Manchester United Talk banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lucho is out for 5 weeks!!!! :bye2:
Booh hooh ;)

Anyways, tonight, Paços de Ferreira went to Amadora to win 0-2, and get 3 important points in their fight against relegation.

But the biggest news is that, in a general assembly held tonight, Sporting Clube de Portugal's members rejected a finantial restructure that would further deplete assets from the club to it's main business company, Sporting SAD (SAD means Anonymous Sporting Society). Since our clubs are non-profit organizations, in essence, most of them went restructuring and created these SADs in order to be legalized, so to speak, and to have access to laws, tax policies, and other things that clubs alone don't have. The club, Sporting Clube de Portugal has always belonged to it's members, and always will, BUT while, for the moment, the SAD belongs to the club, that may not always be so, and by further transfering assets from the club to the SAD, the club is regging poorer and poorer. Tonight, the proposed bill to transfer the Academy and the company that handles sponsorships and TV rights from the control of the club to the SAD was blocked by a minority of members that don't want the allienation that is going on between club and members to continue. Such an important vote required 75% majority, but it only got 72%, which means that maybe time was bought for alternatives to step up and change this direction, that clearly will remove the club from the members in the future.

The future is still bleak, but maybe, just maybe there's light ahead...

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, 2 more games to report on tonight.

In the duel for 4th place, Nacional and Braga drew 1-1, so everything stays the same, and, if benfica win this sunday in Setúbal (unlikely, but we'll see), they'll gain a bit more breathing space for 3rd place.

In the 2nd game, Sporting had a tough away match at Guimarães, with 5 players injured, so we started with 7 home grown players (Patrício, Carriço, Moutinho, Veloso, Adrien, Pereirinha and Caneira) and 4 Brazilians (Polga, Pedro Silva, Derlei and Liedson). A very exciting 1st half, with Sporting dominating, hitting the woodwork twice, having a goal (badly, some say) dissalowed, and a couple of good saves from the Guimarães keeper. Guimarães weren't completely harmless, and had a couple of good chances to score as well, but result at half time clearly penalized Sporting's inacuracy.
The 2nd half started much more balanced, with Guimarães trying to balance the game, and having lady luck smile on them, taking the lead in their 1st chance in the 2nd half, by Roberto. After that, Sporting went on the offensive, and guimarães could have sealed the game in a few dangerous, but badly handled counter attacks.
As the saying goes, those that don't score, suffer, and on the 81st minute, Sporting finally drew level with a header from Derlei after a free kick from substitute Ronny. Sporting continued to press on, and got their just reward at the 89th minute, when Derlei found Liedson with no opposition to score the winner in a great comeback that now puts pressure on both porto (just 1 point ahead) and benfica (7 points behind) to win their matches.

So lets see how things go sunday, porto playing in Coimbra against académica, and benfica going to Setúbal to play against the local vitória.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
Ut oh i detect tension between Sporting4ever and Portofan :p Sporting can you tell me about Moutinho? Do you think he would move to city and would he suit the english game? Any new players that United can grab coming through :p Also who has been your star man this season, Portofan can you answer that too? Wow thats a lot of questions!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ut oh i detect tension between Sporting4ever and Portofan :p Sporting can you tell me about Moutinho? Do you think he would move to city and would he suit the english game? Any new players that United can grab coming through :p Also who has been your star man this season, Portofan can you answer that too? Wow thats a lot of questions!
Not tension, just some friendly banter ;)

Moutinho to city...? don't know... possibly. As for suiting the english game, yes, I think he would. He's a very good box to box midfielder, hardly plays badly, but lots of times goes unnoticed. Good positionning, recovers a lot of balls, good passing, overall, a pretty much complete midfielder. He might lack a bit in physical presence, but he's got stamina and pace to make up for it. In 4 and a half years of 1st team football, he's NEVER missed a game through injuries, and seldom through bookings. In fact, he's gonna miss the next game after getting his 5th yellow this season, and he had 4 for something like 15 or 16 games... Extremely regular.
As for anything United might need, possibly Veloso, but not the way he played this season. He's a good friend of Nani, so it might help settle both of them, but his season was bad.
Our star player is Liedson, has been for a while.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
3 more results from today:

Rio Ave 2-1 Trofense
Marítimo 1-1 Belenenses
Académica 0-3 FC Porto

porto's game was quite interesting, since Raul Meireles blatantly stopped a shot with his arm inside the penalty area, normally a penalty kick and red card, but things work differently for porto players, and the ref, about 10 yards away and with a clear view, ignored it.

Then, in the 2nd half, porto took advantage of 2 mistakes to score twice in 3 minutes, and sealed the win.

I wonder of portofan is gonna comment on that, because I'd really wonder if porto would've come back from behind with 10 men...

So in 15 minutes, it's benfica's time to play, and I wonder wat's gonna happen... I have a feeling I know, but let's see.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's amazing how some teams play their hearts out against one opponent, to get trashed by another one...

benfica won 0-4 tonight, so, with a game still to play tomorrow, leixões vs naval, everything at the top is pretty much the same...

:sleep::sleep:

·
Registered
39 Posts
3 more results from today:

Rio Ave 2-1 Trofense
Marítimo 1-1 Belenenses
Académica 0-3 FC Porto

porto's game was quite interesting, since Raul Meireles blatantly stopped a shot with his arm inside the penalty area, normally a penalty kick and red card, but things work differently for porto players, and the ref, about 10 yards away and with a clear view, ignored it.

Then, in the 2nd half, porto took advantage of 2 mistakes to score twice in 3 minutes, and sealed the win.

I wonder of portofan is gonna comment on that, because I'd really wonder if porto would've come back from behind with 10 men...

So in 15 minutes, it's benfica's time to play, and I wonder wat's gonna happen... I have a feeling I know, but let's see.
Well Its true... it sould have been penalty.
Nothing to say about that.
Some games the decisions are against Porto, so... its football!!!

Porto is in good shape to get the 4th league in 4 years!!!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well Its true... it sould have been penalty.
Nothing to say about that.
Some games the decisions are against Porto, so... its football!!!

Porto is in good shape to get the 4th league in 4 years!!!
Very few games have decisions against porto...
Anyways, if he'd given the penalty and sent Raul off, you think porto would have come back? With the extra boost of moral, Académica weren't really playing that bad, and they had won at luz...

Fucile is back to trainnings at 100%!

Great News.
You don't really need him now... Maybe for the Braga game. You did need him last wednesday, I think...

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So another week is over in the League, and Leixões continue their fall, losing 1-0 to Naval. What might have looked like a surprise european spot for the recently promoted side is now getting more and more difficult, with marítimo just one point behind them.

complete week 25 results:

E. Amadora 0-2 P. Ferreira
Nacional 1-1 Sp. Braga
V. Guimarães 1-2 Sporting
Marítimo 1-1 Belenenses
Rio Ave 2-1 Trofense
Académica 0-3 F.C. Porto
V. Setúbal 0-4 Benfica
Naval 1-0 Leixões

Standings:
Clubs Points Played
1. FC Porto 57 25
2. Sporting 53 25
3. Benfica 49 25
4. Nacional 43 25
5. Sp. Braga 42 25
6. Leixões 38 25
7. Marítimo 37 25
8. Académica 31 25
9. V. Guimarães 31 25
10. P. Ferreira 27 25
11. E. Amadora 27 25
12. Naval 27 25
13. V. Setúbal 22 25
14. Belenenses 21 25
15. Rio Ave 20 25
16. Trofense 19 25

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hulk will be out for the rest of the season because of a killer foul!!!

:( :bye2:
Yeah...

You know, if you didn't have bruto alves playing on your team, I might be a bit more simpathetic...

Anyways, braga won 1-0 at home against trofense and are temporarily in 4th position 4 points behind benfica, which plays at home too, and since they've lost their last 2 home games, they might want to redeem themselves...

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yesterday, Braga once again drew 0-0, this time at Rio Ave. It seems that the gas as run out on them...
Earlier today, we played at Coimbra against Académica, and also drew scoreless, weak game on our part.
right now, benfica are playing away against Nacional and they're lossing 2-1. If that happens, they'll be 5 points behind with 3 games to go, which will pretty much seal it, and also, Nacional closes to 3 points behind benfica, which puts their 3rd place at risk.

EDIT:

Nacional 3-1 benfica

Nacional scored the 3rd in stoppage time, and sealed benfica's fate. If porto win tomorrow, they'll be mathematically out of the tittle, and nacional, with this win, is now 3 points shy of benfica and have them under pressure. Sporting, despite the draw, now have 5 points on benfica, but if porto win tomorrow, the title will almost certainly be decided, they'll have 6 points, with 3 games to play...

• Standings:
    Clubs Points Played
    1. FC Porto 60 26
    2. Sporting 57 27
    3. Benfica 52 27
    4. Nacional 49 27
    5. Sp. Braga 46 27
    6. Leixões 39 26
    7. Marítimo 37 26
    8. Académica 33 27
    9. V. Guimarães 32 26
    10. P. Ferreira 28 26
    11. E. Amadora 27 26
    12. Naval 27 26
    13. Rio Ave 24 27
    14. V. Setúbal 22 26
    15. Belenenses 21 26
    16. Trofense 19 26

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Luckily Benfica lost. Seems as though you have wrapped up your CL spot which is the main thing.
It wasn't luck. In fact, it's luck on their part they've even lasted this long. That club is on a roler-coaster dive and has been for years now, and until their mentality changes, it's gonna keep on going down.

Anyways, porto are winning at Madeira 3-0 at the moment, so it's pretty much a rap. 6 point gap with 3 games to play...

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok, 3 games played so far, Guimarães lost to a struggling Rio Ave yesterday, benfica drew 2-2 at home with Trofense and Sporting won 2-1 against Setúbal, with 2 goals from Liedson, and secured the 2nd place and the Champions League Qualifying for next season. If porto win tomorrow, however, they're champions.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Presuming Porto win tomorrow and take the title how happy are you with how the season has gone?
Securing the CL is vital for many reasons in Portugal, presumably things us United fans take for granted.
Obviously the financial reasons but the ability to attract better players to your club and of course retaining a few of them as well?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Presuming Porto win tomorrow and take the title how happy are you with how the season has gone?
Securing the CL is vital for many reasons in Portugal, presumably things us United fans take for granted.
Obviously the financial reasons but the ability to attract better players to your club and of course retaining a few of them as well?
Not very happy. This is one of the weakest porto sides in the last years and still we didn't manage to beat them. We played lousy this year, strugling to get results, it's year 4 with this manager and the team's football is the same monotonous, boring thing it's been.
2nd place is important, although we don't secure the CL, we'll go to the qualifying rounds, and next season, those are gonna be tougher. We'll have to see who we come up against before beeing optimistic and thinking about cash we might not get.

As for attracting and/or retaining players because we play in the CL, it doesn't matter that much, really. Anyone comes up with a bigger offer and they're all whinning to leave, be they relegation teams or whatever... That's the sort of thing we have to change around here. Players come here to show themselves and move "upward", while they should be coming here to do their job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Porto are champions. !!!

Congratulations Porto...

Congratulations Jesualdo...
Congratulations Lisandro...
Congratulations Hulk...
Congratulations Lucho....
Congratulations Bruno Alves....
Congratulations to all.

Next year we must go for the champions league!!! :mf_tongue: