Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, listening to 5 Live sport last night I heard a caller mention this but only touch on it as it wasn't his main point.

What he mentioned was clubs from London, so your Arsenal's, Chelsea's, Tottenham's, West Ham's, Fulham's etc... are at a disadvantage to other clubs in the League(s) because of the number of derbies they face each season.

I think we would all agree that all derbies add a little more bite and excitement to games, and take us for example. Man City, Liverpool....Everton and Bolton to an extent...are our regular derbies for the season. Take Arsenal for the London example, they have derbies with Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham, Fulham and all of them will go at it when they play with upsets more likely.

Either way, I thought it was an interesting view and I can see where the view was being made from.

What do ya think?

BTW, I think he was a Wolves fan..

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Makes alot of sense since two of the top 4 are from London and 3 of the top 6...

Oh wait, no it doesnt. Mentally weak players crumble in derbies, mentally strong players excel. Overall it has no effect.

Last time I checked the London clubs where all doing well anyway.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Makes alot of sense since two of the top 4 are from London and 3 of the top 6...

Oh wait, no it doesnt. Mentally weak players crumble in derbies, mentally strong players excel. Overall it has no effect.

Last time I checked the London clubs where all doing well anyway.
agreed...:thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Absolute rubbish, if anything it's an advantage as it means
less commuting, not to mention the advantage they have
when buying players. You can be as Red as you like but
nobody in their right mind would deny that London is as good
as Great Britain gets, which isn't much.

How many players have moved to London rather than a similarly
placed team in the Premiership?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
derbie matchs are over rated these days, not like a few years ago, these teams are more concerned with the teams around em in the league table than there home team rivales...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I wouldn't call Fulham v Tottenham a proper Derby to be honest.

You have the clubs in London have their derby. Spurs/Arsenal for example.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does it matter? 90 minutes is 90 minutes, if spurs played in portsmouth, they still have to play arsenal in the season, against the same players, i dont see the difference.:blink:

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
It'd be one team if Spurs had to play 6 teams from their borough, I hardly think Fulham v. West Ham constitutes a derby, like Stephen said.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I know it's a massive match but would you consider Arsenal Vs Chelsea a strong derby?

I say this because for me a intense derby has to have a strong rivalry or even a hatred between two clubs.

It's not just the geographical location, it's the atmosphere.

Arsenal and Chelsea are rivals only in the sense they're both big 4. There's not so much on an intense hatred there.

Compared to us & Arsenal. We're miles apart but that rivalry is a 1000 times more intense.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
That's only one side of the story.

How about the fact that they are in a city with several million people, so filling up their stadiums wouldn't really be aproblem if they offer good football.

next, they have a great deal when it comes to attracting youth players.

Since the inception of the - quite frankly retarded - 90 mile radius rule, clubs like United or Sunderland are at a disadvantage, while London clubs get to pick from literally hundreds of thousands of kids from all over the world who live in London.

What's the disadvantage?

Traffic?!?!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
That's only one side of the story.

How about the fact that they are in a city with several million people, so filling up their stadiums wouldn't really be aproblem if they offer god football.

next, they have a great deal when it comes to attracting youth players.

Since the inception of the - quite frankly retarded - 90 mile radius rule, clubs like United or Sunderland are at a disadvantage, while London clubs get to pick from literealy hundreds of thousands of kids from all over the world who live in London.

What's the disadvantage?

Traffic?!?!
....:thumbsup:

S

·
0 Posts
What's the disadvantage?
The clubs, the supporters and the teams are sh!te. (big disadvantage). :rofl:

By the way the Arsewipes only have 1 derby every season...Spuds.

Same as all the other clubs only have 1 derby, like United only have 1 derby
v bitters. In terms of hatred and rivalry UTD v dippers is more of a derby but the bitters games is UNITEDS derby.
A 'derby' has always been classed as a game between the two closest (in distance) rival teams.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts