Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Fulham and Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez is to be interviewed for the vacant Republic of Ireland job.

Sanchez, sacked by Fulham in December, is expected to meet with the three-man panel set up by the FAI to search for a successor to Steve Staunton.

Ray Houghton, Don Givens and Don Howe are expected to meet Sanchez although he is not regarded as a frontrunner.

It is believed the FAI hopes to name a manager before the end of January as the Republic face Brazil on 6 February.

Givens was in Bulgaria on Tuesday with FAI chief executive John Delaney and president David Blood to fiinalise the fixtures for the Republic's forthcoming World Cup qualifying campaign.

Many names have been linked with the Republic job since Staunton's dismissal, the latest being former French captain and Juventus manager Didier Deschamps.

Would the Irish fans be happy if Sanchez was appointed?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
he did a great job with a v poor squad with the northies, i think he would be a good candidate, better than el tel as he has never really done well with a mediocre team..

i wouldn rule out allardyce yet!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
i wouldnt be too unhappy. he did a great job with N.Ireland so there is no reason to doubt he could do it for the Republic. He also gave youth a chance which proved fruitful. he gave Jonny Evans his first cap before he had even played for United. From what Ive heard its looking like Deschamps or Houllier.......

Just gotta wait and see I guess. If we get the right manager we can be a force in World football again. We have quality players, experienced players and great young players:
Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Finnan, Keane, Doyle, Hunt, 2 Reid's, Ireland, Gibson, Long, Duff, McGeady, McShane.
Thats a good list of names so with the right manager we can do well. :)
CMON IRELAND!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
From what Ive heard its looking like Deschamps or Houllier.......
Houllier is now favourite for Newcastle.....

Venables favourite for Ireland.....

Deschamps second favourite.....

Phewwwww......

Hard to keep up with it all........:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please not Venables.....

Sanchez would be ok, don't know about Deschamps, but surely Big Sam is the ideal candidate, which almost certainly means we'll ait until he gets a great offer from some club before considering him.

It's tough supporting Irish football right now....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
although sanchez did a half decent job at northern ireland would he really be welcomed at the republic? as jazz as said, the republic have some decent players who can play..what sanchez did at the northern was adopt the long ball system and feed off the second ball..now noone really complained about this method coz lets face facts here the northern have a load of shit players and it got a few shock results. but he never qualified, he got out just in time so it looked like he had done a half decent job...but if you consider that he failed at club level with both wycombe and fulham would he really be welcomed at croke park (or lansdowne road) just banging long balls up front?

i know we are in a results driven era in football at the mo but could you irish lads handle the long ball up front routine at national level?

as for deschamps and houllier now they would be ideal for your country and it would be a real coup if you could land one of those as manager but personally i can't see it happening. deschamps i think is too young for international management i think he'd prefer club management at this stage in his career....and houllier will be staying with the french FA according to them today.

it's about time you had a decent manager and i hope you manage to get a top man in whoever it may be..it's been too long since the boys in green were at a major chapionship... just prey that your FA brings someone in who knows what he's doing and has plenty of experience, unlike the couple you've had..

·
Registered
209 Posts
andycole9 said:
although sanchez did a half decent job at northern ireland would he really be welcomed at the republic? as jazz as said, the republic have some decent players who can play..what sanchez did at the northern was adopt the long ball system and feed off the second ball..now noone really complained about this method coz lets face facts here the northern have a load of shit players and it got a few shock results. but he never qualified, he got out just in time so it looked like he had done a half decent job...but if you consider that he failed at club level with both wycombe and fulham would he really be welcomed at croke park (or lansdowne road) just banging long balls up front?
Half Decent? he made Northern Ireland rise 100+ places in the world rankings above ROI and the Welsh. He beat Spain Sweden England and got a very good draw with Portugal, he put Northern Ireland top of there group in the EURO's. He is not a one hit wonder as a manager, i would have welcomed him back to the Northern Ireland management and to say a bunch of 'shit players' got a few 'shock results' is very inconsiderate, Spain Sweden and England fell whilst we lost to Iceland Wales and drew with Azerbaijan away. I would say Northern Ireland got inconsistent results rather than shock results.

If he goes i will be disappointed that he joins our greatest Rivals but i will just hope if he does he fails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts