Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that the ajax goalkeeper is pure class... could be the main reason why ajax is doing well this season.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah from what i have heard this lad is quality. but there is no chance that utd will be looking to sign him since we have 3 good keepers and apparently guillermo ochoa on the way

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
manutdman said:
i heard that the ajax goalkeeper is pure class... could be the main reason why ajax is doing well this season.
As well as Hunterlaar banging in the goals for them.

·
23,699 Posts
United pounce for... Stekelenburg?

From goal.com but not from goal.com...

Manchester United target Netherlands World Cup 2010 goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg as Edwin van der Sar's long-term replacement - report - Goal.com

Manchester United have identified Netherlands World Cup 2010 goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg as the long-term successor to Edwin van der Sar, according to Oranje VI.

Stekelenburg, 27, emerged as the United's number one's replacement for the national team after impressing as custodian at Ajax. With van der Sar turning 40 in the coming months, this season is expected to be his last at Old Trafford.

Despite a high profile error in the quarter-final victory against Uruguay, when he let a Diego Forlan shot swerve past him, Stekelenburg has impressed in South Africa. These displays are believed to have edged him ahead of Olympique Lyonnais shot-stopper Hugo Lloris and Schalke 04's Manuel Neuer in Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer pecking order and he could yet arrive in Manchester in a year's time.

·
Aka Menlo(ve)
5,184 Posts
Hmmm.. interesting.

I don't really know too much about him, have only watched him this world cup, but I'd say he's pretty good.

On the downside we would have yet another goalkeeper who's name I cannot pronounce..

·
This is how it feels to be City....
15,156 Posts
Hmmm.. interesting.

I don't really know too much about him, have only watched him this world cup, but I'd say he's pretty good.

On the downside we would have yet another goalkeeper who's name I cannot pronounce..
Steh - Kell - En - Berg

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I haven't seen enough of him at all. He's had a good World Cup though, and from that he looks a good keeper, but as we know players having a good World Cup doesn't automatically mean success or that they're as good as they look.

Though I don't know how much truth in this. Holland in final + goalkeeper the same nationality as the current keeper = easy speculation.

·
Big Daddy
34,250 Posts
I haven't seen enough of him at all. He's had a good World Cup though, and from that he looks a good keeper, but as we know players having a good World Cup doesn't automatically mean success or that they're as good as they look.

Though I don't know how much truth in this. Holland in final + goalkeeper the same nationality as the current keeper = easy speculation.
True, but maybe Edwin has reccomended him to Sir Alex?

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
Meh.. I'll believe it when I see it. Kuszack's our next No.1 with Amos as back up, we wont be buying anyone for inbetween the sticks!

·
23,699 Posts
Ajax stopper set to spurn Arsenal for Manchester United - Sportingo

Arsenal will return to Ajax in January to bid for goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg but are due to be left disappointed.

The Netherlands international sprung to prominence during his country's run to the World Cup final and Arsenal attempted to secure his signature over summer.

Despite being in financial difficulties, the Amsterdam club decided to retain their star assets such as Stekelenburg and striker Luis Suarez due to their qualification for the group stages of the Champions League.

A January move had been mooted though the stopper has told his club he intends to stay at Ajax at least until the end of the season.

To add to Arsenal's woes, Premier League rivals Manchester United have also expressed an interest and sources close to the player suggest Stekelenburg would prefer a move to Old Trafford rather than the Emirates Stadium.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Joe Hart would have been nice, Neuer, Adler or Lloris would be good too but I'm not that concerned now that VDS is on top form. We will just have to replace him when he steps down, Kusz will be good enough as number 1 whilst we looked for a replacement.

·
23,699 Posts
Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Stekelenburg eyes United move

Keeper admits interest in Old Trafford switch.........

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg has not ruled out a move to Manchester United as he considers departing Ajax next summer.

The Netherlands international, who is out of contract with the Dutch giants in 2012, is expected to leave Amsterdam at the end of the season.

Ajax coach Martin Jol has linked Stekelenburg with a switch to Old Trafford, and while the 28-year-old has not heard anything from the Premier League club, he admits he would be interested in a potential move.

Interest

"That is a club where everyone wants to play," Stekelenburg told Dutch sports magazine NuSport. "If Jol said he is aware of the interest, I will take notice.

"(However) my agent and I haven't heard anything yet."

Whatever happens next year, Stekelenburg insists he will not be extending his contract at Ajax when it expires.

"No it won't happen," he added. "If you look at my contract it has only one year left after this season.

"Ajax wants money for me and I have no problem with that. Financially, it would be the most interesting to sell me this summer.

"However only I will decide about my future. I want to go to a top league and not to a relegation candidate.

"Otherwise I prefer to stay for one year longer at Ajax. I don't have to leave (next summer)."

The shot-stopper has ruled out making a move in the January transfer window, insisting he still has work to do in Amsterdam.

Battle

"I won't leave this winter break," he said. "Kenneth (Vermeer) won't be fit at that time and I don't prefer a move at that time.

"I started this season at Ajax to battle for the title and the Champions League adventure and I want to be there until the end.

"I believe in this squad. We can do a lot of beautiful things."

1 - 20 of 76 Posts