Manchester United Talk banner

801 - 820 of 844 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
More than anything I feel Baines would want this move more than anyone else and that should be make this deal done. He has the world cup spot up for grabs and playing in CL will enhance his credentials.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The M.E.N is reporting that it will cost United 20mil to get Baines. I know he is 28 and it's a lot of money, but I think I would pay that amount, he really would add to our attack. 20mil for United is peanuts, have we even spent the 80mil we got for Ronaldo yet?
Watching Ronaldo yesterday I could not help thinking we got hosed in that deal, think we gave him away at 80mil.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts
@TFIA Evra will be offerred an extension. Do you honestly think we're holding on to Fabio because his twin plays for us?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
The M.E.N is reporting that it will cost United 20mil to get Baines. I know he is 28 and it's a lot of money, but I think I would pay that amount, he really would add to our attack. 20mil for United is peanuts, have we even spent the 80mil we got for Ronaldo yet?
Watching Ronaldo yesterday I could not help thinking we got hosed in that deal, think we gave him away at 80mil.
I said at the time he went cheap. Should've demanded £100m for him at least. They'd have paid anything to get him. We practically gave him away when you look at what he's been like since he left! (And when you consider how much Bale went for, and he's half the player Ron is)

But it WAS cheap when you consider he was officially the best player in the world at the time and he was ONLY 24!!!
Blimey you can win a Young Player of the year award at 24 in this country! Fergie said in 2007 (when he was 22) he didn't think Ron would even start to hit his peak til he was about 26,
He was right. He's 28 and still the best in the world. Makes you weep that we lost him when he WAS only 24!

20m for Baines? In 2013/14 for an England international, that's not a mad amount, whether some people like it or not.

Burt I'll only believe a fee when it's actually paid, for someone in a transfer window!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I said at the time he went cheap. Should've demanded £100m for him at least. They'd have paid anything to get him. We practically gave him away when you look at what he's been like since he left!

But it WAS cheap when you consider he was officially the best player in the world at the time and he was ONLY 24!!!
Blimey you can win a Young Player of the year award at 24 in this country! Fergie said in 2007 (when he was 22) he didn't think Ron would even start to hit his peak til he was about 26,
He was right. He's 28 and still the best in the world. Makes you weep that we lost him when he WAS only 24!

20m for Baines? In 2013/14 for an England international, that's not a mad amount, whether some people like it or not.

Burt I'll only believe a fee when it's actually paid, for someone in a transfer window!
You can argue 20mil is too much because of his age, but what did we pay for RVP. I tend to agree with you that 20mil for an England international and perhaps the best left back at least in Europe is not a stretch.
Watching Ronaldo single handedly beat Sweden broke my heart, thinking he once played for us, his hunger and desire to score are equal to his ability to do so, I can't think of another player in the world who can score like him.

·
Hi
7,245 Posts
You can argue 20mil is too much because of his age, but what did we pay for RVP. I tend to agree with you that 20mil for an England international and perhaps the best left back at least in Europe is not a stretch.
Watching Ronaldo single handedly beat Sweden broke my heart, thinking he once played for us, his hunger and desire to score are equal to his ability to do so, I can't think of another player in the world who can score like him.
The extra fees are to pay for 48fps tv's for silly people who want Baines here.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Could be out until the New Year with a broken toe according to The Guardian.

I love Everton's verdict on how long he could be out.

"Anything from 10 days to 6 weeks"

Even the guy on the radio reading that out sounded bemused! :LOL:

But they think he could be back for 'the busy festive programme' apparently.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
Is that the end of his Everton career?
Hope not. If we do sign him it'd be far better if he was fully fit. So hopefully he'll come back just before the festive programme. make the switch to United early in the New Year and be raring to go.

At least he won't be playing at OT against us next month.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
I love Everton's verdict on how long he could be out.

"Anything from 10 days to 6 weeks"

Even the guy on the radio reading that out sounded bemused! :LOL:

But they think he could be back for 'the busy festive programme' apparently.
I assume that's pending a scan then.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
At today's press conference Moyes was asked...

Will you go back for Leighton Baines in January?

"If they [Everton] are determined to hold on to him then he can't be going anywhere, so it is worthless asking me the question."

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
At today's press conference Moyes was asked...

Will you go back for Leighton Baines in January?

"If they [Everton] are determined to hold on to him then he can't be going anywhere, so it is worthless asking me the question."
that would be a yes otherwise he would have said, no I am not. Sounds to me like it's not worth it another protracted negotiation.

·
The Bearded Madman
2,748 Posts
that would be a yes otherwise he would have said, no I am not. Sounds to me like it's not worth it another protracted negotiation.
After this summers transfer fiascos, you wont be getting anything out of Moyes when it comes to bringing in new players, trust me. He'd better try and keep in under wraps like Fergie used to.

·
Succumbing to Ennui under Moyes
8,440 Posts
Baines is too old. Let him stay at Everton. £20 million for a left back who is 29 is ridiculous. Leave him be.
Unfortunately this wont deter Moyes. I see United paying 25 million for him and failing to land a proper CM yet again.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
After this summers transfer fiascos, you wont be getting anything out of Moyes when it comes to bringing in new players, trust me. He'd better try and keep in under wraps like Fergie used to.
I think it would be the smartest thing for him to do, we are linked with so many players and in the summer he just talked too much, perhaps he felt he needed the fans to know he was working on something, but as long as we stop chasing ghosts and focus on the right players he'll be fine, I just wish we had someone other than Woodward to back him up.

801 - 820 of 844 Posts