Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
League hits Leeds with 15-point deduction

Leeds United were last night given permission by the Football League to start the
new season but they were given an unprecedented 15-point deduction for failing
to follow the competition's insolvency rules.

Not-so-mighty Whites: Leeds will begin the season 15 points down
Following a meeting of the League's board yesterday, officials agreed to transfer
the share Leeds need to start the season even though Ken Bates bought the
club out of administration without obtaining the agreement with their £35 million
of creditors.

With the administrator, KPMG, refusing to reconstitute the Company Voluntary
Arrangement, the League said they had no choice but to grant Bates's new
company, Leeds United 2007, the right to kick off the League One season
under "exceptional circumstances". But the club's hopes of returning to the
Championship have been dealt a major blow.

Leeds said last night they would appeal and their fate will be decided by a
meeting of all 72 League clubs.

The date for that was uncertain last night but it is likely the League will want to
draw a line under the affair before Dennis Wise's side travel to Tranmere for their
opening game.

"The Football League Board agreed that, notwithstanding the manner in which
this administration has been conducted, the club should be permitted to continue
in the Football League," the League said.

"Consequently, the board have decided to make use of the 'exceptional
circumstances' provision within the League's insolvency policy, for the first time,
and agreed to transfer the club's share in the Football League to Leeds United
2007 Ltd. However, it is acknowledged the club did go into administration and
has been unable to comply with the terms of the League's well-established
insolvency policy.

"As a result, the board determined this transfer of membership should be subject
to... a 15-point deduction."

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch I say

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
its been so comedy watching leeds go from champ league semi finalists to this over a pretty short period of time lol!! Long may it continue!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Think of the grass roots fans. You lot were not happy when your new owners had taken over, but I would say It's a kick in the B*lls for bates,which is funny

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red but not Dead said:
Think of the grass roots fans. You lot were not happy when your new owners had taken over, but I would say It's a kick in the B*lls for bates,which is funny
We have many discussions about the Glazers here. I have kind of split views on this to be honest but everyhting looks good for us right now.

How is Hicks/Gillett welcomed at your team ?

Do most of fans like these guys or do you have fears about them huh :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you are right there carlyluvsunited. We will have to wait & see & I don't think alot of the fans are happy that they have put the club into debt as its a bit like your owners. Only time will tell

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red but not Dead said:
I think you are right there carlyluvsunited. We will have to wait & see & I don't think alot of the fans are happy that they have put the club into debt as its a bit like your owners. Only time will tell
Well this is it - personally I think you guys with Gillett and Hicks will be OK - I just cant understand how the fans can even start to be happy for this new stadium. After all the great times they have in the Kop - to move away from this will not be too nice for them - For United to leave Old Traffords there will be riots in the streets I think !!! :eek:

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Well this is it - personally I think you guys with Gillett and Hicks will be OK - I just cant understand how the fans can even start to be happy for this new stadium. After all the great times they have in the Kop - to move away from this will not be too nice for them - For United to leave Old Traffords there will be riots in the streets I think !!! :eek:

Seriously Carly, next time Glazers come to England they would be shot if that went through! Besides that wont be happening, OT best stadium in the world =]

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I wonder if Leeds can break the record Lancaster City set last season.

They had 10 points deducted for going into administration and only gained 11 points all season so finished with 1 point.

Can Leeds finish on 0 points? Or, funnier still, on negative points?!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Justice said:
Seriously Carly, next time Glazers come to England they would be shot if that went through! Besides that wont be happening, OT best stadium in the world =]
This is what I say too - It would never enter into any conversation with anyone connected to United.....

I am very, very surprised the Liverpool fans will let this happen to their ground too !!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
This is what I say too - It would never enter into any conversation with anyone connected to United.....

I am very, very surprised the Liverpool fans will let this happen to their ground too !!!
It would be more of a surprise for United to express an interest in a new stadium because no matter how 'modern' and 'ground-breaking' the design for Liverpool's new stadium is the main reason for it is the increased capacity.

More people = more money

We already have a stadium with a capacity of 76000 and there is the scope to increase the capacity to 100000.

I think fans were more worried that under the Glazers we'd end up renaming Old Trafford as The McDonalds Stadium or Microsoft Stadium or something!

·
Registered
788 Posts
reddwarf said:
It would be more of a surprise for United to express an interest in a new stadium because no matter how 'modern' and 'ground-breaking' the design for Liverpool's new stadium is the main reason for it is the increased capacity.

More people = more money

We already have a stadium with a capacity of 76000 and there is the scope to increase the capacity to 100000.

I think fans were more worried that under the Glazers we'd end up renaming Old Trafford as The McDonalds Stadium or Microsoft Stadium or something!
'
To get the ground to 100'000 at least fifty residential properties behind the south stand would have to be demolished for any expansion to be possible, They could easy build over the rail way line,

Would love to see O.T at 100'000

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Justice said:
OT with a tenth of a million people in it.....

Jesus Christ its just not normal!
I go to Camp Nou and they have 105,000 people inside it was really brilliant too.....now they cut this to 99,000 maybe but still very good experience.

Does anyone know how big Old Trafford can become ?

Maybe more than 100,000 !!!!

How big ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts