Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
KingSingh said:
Your point about clubs with this kind of turnover regularly underachieving i disagree with. Look at liverpool who won the ECL two years ago and the FA cup last year or at the current ECL champions Barca, their player turnover has resulted in success on the field.
Those two clubs both neatly fit the pigeon-holes provided. Barca of course have the pulling power to pretty much buy at will, but I'd also suggest they've been punching significantly under their weight in recent years.

Liverpool epitomise the issue. Sure they got lucky in the one ECL - worth noting that they came within a whisker of being eliminated in the group that year, and in truth they should have been - but they've struggled to punch anything like their weight in Europe, while domestically they've been lamentable. In the last ten years they've had just two campaigns topping the 70 point mark, as often as they've failed to even reach 60.

·
Since 1976
2,233 Posts
It goes without saying they are better options, but we are talking emergency reserve cover, not first team players. The point is there is absolutely nothing left between the first team and the academy. This would be a problem at the best of times, but with a thin first team it is a potential disaster if we get injuries in that department.

We have to turn to Ronaldo et al as our option if just one player goes down, and considering we are talking about injury prone Saha and suspension prone Rooney that isn’t exactly a rare occurrence. Take out just two or three of our forwards and option midfielders at once and already you are struggling to have an option on the bench. The trouble with banking on Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo is they are also needed elsewhere.

I’d have no worries if we still had one of Ebanks-Blake or Johnson on the books - although I’d still have major issues with the balance as we’ve previously discussed - but leaving us with nothing at all beneath the first team squad is just plain negligence on Ferguson’s part. Saha, Smith and Rooney might all stay fit and available until Yule, but if they do it is a case of us getting away with it. It is tempting fate; as Newcastle have demonstrated injuries have a nasty habit of turning up where you can least handle them.
controversial even then but no points or likes lol you have Come far old son:)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.