Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably the fact that today was my last day at the company I've been with for the last two years, but I'm really nostalgic today.

Started drinking after the second hour at work and been having ups and downs all day. Nothing too depressing - just saying goodbyes and looking at old photos had me in a weird mood all day.

Just got home and sobered up and when I needed some distraction, football and this forum were there for me.

I know that football is suspended during war, but even in times of dire straits this beutiful game brings people together.

When my dad passed away, I kept myself busy making all the arrangements to sidestep the mourning period. But just as things were difficult, my mates helped me move my dad's stuff back to our flat (he had left us a year before his death).

As there was no place to put his king-sized bed, we left it in the living room and proceeded to watch Newcastle vs Man United, which I believe we lost (Jan Dahl Tomasson was about 8 yards offside, but the linesman didn't see it...)

But it was watching football with my mates and having banter with my mates that made me really, really realize that life goes on...

the world keeps turning, the sun keeps rising, and people keep playing, as well as cheering the beautiful game.

Of course there are situations in life, where football is really put in to perspective and, quite honestly, it is nowhere near important as life or death, BUT it has an ability to heal and cheer you up (unless you're a City supporter).

That's all.... just had this thought and wanted to type while under the influence.....

thanks for reading. :)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I concur, I think it goes for sports in general. Good read btw.

Speaking of mourning, it reminded me of post-9/11 when Mike Piazza hit that home run at Shea Stadium and how the whole USA sort of rallied around it. Sports help us mourn, because they bring us all together based on a common interest.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
It also separates us...

I mean, all banter aside, rivalries are nice, they bring emotion and purpose to the game, but sometimes it's too much.

A lot of people have died because of football, and not due to accidents, but due to hatred and bigotry.

It's one thing to have a "healthy hatred" for your club's rivals, but when that goes beyond it, and people fight, and kill just because of the colour of the jersey, it's sad.

Remember, football, and sports, are supposed to be beautiful things, a show to watch, to be appart of, to celebrate. So keep that in mind, and that your rivals are people just like you, who love the game just like you, and are worthy of respect for that, and, if nothing else, they're fellow human beeings, even if they have done some poor decisions, club wise ;)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It also separates us...

I mean, all banter aside, rivalries are nice, they bring emotion and purpose to the game, but sometimes it's too much.

A lot of people have died because of football, and not due to accidents, but due to hatred and bigotry.

It's one thing to have a "healthy hatred" for your club's rivals, but when that goes beyond it, and people fight, and kill just because of the colour of the jersey, it's sad.

Remember, football, and sports, are supposed to be beautiful things, a show to watch, to be appart of, to celebrate. So keep that in mind, and that your rivals are people just like you, who love the game just like you, and are worthy of respect for that, and, if nothing else, they're fellow human beeings, even if they have done some poor decisions, club wise ;)
Yes, football can separate us. Such rivalries as Celtic v Rangers, Barça v Madrid, Boca v River, etc... But look at this relatively speaking: The 30 Years War, a religious war which lasted from 1618 to 1648. It killed numerous people, all in the name of religion. WWII, Hitler trying to exterminate the Jews, and not to mention the religious wars in the Middle East. All these wars started from something that was supposed to draw people together. When the Ivory Coast qualified for the WC 06, the nation was in a civil war, and their qualification actually had the parties talking and they declared a cease fire, at least for the World Cup. Even if you don't win the World Cup, a country comes together. That is something that nothing else can do. Not religion, not God, not the Olympics, nothing else can do what football can do.

I also feel a sense of stability with football. With everything else changing around us, from the economy, government, jobs, wars, etc, it's nice to know that there is something that will always be there.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Yes, football can separate us. Such rivalries as Celtic v Rangers, Barça v Madrid, Boca v River, etc... But look at this relatively speaking: The 30 Years War, a religious war which lasted from 1618 to 1648. It killed numerous people, all in the name of religion. WWII, Hitler trying to exterminate the Jews, and not to mention the religious wars in the Middle East. All these wars started from something that was supposed to draw people together. When the Ivory Coast qualified for the WC 06, the nation was in a civil war, and their qualification actually had the parties talking and they declared a cease fire, at least for the World Cup. Even if you don't win the World Cup, a country comes together. That is something that nothing else can do. Not religion, not God, not the Olympics, nothing else can do what football can do.

I also feel a sense of stability with football. With everything else changing around us, from the economy, government, jobs, wars, etc, it's nice to know that there is something that will always be there.
I agree, sports can be a unifying force, and it should be. That's why, despite rivalries and all that, I don't hate fans of other teams. I have friends who support other teams, namely that one which I won't name ;), and I'm not exactly thrilled when they win, but I don't make a big deal when they loose. I do the mandatory jokes, ofc, but other than that... And there's people that take their clubism so far that they root for foreign teams that play against our rivals. I could never do that, it's a Portuguese team nonetheless.

Some years ago, we played our cup final against "the club that'll remain unnamed", and some idiot of a guy actually threw a very-light (in case you don't know what it is, it's similar to a signal flare that you shoot upwards, in order to signal someone) towards the other side of the field, strucking and killing a father of 2, who's only "crime" was to be supporting the other side on a cup final.

I don't think people should be afraid to support their team, or their country, in any sort of competition, but the truth is, no matter what your club or country is, there's gonna people angry and stupid enough to want to hurt you for it...

And, like you mentioned, same thing happens because of religion, money, oil, land. Anyways, I've drifted :eek:fftopic2:, so here's a :cheers1: in the hope that we start to put our differences aside more and more, and become aware more and more that we're all apart of this wonderful thing called Mankind.:groupwave reversed:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
For me food is the great equaliser. Everybody can get along over food.

Well, almost everybody. :)

Slightly off topic. I can't get an avatar to work. Annoying at first but...

I've made my peace with it. From now on I'm anonymous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts