Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who else watched Manchester City Vs Liverpool? Who else was experiencing what Psychologists call "Mixed Emotions"?

The first half I was laughing my behind off. Liverpool 2 - 0 down to City it was priceless! :D and yet there was that nagging feeling...

I kind of admire Liverpool at times... don't hate me... plus I can't really feel too great when the team doing the damage is none other than our beloved neighbors.

So my happiness was tempered, you could say. Like someone stealing my ice cream & then spilling it on themselves.

Sure it feels like justice at first because they did steal it but then you realise neither of you has any ice cream and it kinda stinks.

Still I resolved to stick it through. Torres seemed to be struggling, at least by his high standards. Then the game got good.

2nd half. My happiness was by now gone rather like a villager who's seen the local tyrant killed only to realise the new tyrant is even worse.

Torres started taking shots. Yay! Still couldn't get through but a marked improvement. Gerrard was still peripheral, strangely.

Straight red to Zabaleta for trying to break Alonso in half. Then the game got great. Holy smoking cow batman, Torres is back!

More importantly City looked a different team, or should I say a familiar team. Clueless, dominated, frightened. Normal business resumed.

So finally Arbeloa, not so bad, sent in a low cross which Torres bundled into the net pretty much falling into the net himself in the process.

Not one for the scrapbook but they all count. The look on Robinho's face was priceless. It was like he's just realised what's he's done to his career.

That look alone was enough to make my day but City couldn't be allowed to win. It was a matter of principal. Luckily the footballing god's heard me.

City forgot how to defend & a Gerrard corner saw Torres put it into the back of the net with all the time and space in the world.

2 - 2. Hmm. Good enough? Both out rivals humiliating the other. Liverpool should've won. City gave up a 2 goal lead. Tempting. But no.

No City needed to be taught a lesson. Frankly I wish we'd been the ones to teach them but I'll take what I get.

Now what happened next is something even I found hard to believe. Once every 60 years Halley's comet zooms around the earth.

What happened today was even rarer than that. Kuyt scored. I looked heavenwards half expecting to see the planets all aligned

and pigs flying about with tiny angel wings. Nope. I guess one miracle fulfilled the quote for today.

So there you have it. City @ home 2 - 0 to the good. First they lose Zabaleta. Then they lose the lead. Then they lose the match.

Who said good things come in three's? Did they deserve to win. I don't know, to be honest. They were lucky as lucky can be.

Zabaleta deserved the card but still, ever noticed how fortune seems to flow their way? That ball dropping to Kuyt could've been heaven sent.

Torres unmarked for the header. Somebody up there likes them. Or somebody up there hates City. I knew Robinho shouldn't have called himself a god. :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Boro
United
City

all games they got 3 points and Im not sure how.
They have all the luck in the world though it will run out.
Maybe it is their year? ;-)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I am so gutted right now. I really think they're going to finish ahead of us this season and maybe win the league.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
I am so gutted right now. I really think they're going to finish ahead of us this season and maybe win the league.
Lmao :D are you for real?
Silliest post I have read in ages.
Come back to this thread after Xmas and you will see why ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
abojodeh said:
don't the scouse luck finish at Christmas ? :D
Can't agree more.

Yeah they won the game. I was having dinner at a restaurant and one friend messaged me that Manchester City 2-0 Liverpool and 60 minutes gone and I couldn't believe it. When I finally came home and saw the final score I couldn't believe that either. Liverpool do seem to have got all the luck in the world at this moment but it will run out soon.

And all those who think they will finish ahead of us just forget about it.

Z

·
0 Posts
City just have the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :D

It's a shame it was Liverpool that benefited, but it'll keep our nearest rivals quiet for a week or so.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
yeah probably.

but more so - Kuyt is the luckiest player I have EVER seen.

He has 0 ability, the only good thing about him is that he runs. but he always scores and scores important goals! its ridiculous

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Not even in my dream mate.

Believe me in april you'll see them fighting for 4th place lol.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
They are extremely lucky, and before anyone say's "we come back from behind all the time", there is a big difference.

Playing poorly, getting battered for 89 minutes but some how keeping a clean sheet, then scoring a lucky goal in the last minute - thats luck.

Playing ok, but still creating chance after chance, missing them all, getting bad decisions all game, opposing keeper playing a blinder, then in the final minute you get a goal - that is spirit.

For example, last season vs Blackburn away - that was spirit, wheras the 1-0 at Anfield with O'Shea's winner - thats luck.

They seem to be getting a lot of that right now. Its also remarkable how often the opposing defence seems to gift them chances, despite not being under much pressure. Vs Standard Leige (?) in the CL qualifier was a good example of this.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
No Jazz mate. This year I really believe the Dippers have something and I think in May I'll be bringing that comment up again. They have been **** so far and are still top, so if / when they hit top form , I think Torres and Gerrard will rip the Prem to ****.... The only way I can see us winning the league is if Ronaldo hits 30 + goals, which seems like it will be a difficult task. Are you seriously telling me that after showing that amount of bottle, you still don't believe they can challenge ?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
No Jazz mate. This year I really believe the Dippers have something and I think in May I'll be bringing that comment up again. They have been **** so far and are still top, so if / when they hit top form , I think Torres and Gerrard will rip the Prem to ****.... The only way I can see us winning the league is if Ronaldo hits 30 + goals, which seems like it will be a difficult task. Are you seriously telling me that after showing that amount of bottle, you still don't believe they can challenge ?
There is NO chance they will finish in the top 2. Id bet my house on it.
They have been lucky so far, very lucky. People think we have had a bad start
but its been fine imo. Just say we would win our game in hand (Fulham at home)
we would only be 3 points behind Liverpool.
Out of the 6 games we have played 4 have been away,
Chelsea, Pool, Pompey and Blackburn, which are pretty much the 4 hardest
places to go. We have the easier fixtures come teh second half of the season.
Pool go to Chelsea in a few weeks so we will see how good they are then.
We can come back to this thread after Xmas and you will be proved wrong.
I cant believe you are even considering Pool as title contenders.
the top 4 can be disected even more. Its really the top 2 and then Arse and Pool.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ya we have had difficult games but imo they have had harder ones . They've played us at home, Everton , Villa, City and Sunderland all away. Like us they have played 4 away games. I just think they have a better team this year. Riera is the best winger they've had in ages. And Skrtel has really matured also. Altough I do think Keano has been crap so far. I also think players like Anderson, Nani and Rooney need to chip in with more goals this year , otherwise wer fooked tbh.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
There is NO chance they will finish in the top 2. Id bet my house on it.
They have been lucky so far, very lucky. People think we have had a bad start
but its been fine imo. Just say we would win our game in hand (Fulham at home)
we would only be 3 points behind Liverpool.
Out of the 6 games we have played 4 have been away,
Chelsea, Pool, Pompey and Blackburn, which are pretty much the 4 hardest
places to go. We have the easier fixtures come teh second half of the season.
Pool go to Chelsea in a few weeks so we will see how good they are then.
We can come back to this thread after Xmas and you will be proved wrong.
I cant believe you are even considering Pool as title contenders.
the top 4 can be disected even more. Its really the top 2 and then Arse and Pool.
Ive said preety much the same thing to my dad earlier.They never have the legs for the season and there defense will get tore apart very soon.We like Chelsea have quite a few injuries,but we have the cover.If the poo get the similar numbers out,they will crumble..........its all started with Skrtel,whos become quite a main figure in their side.....Time will tell but i think by Feb at the very latest the poo will be well out of contention

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Ya we have had difficult games but imo they have had harder ones . They've played us at home, Everton , Villa, City and Sunderland all away. Like us they have played 4 away games. I just think they have a better team this year. Riera is the best winger they've had in ages. And Skrtel has really matured also. Altough I do think Keano has been crap so far. I also think players like Anderson, Nani and Rooney need to chip in with more goals this year , otherwise wer fooked tbh.
I disagree on Riera. He was a flop at City and I dont see anything different now.
Ok, he can get by the odd player and whip in a few balls but thats what wingers
are supposed to do. Last few games he has been poor by all accounts and even
some Pool fans arent sure he will make the grade. I really dont think he will be
all that for them.

As for Skrtel, I agree that he has matured and is a very good defender. He is their
Vidic really. Tough as ****, no nonsense types. He suffered a bad injury yesterday
so he may actually be out for a fair while. Where Pool lack is the wide areas.
Their full backs and wingers are very average and without that they wont win
the league.

They have Aurelio, Dossena, Arebloa at full backs. The 'Big 2' have
Evra, Brown, Rafael, Bridge, Cole, Bosingwa. That position is so important yet
they are miles behind.

Look at the wide man also-People like Riera, Pennant and Kuyt lol
vs the likes of Ronnie, Cole, Malouda, Nani etc....

They have become too narrow and rely on 2 players EVERY game.
Besides Torres and Gerrard where are the World class players who can make a difference?

I just think there IS a gulf between the 2 teams and this highlights it.
They have had a good (or lucky as I would say) start to the season but that will
end soon. There is a long way to go, a very long way.
You are even to starting to sound like a Scouser mate, thinking 'its their year this year' :D

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I agree with Jazz. I'm not worried in the slightest. Take Gerrard and Torres out of that team and you have a mid table team at best - and I'm being serious.

The fact that when they beat us (deservedly so) they still only created 1 chance from there own creativity speaks for itself. There too goals came from total mess ups from VDS and Giggs.

They don't have enough quality in the long term to make it.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blade said:
City just have the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :D
If I was the kind of person to have a signature on a forum, that would be it. :D

All things considered I'll be very interested to see what happens after Christmas.

I'm not saying this will be their year but I think this year is going to be better for them than years past. They're showing grit and determination & you can't buy that.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I guess that ends City's laughable claims that they are title contenders this season.

A great comeback by Liverpool but they were helped by the sending off and their strongest team has struggled against Stoke and Man City. Let's face it, an injury to Torres would end their season.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Berbatov08 said:
Losers like them never have chance to be more than fourth place ..
max third place!
no worries.. they'll be losing after the chelski's game!
;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts