Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i've been to see united this season i've been largely dissapointed with one lad who's been a legend for our club !
of course im talking about Giggs!
im sure united supporters are feeling the same as i am right now ? if you look back at the game yesterday against boro you will see it was his fault for giving it away and them going route 1 to alves, the point is his energy just isn't there even when he's been rested in midweek. experience isn't good enough im affraid you need something more ... an ability to change a game like park did when he came on but what has really frustrated me more than anything is that we are sacrificing a Tevez or an Anderson to make a position for (i hate to say it) a has been of which for me could end up costing us ? i think he may be a better player to bring oon but park deserves a chance and tevez scored vital goals how can he be taken off ? i couldnt believe it when watching the boro game ?
roma wednesday night we played much better football without him and we had more energy in the side even without tevez and for the most part vidaa

does anyone else have an opinion on this or am i just going mad ?:confused: :eek:

·
Banned
198 Posts
old, but still 24carrot solid gold nugget player he is. The way, when on form, he links up play like scholes and interchanges while doing the odd short mazy run and putting in a top cross.. Giggs is still up to the task, don'#t worry about that. But not as frequent as he was 18-25 ya get me?. He's 34 now man and still giving "todays kids!"a run for their money!!

Maybe Ferguson played Giggs to get his form up for now till end of season. Tev will get the lion share of playing time, but i think Giggs will also get minutes at critical times. He comes on and completley changes games with his experience and reading and udnerstanding of the gane... unrivalled imo. 750 games.. wolf whistle...* That's alotta running around...

So, basically, come end of season, Tevez and Giggs are going to be bang on form helping us win on both fronts...

·
23,699 Posts
There already, quite a while ago, exists 2 camps here on Giggs and to a lesser extent, Scholes (not part of this issue here though).

One group, especially the older members, has been warning and expressing concerns about the below-par performance of Giggs and losing patience with his constant loss of possession, lack of energy and speed, rendering us toothless in his area of play, countless mispasses and poor final delivery to facilitate an otherwise good scoring opportunity....

The other group still lives in the past about Giggs, singing praises of him and reminding what he could do....

Yes, Giggs is a legend and a faithful servant, no doubt about it but alas, he is now only a fading legend on the pitch. Nonetheless, a legend forever in our hearts.

·
Registered
488 Posts
True indeed that he's a legend in the hearts of many... But seeing what he's been playing recently, there is far too many miss-passes around the midfield... Which Ryan is always slow to react... And I have also noticed that he seldom tracks back or forcing opponents to lose ball... Most of the time I see Rooney tracking back so hard just to cover Ryan lack of fitness...

We have to admit that he's old already... You don't expect him to perform the way he used to be... Flanking down left or right? Can see that SAF is just putting him on for the apperances for United...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont mean to be getting on their backs after all we're still in the box seat, but it just dissapointed me seeing tevez and park not getting a fair crack because of someones reputation .. i think both should start wednesday night i cant wait for the game :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Giggs isn't having the best of seasons but he's still an important member of our squad. I actually think he's more effective playing through the middle these days because he can still pick a pass and draw out defenders with his intelligent movement. He just doesn't have the stamina to be racing up and down the left flank any more.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
guys - i know that giggs's been mediocre to say the least -but please - CHOSE WORDS WISELY WHEN TALKING ABOUT HIM... I do not want him to become a subject of mockery let alone hatred...

·
Registered
854 Posts
ye i kind of agree wit every1 here. i am gettin quite frustrated with giggs. yes he is a legend but he's not making enough impact at all to be starting, particularly a tough game like yesterday.

the best football i've see from giggs was when he played in the centre. now i'm not saying he shud play there now because we've got plenty of centre mids. but even along side o shea he was excellent in the centre. i don't tink his legs are up to playing on the wings these days.

·
Registered
675 Posts
we all know giggsy is legend at united, the amount of time he has served is incredible. but we all have to admit, who's losing it. its not just a bad season, its his age catching up with him. in my opinion he shudn't even start anymore.

we should start nani or park, and bring giggs on as a sub. fergie obviously has faith in him to continue starting him but i think thats his legend status getting in the way. he gave away a goal on sunday. imagine if that game was against chelsea for the title?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah he may not be having the best of seasons but is still a great assett to the squad and must be a big influence on some of the younger lads especially with the all the experience he has gained over 750 games.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
reddwarf said:
Giggs isn't having the best of seasons but he's still an important member of our squad. I actually think he's more effective playing through the middle these days because he can still pick a pass and draw out defenders with his intelligent movement. He just doesn't have the stamina to be racing up and down the left flank any more.

CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
guys - i know that giggs's been mediocre to say the least -but please - CHOSE WORDS WISELY WHEN TALKING ABOUT HIM... I do not want him to become a subject of mockery let alone hatred...
I dont need to add too much more to these 2 posts.
Its sad to see a player we have loved for so many years 'lose it'
to some degree. In my eyes he is a legend and he will deserve Sir
Bobby's record when he gets it.
It can be frustrating but we need to lay off him. His experience and
know how could prove vital in the coming months.
Even behind the scenes and at training he does an awful lot for the
younger players and they have become better and improved thanks
to Giggs' help.
Giggs is looking a bit tired but there is life in the old dog yet.
If he scores the winner in the CL final against the Scousers that will
shut a few people up......:p
Giggs=legend

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I dont need to add too much more to these 2 posts.
Its sad to see a player we have loved for so many years 'lose it'
to some degree. In my eyes he is a legend and he will deserve Sir
Bobby's record when he gets it.
It can be frustrating but we need to lay off him. His experience and
know how could prove vital in the coming months.
Even behind the scenes and at training he does an awful lot for the
younger players and they have become better and improved thanks
to Giggs' help.
Giggs is looking a bit tired but there is life in the old dog yet.
If he scores the winner in the CL final against the Scousers that will
shut a few people up......:p
Giggs=legend

yeh jazz is spot on giggs clearly is a fading force but im sure he can do a job from the bench next season

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i can't believe all of u...attacking Giggsy like this...he's been here 18 years...18...and counting...i realy can't remember another player...to be this loyal and of his quality...Ryan Giggs is a legend...a living legend. when u say Man Utd...u think of Giggs...when u say Giggs..u think of MAN UTD...he has a age..at 34 for years...for his role in the team...and in how many matches he played it is very clear why he has some bad periods....stop acusing him..he's trying his best but sometimes he doesn't succeds it...but...it's the age that stops him not his talent..so shut up everybody..and stop attacking him.
What do you want?..to play like Ronaldo?! it's impossible...we all know that...he had he's magnificient days...he still has them..but..in another way...instead of poiting fingers..i advice all Man Utd fans...to think before you do it...and of course..support the team...cause that's why we're UNITED!!!!!!
I just hope Ryan will shut his critics up and show what he's made of, in case a United fan...doesn't know;)...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think it's fair to say as of late Giggsy hasn't been in the best form of his time at United. He has gone missing in certain games and hasn't looked the player he used to at times. Obviously he is 34 now so we can't expect him to be playing the way he was 5 years ago, but United need to play the strongest possible XI, and can carry no passengers.

I'm not saying Giggsy is a passanger, but what I am saying is if the likes of Park/Nani are on form, then they must start. Just because Giggs has legendary status at OT, doesn't mean he should have a guarenteed starting XI place.

Giggs is though still showing flashes of brilliance, and the sort of class that has bought him those 750 United apperances. Perhaps he would be better coming off the bench, maybe against a tiring defence Giggs could really get at them and provide us an extra spark in attack.

No doubt about it, Ryan Giggs is a Manchester United legend, but it is quite sad seeing his career nearing an end. Giggsy can still offer a lot to United, but I hope SAF picks the right team for the right game, and doesn't pick the likes of Giggs/Scholes on reputation or sentement, but on merit and current form.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would tend to agree with most of the posts.

Ryan is a fading force, theres no getting away from that. And against Middlesbrough he was awful.

He hasn't been particularly good this season either. But when hes on form, hes still a good player. I think we'll see the best of him in the CL tbh, but I don't even think he should play.

I just get a feeling that Sir Alex doesn't want to substitute him, or drop him. He seems to take off players like Tevez, and the player who I think is highly under-rated, as I've said many times recently, Park. When things aren't going well, and we need to make changes, its always Park who gets substituted, no matter how well hes playing.

I think that, as you can see from the way I am praising him, Park deserves a chance. Since he came back hes on good form, and in the last two games he has been absolutely fantastic. He's set up both goals for Rooney, the second with a piece of skill that Ronaldo would be happy with, albeit a simple piece, and his overall perfomance in those games were incredible. Also since he came back, hes been playing better than Giggs.

If you read what I've said, you may think I've turned on Giggs. But I haven't. Hes still a good player, despite age catching up with him, and he may be more effective in the CL where Giggs has been a big game player over the years, and where older players tend to turn the clock back.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that not people are mentioning the part Sir Alex is playing in all of this.

Pardon me for stating the bloody obvious, but he's the guy that selects the team.

Fergie is picking Giggs not on form, but to send out a signal to the team. (I hear the cynics asking "What signal? Play rubbish badly and I'll pick you?")

No, that's not Fergie's intention. What he is doing is that by playing Giggs instead of (perhaps) more deserving players, he is giving them the chance to discover for themselves where they stand in the team and what they have to do to get in the team.

Fergie will start players if they are good enough and regardless of age.
BUT, if they are not quite at the top level yet, are overly selfish or not team-orientated enough, he's going to leave them out.

So by playing Giggs and O'Shea, as well as Anderson ahead of Nani and Pique he is sending out signals to those youngsters.

He's saying "I will play you, if you;re good enough and at the same time a team player. If not, I will pick those who have been loyal to the club and play for the team ahead of you. In addition, he is rewarding the likes of O'Shea and Giggs for their loyalty and dedication to the team.

There are some that will say you should always pick players based on form, but you can;t treat human beings like that. It might work in Football Manager, but it doesn't work in reality. (btw anybody remember the first few versions of Championship Manager where you just had to buy Neil Lennon and could become European Champions by playing a diamond 4-4-2? ... great times)

In summary, Ferguson takes a long term approach in players, as by the way do Mourinho and Wenger.

Giggs shouldn;t be blamed too much. He loves to play as long as you let him and he feels he can take it. He is also the vice-captain and so has to play. At the same time he's one of the few players who's been in the most pressurizing situations and has turned a game in an instance and when the chips are down are you really going to play Nani who has never experienced that sort of pressure or Giggs who's been there an done that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts