Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie has a massive dilema in the next 3 years involving a whole bunch of young defenders. There is a full list of quality defenders coming through the ranks at United at the moment to name a few .

J Evans
J Chester
Rafael
Fabio
Cathcart
Eckersley

I dont think they will all make it at United but all look like they are going to be class acts.

Yesterday we had Fabio and Eckersleys debuts and against Derby we had James Chester all look solid and reliable .

Add to that Cathcart who is holding his own in the physical Championship for Plymouth so we have some good youngsters.

So what do you think of the young defenders?

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
red dave said:
Fergie has a massive dilema in the next 3 years involving a whole bunch of young defenders. There is a full list of quality defenders coming through the ranks at United at the moment to name a few .

J Evans
J Chester
Rafael
Fabio
Cathcart
Eckersley

I dont think they will all make it at United but all look like they are going to be class acts.

Yesterday we had Fabio and Eckersleys debuts and against Derby we had James Chester all look solid and reliable .

Add to that Cathcart who is holding his own in the physical Championship for Plymouth so we have some good youngsters.

So what do you think of the young defenders?
I'm certain Evans, Fabio and Rafael will make it, in fact i know they will, the others I really haven't seen enough of them to be making wild judgements about their futures, but what I will say is that this batch of young players we've got at the moment is I think definitely the best we've had since the Beckham/Scholes etc era. I think maybe Fergie wants his successor to have luxury he was given of having a great generation of youngsters waiting to burst into the team.

By the way I've got a lot of family in Wythenshaw :D

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Is Eckersley,scholesys love child :D:D:D......Johnny Evans is the man of the moment with Da Silva duo in close contention.......anyone think Fergie wil lcall Simpson back to the ranks??

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Johny Evans Rafael and Fabio will sure be in our future team. The rest we shall see. They need more match experience. If it wasn't for all our injury list i think they wouldn't have gotten in the team. But it's always good to have promising youngsters giving themselves a shot in the first team.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Fabio and Rafael - same player, great attackers but both need to work on their defensive skills.

Thought Eckersley did well yesterday under difficult conditions (coming on cold with a pretty makeshift back four). I thought for sure he was going to take a penalty late on when ?? (can't remember who) went 'round him - you could see he had a brief rush of blood. But he had cover and made the right decision. He made one bomb forward - I was surprised at how fast he was. He seemed a little more defense minded than the twins.

Evans is almost a first team player now. I would be comfortable with him in the line-up against anyone.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Only Evans and the da Silva twins are good enough tbh. Evans is Premier League quality already and the twins are only 18. Eckersly, Chester and Cathcart are older than that already. Will be sold for a few mil in the next couple of years. Maybe one or even two might become squad players.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
i think rafael is a cert, as will be evans, who as noted above, is already a quality premiership defender. fabio showed yesterday that he definitely has the potential, but then he has to outdo the world's best left back in evra, who must still have a good 4/5 years at the least, he might not get into our side as quickly as his brother. our defence certainly looks impressive, and if we can keep that up, the rest of our team will fall into place.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Twins and Evans for sure. I'm also pretty big on Cathcart as well, he's been fantastic every time I've seen him, and mature for his age.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
moondog said:
Fabio and Rafael - same player, great attackers but both need to work on their defensive skills.

Thought Eckersley did well yesterday under difficult conditions (coming on cold with a pretty makeshift back four). I thought for sure he was going to take a penalty late on when ?? (can't remember who) went 'round him - you could see he had a brief rush of blood. But he had cover and made the right decision. He made one bomb forward - I was surprised at how fast he was. He seemed a little more defense minded than the twins.

Evans is almost a first team player now. I would be comfortable with him in the line-up against anyone.
Yep.

I had the same thoughts about Eckersley.

He looked good given the circumstances. I was afraid he might give away a penalty too, but did well not to lose his head.

He also displayed confidence going forward and I can actually remember two occasions where he went forward, on one occasion he almost burst through to the penalty box.

He's also looked good in the reserves (this he was reserve player of the year last season).

Anyway, think Evans, Fabio and Rafael will make the grade at OT.

In Evan's case, I think he can go on to be a regular starter.

Fabio and Rafael are definitely United quality, but might not necessarily be starters.

I reserve my judgment on Cathcart, as I thought Shawcross and Pique would make the grade at OT>

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I reserve my judgment on Cathcart, as I thought Shawcross and Pique would make the grade at OT>
Pique just got impatient IMO, not to mention he's from Barca, and I think that coupled with being a benchwarmer lead to him leaving. I think he could have made it here, but I'm glad Jonny Evans is here.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
piazza said:
Pique just got impatient IMO, not to mention he's from Barca, and I think that coupled with being a benchwarmer lead to him leaving. I think he could have made it here, but I'm glad Jonny Evans is here.
Pique played against Arsenal at OT last season (the one where HArgo scored the winning free-kick) and did well.

Some ppl on this site were saying he was nervous and even gave him some flak, but Pique did better at CB in that game than Wes Brown.

He does look about half a yard off the pace as a quality CB needs to be though. At times his running looked cumbersome.

Having said that, I was fairly confident he could have become a top quality defender, if he had stuck around,

And of course you're right about the reasons for him leaving.

I'm glad though, because his going meant Fergie had more belief in Evans and boy does h look right.

Evans has looked better in every game he's played this season than Pique.

Well..IMO anyway.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Yep.

I had the same thoughts about Eckersley.

He looked good given the circumstances. I was afraid he might give away a penalty too, but did well not to lose his head.

He also displayed confidence going forward and I can actually remember two occasions where he went forward, on one occasion he almost burst through to the penalty box.

He's also looked good in the reserves (this he was reserve player of the year last season).

Anyway, think Evans, Fabio and Rafael will make the grade at OT.

In Evan's case, I think he can go on to be a regular starter.

Fabio and Rafael are definitely United quality, but might not necessarily be starters.

What??!! Are you serious? Fabio was fantastic last night in his debut after not playing competitive football in a long time last night, his decision making was excellent, he was dribbling superbly and creating things, he knew when to release the ball and who to, he won a lot of tackles and never got caught out defensively. Rafael has been keeping Neville out of the team in his first season, looks better defensively every game, his enthusiasm rubs off on the team, and the team seemed to go flat after he went off against Derby.

Oh and by the way they are 15 years younger than Gary Neville! To suggest they will not become starters at United, is, IMO, insane! I think they will be 2 of the best, if not the best, full backs we've ever had.

The only thing that might hold either of them back will be that Evra, the world's best left back, has a good 4 or 5 years left, but there will be opportunities for Fabio in the mean time and he will only be maybe 23 when he overtakes Evra, which is still young for a defender.

Unless of course you were just talking about this season.. in which case i misunderstood you and this post was pointless!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts