Manchester United Talk banner

821 - 840 of 844 Posts

·
The Bearded Madman
2,748 Posts
Unfortunately this wont deter Moyes. I see United paying 25 million for him and failing to land a proper CM yet again.
Ah, Lou, I don't even want to hear that. £50 million on Baines and Fellaini? I'd sack him on principle alone. lol. I don't even think that we are in such desperation for a new left back anyway. Not at this stage of the season, any road. It's best that Moyes waits to the World Cup is over and see what nit pickings he can pick up then. £25 million for Baines is a joke.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Unfortunately this wont deter Moyes. I see United paying 25 million for him and failing to land a proper CM yet again.
I don't see us doing a lot of business in the January window, especially a significant CM player. Baines I could see only because Moyes worked with him at everton and it would be a seamless transition one would expect anyone else would be difficult to slot in. Perhaps this Ryan Gauld or a Will Hughes type??

·
The Bearded Madman
2,748 Posts
I think it would be the smartest thing for him to do, we are linked with so many players and in the summer he just talked too much, perhaps he felt he needed the fans to know he was working on something, but as long as we stop chasing ghosts and focus on the right players he'll be fine, I just wish we had someone other than Woodward to back him up.
True Red, but half of theses players he tried to sign it was like we had to force them to come to OT. Like Fabregas for instance. He was never going to sign for us. I bet when he played for Arsenal, half of his teams mates hated United's success back then so for Fabregas to sign United would be like him shitting outside Wenger's manager office.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
25 million for Baines is a lot of money, but if he comes in and helps us to a title or a top 3 finish or a long run in the CL, the money would be recouped quickly. Look at Ronaldo, 80mil but what has he brought to RM inrevenue, I'm not comparing the 2 by any stretch, sometimes you have to look at the business side also.

·
The Bearded Madman
2,748 Posts
25 million for Baines is a lot of money, but if he comes in and helps us to a title or a top 3 finish or a long run in the CL, the money would be recouped quickly. Look at Ronaldo, 80mil but what has he brought to RM inrevenue, I'm not comparing the 2 by any stretch, sometimes you have to look at the business side also.
I can understand what you are saying about recouping money, but it's not as if anyone at our club are eating out of the local dustbins. £80m for Ronaldo and where has the money gone?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
True Red, but half of theses players he tried to sign it was like we had to force them to come to OT. Like Fabregas for instance. He was never going to sign for us. I bet when he played for Arsenal, half of his teams mates hated United's success back then so for Fabregas to sign United would be like him shitting outside Wenger's managers office.
Chasing Fabregas was futile and a monumental waste of time, not only that we lack a box to box mf'r and speed and skill on the outside more than we needed Cesc. Strootman would have been a better buy imo, but the transition from SA to Moyes was so poorly handled, I think Strootman just gave up waiting for United.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I can understand what you are saying about recouping money, but it's not as if anyone at our club are eating out of the local dustbins. £80m for Ronaldo and where has the money gone?
True and United have to realize that because they are a big club with deep pockets, teams are not going to give players away on the cheap, we over pay for almost everyone we buy, it's the nature of the beast, and we have to accept that, so stop penny pinching and do the business.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Money went straight to the bottom line. Say what you like about the Glazers but they are shrewd business men, what other club could they have bought with so much borrowed money and still have the success without spending a lot of money. Chelsea..no, City...no. What did they pay, 800 mil and United are now worth 1.5 or something.
They must have kissed SAF's ass 24 hours a day.

·
Moyes Out
754 Posts
Chasing Fabregas was futile and a monumental waste of time, not only that we lack a box to box mf'r and speed and skill on the outside more than we needed Cesc. Strootman would have been a better buy imo, but the transition from SA to Moyes was so poorly handled, I think Strootman just gave up waiting for United.
This was the crux of the matter. Moyes had to come in, learn about how things work, change his backroom staff, and try to get in players "cold", all in 2 months. The Fellaini thing was a grab at a player, who he knew would come, as all the others, for one thing or another, didnt come here, and he hoped wouldnt leave him with "egg on his face". I think this summer will be a lot different now he has had time to plan, and has got "his legs under the table".

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This was the crux of the matter. Moyes had to come in, learn about how things work, change his backroom staff, and try to get in players "cold", all in 2 months. The Fellaini thing was a grab at a player, who he knew would come, as all the others, for one thing or another, didnt come here, and he hoped wouldnt leave him with "egg on his face". I think this summer will be a lot different now he has had time to plan, and has got "his legs under the table".
I hope so, but there can be know messing about trying to buy players on the cheap.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hope so, but there can be know messing about trying to buy players on the cheap.
In the past if we have identified a player that can have a major impact for years to come we have spent big, im not really sure who we could buy that would have that sort of impact ?? however if there is someone that we could build our midfield around for the next 10 years ,money should be no object

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Even with Fellaini it nearly didn't happen! It was a last minute (practically last second!) thing, because he put in a transfer request very late on, in order to push the transfer through.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Reading some of these posts with disbelief. 25 million for a left back? No bleeding way not even for the best left back in the world would I pay that, not even with Citeh's cash.
What we need is a midfield boss and a midfield artist, a Keane and a Scholes in other words. I could play left back if we had a central pairing as good as those two were.
Everton can get stuffed,they fleeced us enough getting 27 mill. for Fellaini.
To hell with January, tough it out this season and get Gundogan next summer.

·
Tormund FTW!
1,916 Posts
What a load of tosh. Other big clubs have changed managers / backroom staff and not completely gone to pot in the transfer market, so it shouldn't be used as an excuse for us. It was just a very poor showing from Moyes and Woodward, and it shouldn't be dressed up as anything else.

·
Never argue with an idiot
2,463 Posts
Martinez yesterday "Everton are in their strongest financial position for years and don't have to sell in January". The law of unforeseen consequences? We give them £27m for Fellaini, make them stronger so they can hold out and try and screw us over for Baines. If they demand one penny over £15m we should walk away from it and not waste the whole of January getting fucked around.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Reading some of these posts with disbelief. 25 million for a left back? No bleeding way not even for the best left back in the world would I pay that, not even with Citeh's cash.
What we need is a midfield boss and a midfield artist, a Keane and a Scholes in other words. I could play left back if we had a central pairing as good as those two were.
Everton can get stuffed,they fleeced us enough getting 27 mill. for Fellaini.
To hell with January, tough it out this season and get Gundogan next summer.
I think we all know that we need another Scholes/Keane combo, and have for some time. Is Baines worth 25mil, no not on the face of it, but we can't expect to buy players on United's valuation only and far more has to go into quantifying the price we pay for a player, than he's not worth 25mil.
I doubt we will buy anyone in January, not anyone of significance, Baines is arguably one of the best LB's in the world, unfortunately United are one of the richest clubs in the world and we have spent the past few seasons losing out on players because they do not meet out valuation.
If Evra gets injured we are in trouble, we need cover for him, Buttner or DaSilva are not the answer, whether we have anyone else I don't know, so if we have to spend 25mil to get Baines so be it, we still have not spent all the Ronaldo money, have we?
27mil for Fellaini I suspect included payment for poaching Moyes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What a load of tosh. Other big clubs have changed managers / backroom staff and not completely gone to pot in the transfer market, so it shouldn't be used as an excuse for us. It was just a very poor showing from Moyes and Woodward, and it shouldn't be dressed up as anything else.
Totally disagree, which clubs? City, they have a director of football do they not, Chelsea, the mad russian does their transfer business, who did Chelsea bring in of any significance.
Moyes had very little time to identify targets and bring them in, he made mistakes no question.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Baines is a decent left back with a decent left foot. He is not a great defender and he is definetly not one of the best left backs in the world.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Baines is a decent left back with a decent left foot. He is not a great defender and he is definetly not one of the best left backs in the world.
Statistically I think you'll find he is, I'm not saying he is the best defensively though, but his stats are equal to Evra in that category. It's a moot point I can't see him leaving everton, but I'll take him over Evra.

821 - 840 of 844 Posts