma, I think Roma should win at home by a couple, and maybe draw at the Emirates.

Manchester United- Internazionale: I think Inter plays the style of football that allows us to control most of the ball. This isn't going to be easy, but I think we can get it done.

·
23,699 Posts
Interesting statistics for the English teams.....

Times Online

History favours Liverpool and Arsenal

Arsenal v Roma

Arsenal will fancy their chances against Roma having played them previously in the 2002-03 season, winning 3-1 in Rome and drawing 1-1 at Highbury. Arsene Wenger's side have also kept four successive clean sheets against Italian teams, while Roma have a miserable record against the English in Europe, having have won only two of their 12 Champions League games, capped by 7-1 thrashing by Manchester United at Old Trafford in April 2007.

Liverpool v Real Madrid

Liverpool's only previous meeting with Real Madrid was in the 1981 European Cup Final, which they won 1-0. But Rafael Benitez can return to his old club with confidence as Liverpool have lost only one of their five trips to Spain in the Champions League.

Real Madrid haven't won any of their last three matches against English sides and in 2005-06 they failed to score in both games against Arsenal

Manchester United v Inter Milan

Manchester United's only two previous clashes with Inter came on the way to winning the trophy in 1999, when they won 2-0 at Old Trafford and drew 1-1 at the San Siro.

United have lost only one of their past seven clashes with Inter, while conversely the Italians have only won two of their eight matches with English teams - and have lost the last three.

However, in the last four years each of the previous season's winners have gone out at the last 16 stage in the following season, while Sir Alex Ferguson has only beaten Jose Mourinho once in 12 meetings.

Chelsea v Juventus

Claudio Ranieri's emotional return to Stamford Bridge marks Juventus' first meeting with Chelsea in Europe. Chelsea played Roma twice in the group stage, winning 1-0 at home and losing 3-1 away, but they have only won three of their eight Champions League ties against Italian sides - all against teams from Rome.

While it remains debatable if the Chelsea then were stronger than the current Inter, thought Fergie's rather pathetic records against Mourinho for whatever reason(s) does stick at the back of the mind.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Chelsea vs Juventus ( Chelsea will win the tie not by many but I think they will win this one)

villarreal vs pana ( One horse race for me this one villa are to strong for pana the greeks will get battered)

Bayern v Sporting ( Bayern will win this one at home and they will draw in lisbon)

Atletico M v Porto ( Not seen much of porto this year but usually ok . I fancy Atletico by the odd goal)

Barca v Lyon ( In my view it wont be the walk in the park people think for barca Lyon is a tough place to go . But I still think barca in barca are a mean team so barca)

Real M v Liverpool ( Real will have players back fit by then but that said Liverpool have this tournament figured out and must be feared off the foriegn teams)

Roma v Arsenal ( Im going to go for Roma in this one )

MUFC v Inter ( Im going to back us of course but it wont be easy mourinho does know us inside out)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Chelsea v Juventus - I personally think Chelsea will win the whole thing, despite their shakey start. Howver Juve are a top side, decent at home and Chelsea are are playing as bad as ever at home, so you never know.

Villarreal v Panathinaikos - Panathiniakos came top of their group so I wouldn't write them off however when we played Villarela they shwoed they are a decent side and aren't easy to break so I see them going through.

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich - Sporting are ok but defensively they are quite poor, Barca showed this by ripping them apart in both ties. So Bayern for me, esecpially with Ribery playing so well.

Atlético Madrid v FC Porto - Hmm this is a tough one to call, Porto play some decent stuff and so do Athletico, I reckon this is the hardest one to call on paper, but I will go for Athletico as they faired pretty well again Liverpool.

Lyon v Barcelona - Surprised we didn't draw Lyon :p Both good teams, but Barca should see this through, but I wouldn't wire Lyon off.

Real Madrid v Liverpool - Hmmm I hope Liverpool go out, that goes without saying. We should be grateful the ties are in February and not now as Liverpool would probably ease through. However form doesn't always come into especially for Liverpool. Madrid will have Huntelaar then and he could be key with RVN out. But I'm afraid I have to abck the bindippers :(

Arsenal v AS Roma - Arsenal should go through, Roma seem to of improved and looked solid in their group, but Arse should make it.

Internazionale v Manchester United - At the San Siro this will probably be another boring 0-0 however at Old Tarfford is where we need to do the business. If we can grab an away goal we should have no troubles, but we could of got an easier draw but I have to back us :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.