Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love him or loathe him or just a neutral like me, you just can't ignore him.

Mind-boggling number of goals he has scored, now surpassing Pele's record of 75 goals in a calendar year last stood at 1958 and gunning for the all-time record of Gerd Mueller's at 85. With one and the half month to go before the year ends, it is entirely doable.

Just astounding and deserves more than a mention.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/lionel-messi-passes-pele-with-only-gerd-mueller-to-beat-for-scoring-milestone/story-fn63e0vj-1226515411291

LIONEL Messi surpassed Pele's milestone of goals in a calendar year by scoring for the 75th and 76th time to move within nine of Gerd Mueller's all-time record, as Barcelona won 4-2 at Mallorca in the Spanish league yesterday.

Xavi Hernandez unlocked Mallorca's defence with a free kick in the 28th minute before Messi struck in the 44th. Cristian Tello added a third goal a minute later at Iberostar stadium.

After Mallorca netted twice early in the second half to breathe life into the match, Messi stepped up to score again in the 70th to ensure victory as Barcelona rebounded from its loss at Celtic in the Champions League.

"Leo's records are spectacular," said Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova. "It's spectacular when you think that he scores so many goals. So few players reach these numbers in seven or eight seasons, he does it in one. And most of his goals are great goals."

Yesterday's achievement was the latest scoring feat for the Argentina forward, one of the leading candidates for the Ballon D'Or. Messi scored 73 goals in the 2011-12 season for Barcelona, passing the previous European club record of 67 goals, also set by Mueller in 1972-73.

He also set a Spanish league record of 50 goals last season and passed Cesar Rodriguez's 57-year milestone of 232 goals to become Barcelona's all-time leading scorer.

AP

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
His records are second to none and proves that he is a phenomenon ,but at same time he is under huge pressure in
In Argentina cos the majority of their fans and pundits don't gives a s***t how good he is for Barca in Spain and CL. They want from him to lead the International squad to the WC trophy or even to reach a WC final .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/27/lionel-messi-argentina
fill sorry for the lad

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Messi just scored another brace yesterday at Camp Nou and now just one goal away.... That was fast and we are just entering December.

Lionel Messi moved to within one of Gerd Muller's record haul of 85 goals in a calendar year with a brace in Barcelona's 5-1 demolition of Athletic Bilbao.

·
Veritas vos liberabit
10,006 Posts
Ronaldo will always have one thing on Messi, he's tested himself in different leagues.

fyi: Messi is downplaying this himself by saying it's taken him more games than Muller

edit: not sure i can find a source/quote for the above comment.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Nice draft team. I admire and envy your footballing knowledge stretching further than 3 years ago.
You're football knowledge is laughable. Van Persie not world class, Messi the third best player in the world, Walker better than Rafael.

Don't talk to me about football knowledge when you come out with those ridiculous things.

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
You're football knowledge is laughable. Van Persie not world class, Messi the third best player in the world, Walker better than Rafael.

Don't talk to me about football knowledge when you come out with those ridiculous things.
Why not make your own banter instead of constantly stealing others?

Just proves what a boring, humourless, uncreative idiot you really are.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts

I rate Walker higher than Rafael too tbh.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts