Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United skipper Gary Neville will make his long-awaited return to action
next week according to manger Alex Ferguson.

Neville has been out since March with a multitude of injuries including ankle and
calf problems.

With Wes Brown, Mikael Silvestre and John O'Shea all out through injury, the
return of Gary Neville will be a huge boost to the in-form United.

He had expected to be back in action at the start of the season, but suffered a
series of setbacks and only resumed full training a few weeks ago.

The veteran has now been pencilled in for the reserve game against Liverpool on
Thursday, and manager Alex Ferguson is pleased to get his captain back.

The United boss told the Daily Star: "We are hoping to use Gary against Liverpool
reserves this week. That's the plan.

"He is getting better and he is improving all the time.

"He's over his last injury and he has been training now for over two weeks and
he is at a good level.

"Because he has been out for so long, he needs games now and hopefully he can
start on Thursday.

"It will be a good introduction for him game-wise."

·
Registered
211 Posts
Having Neville back can only improve are defence. His long awaited return is here. It will be great to have him back.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dovorian said:
Having Neville back can only improve are defence. His long awaited return is here. It will be great to have him back.
How do you improve a defence that hasn't let any goals in ?

I think he should be made to earn this place in the team not just push out a guy who has done a good job so far !!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
About time I say. Cant wait to have our captain back where he belongs in th efirst team. Gotta say fair play to Wes who has done a great job in his absence. And Pique and Simmo too.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
when he's fit he plays he is the club captain and like keane, robson, and bruce before him he'll walk back into the team.

some one said earlier that he would inprove our defence. i don't think we have missed him in defence this season i think we've missed him more going forward. he has a great engine and he is also one of the best crosser of a ball in the prem

·
Registered
156 Posts
glad he's back . . it means we got more options encase of problems in defense . . it will give us a big lift having neville back

·
Registered
788 Posts
Neville's Man Utd return on hold

Gary Neville's long-awaited return for Manchester United has been put on hold.
The 32-year-old, who has been out with calf and ankle problems since March, was expected to play in Thursday's reserve-team clash with Liverpool.

But the game has come too early for the England defender, although United have stressed he has not suffered a setback in his recovery programme.

United's next reserve game is not until 24 October, effectively ruling Neville out of an October first-team comeback.

Neville picked up an ankle ligament injury in United's Premier League game against Bolton in March and underwent an operation during the summer.

But further calf and thigh injuries have further restricted his chances this season.

United have also confirmed Darren Fletcher will not play against Liverpool despite suggestions the Scotland midfielder was ready to return from a knee injury.

:( :( :(

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is no big headache really.

Our defence dont concede any goal for 630 minutes +

So right now we are not desperate.

Better he make sure he is fully fit - after all he is old man now like RD :p

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RichardsReds said:
does Neville walk back into the defence anyway? as you said, we haven't conceeded for a long time... why change things?
Many people say to me "He is captain so he is straight back in the team !"

But I don't think so.

Why change something that is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do ?

First thing to do when you want to win a game is make sure you don't concede goals......then you just worry for scoring only.

For these past 8 game or so - many game were 1-0 only......if defence is not doing a good job we would not have won them all 1-0..........

I say make him earn his place - Captain or not !!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
That should be the case for any player at United.

Although I am disappointed that Neville won't be playing for the reserves tonight - I was looking forward to seeing him play on MUTV. Looking at the line up for tonight I guess I'll be keeping an eye on the performances of Hewson (looks a good prospect) and Dong (who doesn't!).

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
ARBUCKS said:
Do u have the lin-up for tonight reserve game?? Thanks in advance
Here you go...

United team: Zieler; Gray, R Eckersley, Chester, A Eckersley; Lee, Cleverley, Hewson, Barnes; Dong, Fagan.

Subs from: S Evans, Woods, C Evans, Drinkwater, Welbeck.

I'm interested to see how Kieran Lee plays and Michael Barnes. For those who don't know Lee was Reserve Team Player of the Year last season. Michael Barnes was taken from Lancaster City (my local club) to United so I always keep an eye out for him.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Man Utd insist Neville OK

Manchester United insist Gary Neville hasn't suffered any injury setback, though have confirmed he won't play in tonight's reserve-team clash with Liverpool.

The 32-year-old, who has been out with calf and ankle problems since March, was expected to play in Thursday's reserve-team clash with Liverpool.

But the game has come too early for the England defender, although United have stressed he has not suffered a setback in his recovery programme.

United's next reserve game is not until 24 October, effectively ruling Neville out of an October first-team comeback.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Many people say to me "He is captain so he is straight back in the team !"

But I don't think so.

Why change something that is doing EXACTLY what you want it to do ?

First thing to do when you want to win a game is make sure you don't concede goals......then you just worry for scoring only.

For these past 8 game or so - many game were 1-0 only......if defence is not doing a good job we would not have won them all 1-0..........

Have to disagree Miss Carly. He has earned his right over the many years he has played for United. Being captain as well means he should walk back into the first 11. I can see your point...if it aint broke dont fix it, but its not as if Nev makes many mistakes. You can ALWAYS rely on him to be solid and to add something going forward. As soon as he's ready he should go straight back in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts