Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the last time we have produce a good player through the youth ranks most of the young players we have be brought and then sold like Rossi and looks like Pique is going that way to.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Darren Fletcher is the first name that comes tomind really that has really established himself in the first team set up. The academy system in England isnt up to scartch really. Sure, United, West Ham and co have produced great young players over the years and thats the best we could hope for really.

The class of '92 is something that will never happend again. Certainly not with the current set up and rules. I'd be happy with one decent prospect every year or so. We have that in Johnny Evans, Danny Simpson and Frazier Campbell. The thing is, the demands at our football club are so high. Those players might walk straight in most teams line ups, but at United its different where winning every game is a must.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not that I agree with you on that, but even if they were to be shipped out, so ? Theyre not good enough to play for Manchester United then. Its not like the clubs around us are consistantly producing young talents. There are faults in the system, and with the money that has come into footabll the demands are higher than ever. So Clubs arent gambling on young talents as much as they used to do.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but there has been no superstars come through the youth ranks in ages look at west ham the players they produce through there youth ranks and we are a bigger club than west ham. And when we do have good young players like Rossi Fergie goes and sells him.

·
Registered
809 Posts
i hope you do sell evans on... come where you belong johhny :p

also, the price of good british talent has gone up...so you are less likely to see a lowewr division team be buying them IMO

·
Registered
51 Posts
John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher are two recent ones. Danny Simpson is looking good for the future too, he may be Neville's eventual replacement.

·
Registered
406 Posts
marty davidson said:
but there has been no superstars come through the youth ranks in ages look at west ham the players they produce through there youth ranks and we are a bigger club than west ham. And when we do have good young players like Rossi Fergie goes and sells him.
Rossi wanted to go, Fergie didnt just sell him.

And you've mentioned West ham, who was the last top class player they've produced ? Is Mark Noble a top class player ? Tomkins ?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Rio Ferdinand (and his brother Anton), Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and Jermain Defoe all came the West Ham youth academy didn't they?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Carrick was brought in at the age of 17 I think, but the rest are academy products yes. My point was that even they arent producing great players every year. Those are 4 top class players, one good player and a decent one. People talk their academy up like theyve been producing great players every year. I could only think of the 6 you mentioned reddwarf and a couple of decent players theyve produced over the years. Dont United better that with Scholes, Beckham, The Nevilles, Giggs, Brown, Fletcher, O'shea and I could even add the likes of Richardson and McShane to that plus a few others that play at a decent level ?

·
Registered
809 Posts
mc shane has had a disaster of a season and i can saY THAT HAVING WATCHED HIM FOR 19 GAMES ;)... RICHARDSON HASN'T DONE TO BAD...

SEEMS LIKE BOTH OF THESE TYWO ARE OFF TO WEST BROM THOUGH :(

p.s sorry caps

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ye but none have come for our acadamy. If we are spending 30 million on a lot of players, how can we expect them to come through, it is a big problem.

Fletcher and O Shea have been good squad players but we haven't had a top player come through since the "Fergie Fledlings" in 92.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Im not talking about their form, but they are full internationals. Producing full internationals year in year out isnt half bad is it ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
scott 4 evra said:
Ye but none have come for our acadamy. If we are spending 30 million on a lot of players, how can we expect them to come through, it is a big problem.

Fletcher and O Shea have been good squad players but we haven't had a top player come through since the "Fergie Fledlings" in 92.
We are spending millions on players BECAUSE no great prospects are coming through. Its not the other way around.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Keano's fan said:
We are spending millions on players BECAUSE no great prospects are coming through. Its not the other way around.
I disagree. If Chelsea are spending millions on other players we can't expect to rely on youngsters. Look at our first team, Rooney, Tevez, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Nani, Ronaldo. All cost a lot and there is still not much between us and Chelsea. The young players coming through may be good but how can they compete with this.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
versa said:
The conveyor belt is not functioning properly; in fact it breaks down too often.
It doesn't particularly 'need' to work as such......We are in the business of buying
in quality young players like Nani, Anderson, Tevez etc....for ridiculous amounts
of money, so these home grown youngsters will rarely get a sniff.
It's sad in a way, especially for them, but that's what football has become in today's game...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts